The reseeding thread

very simple , unploughed ground is firmer than ploughed ground and can be grazed quicker as stock will do less damage , if you go to kilbeggan you will see that the grass on the nonploughed ground is stronger than on the ploughed ground , all sowed with the same sower on the same day . :tt2::yes:

give me a timescale then,as how much quicker then?

if so,did the ploughed plot get you method?
"plough , roller , 2 runs of powerharrow then 3 runs of the landleveller .......to get the ground level and firm "????

still cant see a pan being caused by a disc,more like compaction as someone already mentioned.

As the disc shears the soil the disc pulls itself down which combined with the disc angle could cause it to smear the soil at the disc edge and start to create a pan. Continual discing at the same depth will then build on the problem. Probably one of the reasons the disc/tine machines took off in the UK.

Are those using the power harrows as the primary pass running the tines in a sweeping or digging position?

As the disc shears the soil the disc pulls itself down which combined with the disc angle could cause it to smear the soil at the disc edge and start to create a pan. Continual discing at the same depth will then build on the problem. Probably one of the reasons the disc/tine machines took off in the UK.

very true, but not like ploughing a field at 8 inches for year on year, take a long time with a disc, rather than the one run in lea ground infront of the power harrow, cant see that creating the same ty[pe of pan as the plough year on year.

very true, but not like ploughing a field at 8 inches for year on year, take a long time with a disc, rather than the one run in lea ground infront of the power harrow, cant see that creating the same ty[pe of pan as the plough year on year.

To be honest I am not sure how long it would take but it would be more than one pass. My friends farm would have been disced for a few years and it was on the lighter land too.

James what did you run on the ploughing before sowing?

It got 3 runs of the powerharrow with the grass going in on the third run , we didnt bother bringing in the landleveller for all there is in it , a couple of the plots on ploughed ground are not level enough but they were trying to keep the cost down.

very simple , unploughed ground is firmer than ploughed ground and can be grazed quicker as stock will do less damage , if you go to kilbeggan you will see that the grass on the nonploughed ground is stronger than on the ploughed ground , all sowed with the same sower on the same day . :tt2::yes:

The direct drill so has to be the way forward. Going in with a p/harrow would only leave the ground in mush, once rain arrives

It got 3 runs of the powerharrow with the grass going in on the third run , we didnt bother bringing in the landleveller for all there is in it , a couple of the plots on ploughed ground are not level enough but they were trying to keep the cost down.

The ground must be in pure scutter after 3 runs of a powerharrow. what idiot of an advisor advised to do it that many times

Im going down to see this tomorrow should be interesting to see it, but im going with an opinion that this was set up in a way to show some of the newer type systems off, the ploughing and 3 runs of the ph would not be as firm is id like to do it, ground needs to be rolled or better still pressed to get the best results from a ploughing reseed.

Im going down to see this tomorrow should be interesting to see it, but im going with an opinion that this was set up in a way to show some of the newer type systems off, the ploughing and 3 runs of the ph would not be as firm is id like to do it, ground needs to be rolled or better still pressed to get the best results from a ploughing reseed.

That is why we roll twice once after sowing and again when its up.

A friend recommended that to us and it has worked well.

I agree with Ozzy on the overuse of the power harrow, unnecessary.

"we didnt bother" well then your not comlpeeting the job fully and your not compairing like with like,simple as,no wonder the others did better.

how much quicker then? iv ploughed pressed tilled leveledand sowed paddocks for intensive dairy farmers and had cows graizing in 40 days to the day.....so how much quicker than that then,id realy like to know

im of a very similar opinion. their not compairing the same conditions with each other,as james stated you need to level it a few times to get a good firm seedbed, but sure they "didnt bother" ,wheres the firm seedbed after 3 runs of the power harrow......it would be like a big massive spunge these days!!!

Plough, roll, 2/3 runs of triple k harrow, one run of power harrow with seeder, rolled again, works out well.

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

In fairness to teagasc I think they are trying their best to give all a fair show.
The plots are small and maybe that's why no one bothered bringing a roller but I agree the ploughed ground should have been rolled.it was very nicely ploughed and shallow too.
Their message is that all systems work and that will be to be seen.
The dry weather in july probably had an influence particularly on the disc drill (atchinson) as its seed was down deeper and woldnt dry out as quick.
No matter what any ploughed field would be in muck on top with all the rain yesterday imo but that's exceptional rain.

Last edited:
In fairness to teagasc I think they are trying their best to give all a fair show.
The plots are small and maybe that's why no one bothered bringing a roller but I agree the ploughed ground should have been rolled.it was very nicely ploughed and shallow too.
Their message is that all systems work and that will be to be seen.
The dry weather in july probably had an influence particularly on the disc drill (atchinson) as its seed was down deeper and woldnt dry out as quick.
No matter what any ploughed field would be in muck on top with all the rain yesterday imo but that's exceptional rain.

The biggest mistake they made was that they ringrolled it after sowing , I told them to flat roll it as it would give the seed a better contact with the soil , if I had known they were going to ring roll it I would have flat rolled it myself , but then they know best . Most of the ploughed ground plots are not level enough and have small stones loose on top , I wouldnt like to be mowing and raking new grass like this.

The 3 runs i gave it were light runs with the leveling bars doing most of the work , it firmed down good and well .

The biggest mistake they made was that they ringrolled it after sowing , I told them to flat roll it as it would give the seed a better contact with the soil , if I had known they were going to ring roll it I would have flat rolled it myself , but then they know best .

I assure you they do know best when using a ring roller, flat roller are the greatest heaps of shite ever welded together. ideal for smearing, which seems to have being what went on in the setup for this even. Teagasc seem to have an agenda on which came out the best.

Im all for DD grass seed as its the best method for quick turnaround and trafficability of the turf following reseeding, but also sow allot of grass after the plough. but never ever would I allow a pharrow into a field that going for grass. It pains me enough to use it on a real light run before sowing beet

I assure you they do know best when using a ring roller, flat roller are the greatest heaps of shite ever welded together. ideal for smearing, which seems to have being what went on in the setup for this even. Teagasc seem to have an agenda on which came out the best.

Im all for DD grass seed as its the best method for quick turnaround and trafficability of the turf following reseeding, but also sow allot of grass after the plough. but never ever would I allow a pharrow into a field that going for grass. It pains me enough to use it on a real light run before sowing beet

And why would teagasc have an agenda?
I reckon any "mistakes" people on here might think they made are a matter of opinion and due to oversight if anything.
Also the weather since has an influence on deciding whether decisions made were good or bad.
Hindsight is 20/20 vision.
See ye there for anyone whos travelling.Of course my plot will be the best--imo

And why would teagasc have an agenda?
I reckon any "mistakes" people on here might think they made are a matter of opinion and due to oversight if anything.
Also the weather since has an influence on deciding whether decisions made were good or bad.
Hindsight is 20/20 vision.
See ye there for anyone whos travelling.Of course my plot will be the best--imo

Don't forget the camera :thumbup2: :needpics:

Back