The reseeding thread

TMKF

So whose doing some reseeding this year
Are you bothering to plough?

What post emergence sprays are you using?

Best seed for over-wintering, silage ground or the amount of clover to include?

Pondering things like this myself.

Was talk of people spraying off and just grubbing up best as possible before chucking seed on. Any pics from anyone of how it went?

Must admit we did the same over a patch of a field which had shallow soil, ploughed the rest, wouldn't be any the wiser by now!! in fact dad actually commented that it came up a bit faster!! so could be some experimenting going on this year!!

@tmkf what would you use the post emergence for? not used anything here ever. have had patches of chickweed etc but nothing the topper and grazing didn't sort out!

i want to oversow a few acre this year to boost the silage quality
might find a achinson drill or hire a spring tine harroe with seeder

I consider most of the reseeding done over the last 2 years as very poor. Probably weather and the seedlings making a bad start, serious wild grass in a couple of the short rotation fields. question is whether to reseed if only a one or two year ley, will probably reseed along with all the rest of the seeding. Allot of the seed over the last few years has been very poor quality wise and it all cost big money

I consider most of the reseeding done over the last 2 years as very poor. Probably weather and the seedlings making a bad start, serious wild grass in a couple of the short rotation fields. question is whether to reseed if only a one or two year ley, will probably reseed along with all the rest of the seeding. Allot of the seed over the last few years has been very poor quality wise and it all cost big money
Agree totally any reseeding done here since 08 has performed very poorly.
We have reseeded ground going on twentys years in production which is still way ahead in yield compared to the newer ground.
One field reseeded here in 2011 was grazed three times in 2012.
Is it poor seed/weather or soil fertility or a combination of all three.

i used mg60 on land last year and thought it was a serious seed. I kept light weanlings on it till dcember and have an excellent cover on it at the moment. Will be turning stock onto it again in the next week.

@tmkf what would you use the post emergence for? not used anything here ever. have had patches of chickweed etc but nothing the topper and grazing didn't sort out!

Seedling docks and the chickweed. Has a few bad cases of chickweed and docks in reseed despite close grazing

Planning on reseeding a bit of silage ground this spring would have done it in the harvest but it was so wet.:no: How early could you go setting it this spring as would still like to get 2 cut`s off it.

Planning on reseeding a bit of silage ground this spring would have done it in the harvest but it was so wet.:no: How early could you go setting it this spring as would still like to get 2 cut`s off it.

Think you can forget about that - it needs some care for the first 6 months or so.

Planning on some here too.

Have never sprayed post sowing but as no slurry here docks are less of an issue.

Undecided on clover though but like Ozzy Scott says - some of our old swards perform much better than more recent sowings.

Agree totally any reseeding done here since 08 has performed very poorly.
We have reseeded ground going on twentys years in production which is still way ahead in yield compared to the newer ground.
One field reseeded here in 2011 was grazed three times in 2012.
Is it poor seed/weather or soil fertility or a combination of all three.

agree with nearly everything you say. Last decent reseeding year was in 2010. since then I have being unhappy with most jobs. I think it has been down to poor seed and poor weather during emergence. Some of the older swards are still leaving the new stuff for dust

Two reseeds down nearly side by side. One in 2002 one finished early last year, one from last year out did the other easily and doing brilliant still. Tightly grazed and chickweed dealt with.

Sprayed off ground last Sat using round up biactive
Will be seeding 22acres of maize stubble and 12 acres of very old grass ground.
Will use the plough across it all this time but will look to other methods next time.

What mixes people going for?

I've found that the powerharrow tends to leave the field a bit wetter compared to other methods of working the soil down, triple k, discing.

I've found that the powerharrow tends to leave the field a bit wetter compared to other methods of working the soil down, triple k, discing.

Have of late given it 2 run`s of the power harrow and then spread the seed . A neighbour give`s it 2 run`s of a disc harrow and then power harrow`s it leave`s it a bit dirty i think with a lot of scraw visible . Either way i think leave`s the ground with no skin and is easier damaged after it .
Anyone tried stitching or seeding with any other way that doesen`t involve breaking the skin of the land.

We undersowed a field of peas and barley two years ago ( maybe 4) and with the seed left over, overseeded a bare paddock. It was a guttler machine that did it all.

The paddock had a minor improvement yr 1, and barely anything yr 2. Was ploughed yr 3.

Yet I have seen others get great results.

Us being organic, I think the absence of sprays and early top dressing may reduce our suitability to oversowing?

Have 25 acres sprayed off with Roundup and scrub killer. Will plough as we're on heavy soil. Anything we sowed in last 18 months looks poor enough TBH, one field in particular which would be very wet is disasterous with the grass having died out of the wetter areas of it completely, we reckon the roots wern't established deep enough before the wet weather, and rotted from being.swamped. Newer grasses did perform better last year though, anything over 10 yrs old seriously lagged behind.

Tilling will be one run of the roller, 2 runs of the triple K harrow (one lenght ways, the second crossing) then in with one run of the one pass, then ring rolled as we're on sticky soil.

Have 25 acres sprayed off with Roundup and scrub killer. Will plough as we're on heavy soil. Anything we sowed in last 18 months looks poor enough TBH, one field in particular which would be very wet is disasterous with the grass having died out of the wetter areas of it completely, we reckon the roots wern't established deep enough before the wet weather, and rotted from being.swamped. Newer grasses did perform better last year though, anything over 10 yrs old seriously lagged behind.

Tilling will be one run of the roller, 2 runs of the triple K harrow (one lenght ways, the second crossing) then in with one run of the one pass, then ring rolled as we're on sticky soil.
dont cross the runs ffs
just angle it not cross it

dont cross the runs ffs
just angle it not cross it

Have crossed latter years and found it a great success!! But yea, maybe a slight angle might be more anserable. My experience has been that if you just work along with the way it was ploughed, it's a right hoor whenever you cross the field for fertiliser spreading mowing etc. in time.

Have crossed latter years and found it a great success!! But yea, maybe a slight angle might be more anserable. My experience has been that if you just work along with the way it was ploughed, it's a right hoor whenever you cross the field for fertiliser spreading mowing etc. in time.

i tend to angle the first run then work the second the way i want to work the field:thumbup:

Have about 8 acres used for silage permenant pasture fairly level,going to reseed this year plough it after taking silage of it would i need to spray it before cutting silage or would i get away with just ploughing it in after silage is made.Thanks.

Have about 8 acres used for silage permenant pasture fairly level,going to reseed this year plough it after taking silage of it would i need to spray it before cutting silage or would i get away with just ploughing it in after silage is made.Thanks.

Spray off 3 days in advance of harvesting is best

If its level then dont plough it , it mightnt be as level afterwards and it will take it longer to get going , also it takes round up 5 days to get to the root , so spray 5 days before you cut it.

I have had silage sprayed off over 2 weeks during bad weather, you get super silage by spraying off as the plants calls on all its reserves to try and survive

Back