The reseeding thread

Just in on the reseed here with some urea. Will help kick it off now. For what was a wet field in spots you wouldn't know I was on it now. Will come back with 18s in a week or so and let it off for silage.

Attachments

• IMG_20210330_154105.jpg
    IMG_20210330_154105.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 121
So I have a 6ac field I need to reseed. My plan was to graze it off then spray it with roundup and plough (iv conventional 3furrow) and then run the land leveller on it a few times and or my small 8ft bamlett discs and then sow with grass seed barrow and roll.
Then i taught of hiring a disc harrow (370€ ) for 2. Days delivered and picked up in mg yard.
would i need to level after discs before I sow? Or will giving few runs of discs be enough ?

So I have a 6ac field I need to reseed. My plan was to graze it off then spray it with roundup and plough (iv conventional 3furrow) and then run the land leveller on it a few times and or my small 8ft bamlett discs and then sow with grass seed barrow and roll.
Then i taught of hiring a disc harrow (370€ ) for 2. Days delivered and picked up in mg yard.
would i need to level after discs before I sow? Or will giving few runs of discs be enough ?
Will you get the sods broken down enough in two days with just the disks?

My dad hires in disks, and hired in a contractor with discs. Both left the fields in an awful state. I had to rotovate to break down the sod, and also get it level.
If it’s not Stoney; I’d Plough.

disc will do a fine job if it properly burnt off but needs experienced operator, plenty passes at slightly different angles and cutting depths. by time you have it grazed and burnt you will be pushing into summer ?

So I have a 6ac field I need to reseed. My plan was to graze it off then spray it with roundup and plough (iv conventional 3furrow) roll!!and then run the land leveller on it a few times and or my small 8ft bamlett discs and then sow with grass seed barrow and roll.
🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Paw
why does no one roll the furrows?
its the easiest and cheapest cultivation pass you will do!!
it firms up the bed and finishes turning the furrows over while squashing the clods
if you work your ground and end up with lots of old turf on the top its probably from not rolling or not set the skims right

My dad hires in disks, and hired in a contractor with discs. Both left the fields in an awful state. I had to rotovate to break down the sod, and also get it level.
If it’s not Stoney; I’d Plough.

why does no one roll the furrows?
its the easiest and cheapest cultivation pass you will do!!
it firms up the bed and finishes turning the furrows over while squashing the clods
if you work your ground and end up with lots of old turf on the top its probably from not rolling or not set the skims right

So best bet plough, roll the ploughed ground then level a few times I found leveller done great job breaking up clods. Or i can run set discs over ploughed ground after rolling to break up clods. Timeing wise id say 2weeks and i’ll have it grazed tight.

The reseed tipping along nicely now. Didn't get to graze so is out for 1st cut silage. Going to be a nice pick of grass on it. Nice and clean and was never sprayed for dirt.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_160516.jpg
    IMG_20210501_160516.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20210501_160500.jpg
    IMG_20210501_160500.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 134
My re-seed done with the guttler looks well apart from where water stood and the chickweed,it was hammered with sheep till a couple of weeks back but looks well now.

If I do the same again it wants subsoiling.

Done the 3rd reseed/ wholecrop yesterday : slurry plough, flat roll (farmer done), lime, disc, land leveller x4 (farmer done also) fertiliser, sow, ring roll. It was very level and firm in fairness but the farmer went to big effort himself also.

Just in relation to discing from my expeirence you need to have a bare well burned off sod to start with, disc x 2, LIME, power harrow, then power harrow and sow. If the field is level to start with it will stay level, if it’s not level it’s not easy level with this method. I done a nice few reseeds like this over last few years all turned out lovely, a friend used to do the discing with a mandam

Need a bit of advice with a reseed I done recently. I burned off a field with roundup and 3 weeks later I got it direct drilled which was 19 days ago. The grass is starting to come up as you can see in the photos. But unfortunately the field is after getting covered In thistles since it was burned off. What is the best thing to do now. Is it too soon to spray off the thistles without affecting the grass?

Attachments

• 6352C43B-C5B2-46FB-A3A0-46FB4CC78B2F.jpeg
    6352C43B-C5B2-46FB-A3A0-46FB4CC78B2F.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 36B3FD66-3109-428C-9B9A-5BD6A6EF7D89.jpeg
    36B3FD66-3109-428C-9B9A-5BD6A6EF7D89.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 1C67B078-B066-4A5E-BA65-3FFB766690DC.jpeg
    1C67B078-B066-4A5E-BA65-3FFB766690DC.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 137
Need a bit of advice with a reseed I done recently. I burned off a field with roundup and 3 weeks later I got it direct drilled which was 19 days ago. The grass is starting to come up as you can see in the photos. But unfortunately the field is after getting covered In thistles since it was burned off. What is the best thing to do now. Is it too soon to spray off the thistles without affecting the grass?
Good chance those plants weren't growing when you sprayed.

Was there clover in the seed mix?

No clover. There was a good few thistles up when I sprayed but more came up after
I'd say the best option is to let the sward mature a bit and hit them with some kind of spray to target the thistles.
No idea what mind you!

Someone else will know how mature grass needs to be (if at all) before such action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to bale 30ac of reseeded ground last year for a neighbour. That got overtaken with thistles . All bales were dumped . Advice he got was spraying would check / kill the grass as it was too dry for spraying / and when grass was well established thistles too strong .

I'd say the best option is to let the sward mature a bit and hit them with some kind of spray to target the thistles.
No idea what mind you!

Someone else will know how mature grass needs to be (if at all) before such action.
@Cork (can't tag him for some reason?) Is good with these things.
I’d be using half rate mcpa,check the thistles rather than blitz them.

I’d be using half rate mcpa,check the thistles rather than blitz them.
I would be going with mcpa as @scoffcruddle says, but I would wait till the grass is at the 3 or 4 leaf stage and I would go at full rate and then go with Thistlex around this time next year, when the thistles are a small bit bigger than in your pics.

Back