The reseeding thread

DaDonegalLad

I
only thing ill say about it is ive never used that my self,but...
as with anything cut or top the field before spraying,wait 2 to 3 weeks then spray it

i had a acre paddock next door here that was full of docks,i baled it last year then sprayed the 3 week regrowth with a SU and had a massive 100% kill of the docks
i mowed it yesterday never seen it so clean just got to find some clover now

I am mowing after cows now so will Spray after the next graze.. only thing with new reseed is there is a lot of thistles so that squire ultra probably won’t do the job I want

Galwayden

How much grass seed would I need for an overseed of freshly cut silage ground? Plan on reseeding after the second cut in a month.

jf 850

Well. They cleaned it off well. Main thing I noticed was , after they finishing it , which was mainly the herb part , they dunged an awful lot . Not scuttery, just most an awful lot of it .
View attachment 109038

Well that picture was taken on the 18/6. Tonight I let them into it again . No bag stuff nor slurry since . 2.5 bags 10/10/20 at sowing 9 weeks ago.
I'm well Impressed.
20220706_213548.jpg
20220706_213522.jpg

headcase

Very Senior Member
Not anything over and above the 1st time anyway . They seem much keener on it this time .

I need to reseed a lot more , when I see how that grew .
It's always the case
Once you see how they produce you wonder why you never did it sooner

Ozzy Scott

Well that picture was taken on the 18/6. Tonight I let them into it again . No bag stuff nor slurry since . 2.5 bags 10/10/20 at sowing 9 weeks ago.
I'm well Impressed.
View attachment 110095View attachment 110096
you will always get a huge amount of mineralised N after killing off an older sward. this will really drive on the new sward for the next 6 to 9 months, after that i can be a very different story, I have a similar type sward that is getting ready to crash and burn having gone in last september

nashmach

Any recommendations for seed with good vigor and quick establishment?

Going into the reclaimed ground and wouldn't be surprised once it settles further if we have to go back with drains so nothing too expensive.

Has already got lime and will be rotavated and then sown (at least that's the plan).

jf 850

I'm well Impressed.
View attachment 110095View attachment 110096

They grazed it again , 4 grazings by 50 cows . I'm impressed enough with the output of it , and no fertiliser since sowing . Put 2500 gallons acre of dairy washings on it today .
Downsides
Cows shite a lot in the parlour , and seem dirtier , ie tails backs flies etc .
And you can't spray it for weeds . Even though I rarely spray reseeds . Few sow thistles in it , dunno where they came out of . It was ploughed . I might hit them with the knapsack .

Bog Man

Any recommendations for seed with good vigor and quick establishment?

Going into the reclaimed ground and wouldn't be surprised once it settles further if we have to go back with drains so nothing too expensive.

Has already got lime and will be rotavated and then sown (at least that's the plan).
Give Tom McGuinness a call.

DC95

Would it be ok to spray roundup this week with the hot weather. The paddocks I had planned on reseeding are starting to burn up in patches so I'm not sure how well the roundup will work. I was hoping to have it sprayed this week and leave it 3 weeks and then disc it and sow the grass seeds the 1st week of September.

headcase

Very Senior Member
Would it be ok to spray roundup this week with the hot weather. The paddocks I had planned on reseeding are starting to burn up in patches so I'm not sure how well the roundup will work. I was hoping to have it sprayed this week and leave it 3 weeks and then disc it and sow the grass seeds the 1st week of September.
I was going to do some
Same as you burning again but the cooch looks the greenest
Was going to spray late evening or early morning

Danny healy ray

Did you spray it ??