The reseeding thread

I tried that and it grew like hell where I tipped it on the floor for the lads to eat but nothing went through them
There's only certain varieties of white clover that can be fed to achieve good growing success. Some varieties will not work at all.

Does rvp or Italian grass make good silage if cut every 5 or so weeks? Do animals do well on this type silage in the winter ?

Does rvp or Italian grass make good silage if cut every 5 or so weeks? Do animals do well on this type silage in the winter ?
A man near me grows it but he is on extremely dry ground and has to have his winter feed sorted early in the year . I cut it for him for years but @dmaxman outfit do it now. He rotates it through tillage. Let’s say his main worry is not farming but everything is done right.

I have some, its a yeah and neigh, it rented land i took, always looks better than it picks, density just isn't in it. Give me a low thick crop anyday. It feeds out better as it will have higher sugars with the larger leaves

had planned to sow 8 acres of silage ground in a red clover/rye grass mix in April but the problem is there is some patches of thistle that need to be sprayed off. It now does not really look feasible with no clover safe post emergence sprays available anymore,..im now thinking of of just sowing grass seeds in april,using a normal post emergance spray and taking a cut of silage 9 weeks later,then scratch in the red clover..anyone and recommendations?

had planned to sow 8 acres of silage ground in a red clover/rye grass mix in April but the problem is there is some patches of thistle that need to be sprayed off. It now does not really look feasible with no clover safe post emergence sprays available anymore,..im now thinking of of just sowing grass seeds in april,using a normal post emergance spray and taking a cut of silage 9 weeks later,then scratch in the red clover..anyone and recommendations?

Given your location I would be concerned about sowing grass seed in June.

Also for red clover, you may forget about cutting at 9 week intervals too.

Need to use a plain mower also, will we see a few roller conditioners popping up? I know a couple of lads going down the red clover route this year with plans for sizeable acerages

the 9 week interval is cutting the new grass seed afte silage 9 weeks after sowing than stiching red clover in,..would ideally like to sow the clover at the same time as the grass seed in April but not being able deal with weeds is my fear

Did you not see fert going astronomical??
Surely a bit late to be buying the seed and fert already gone up. You should have had it in the ground since last August like me🤦.

Will there be that much of a demand, I reckon allot will be disappointed as there is a good bit more nutritional and minding in it over PRG, from my experience

Surely a bit late to be buying the seed and fert already gone up. You should have had it in the ground since last August like me🤦.

Will there be that much of a demand, I reckon allot will be disappointed as there is a good bit more nutritional and minding in it over PRG, from my experience
I'm not buying fert and the seeds were ordered in October
I was a bit slow and should have seeded in the autumn but hey ho

Can be done as I've sown mulitspecies on the curragh plains around that time last year. Was slow to get going but once the rain came it was grand and grew well

Be better to put it in with the grass seeds. If sown correctly then the weeds should not get much of a look in as the clover should choke it out depending on your rate of sowing. Red clover can be hard to establish from stitching due to it bring a naked seed and needs good soil contact to germinate unlike white clover

Back