The reseeding thread

D3EFCF0F-C4BF-4905-857A-A466CAC3EA4D.jpeg
E0093491-B37F-42AE-9774-F0F829A50C69.jpeg
0677986C-4F71-4733-9402-BD9F60B9968F.jpeg

Sown the 10th of April.
Ploughed, 1 run of power Harrow, fert spread, sown then with apv on power Harrow on 2nd run. Ring rolled north south and then east west. Finally starting to take off. Should be grazing lightly in maybe 15/18 days. @ShaneB140 ’s set up sowed it, looks a super job.
Abergain, aberchoice, Aston energy and oak park.

View attachment 91789View attachment 91790View attachment 91791
Sown the 10th of April.
Ploughed, 1 run of power Harrow, fert spread, sown then with apv on power Harrow on 2nd run. Ring rolled north south and then east west. Finally starting to take off. Should be grazing lightly in maybe 15/18 days. @ShaneB140 ’s set up sowed it, looks a super job.
Abergain, aberchoice, Aston energy and oak park.
Good looking strike, no clover ?, Stoney looking ground.

That looks very good. I have always found April a great month to reseed a field, usually you are back in grazing within in two months and you will get a huge amount off it for you rest of the year.

I have a bit of ground sprayed off. It's "challenging" land. About 12" plus, of peat over solid channel subsoil .I'm looking for advice on suitable grass seed. I have used heavy land mixes in the past, but I'm not impressed. I'm inclined to go with a single variety .
Willing to try anything.
20210506_192852.jpg

Other side of the hedge.
20210506_193001.jpg

Had a look at the Case IH 115 in the link.Its French alright;direct import.
Nice and tidy on original Michelen tyres by the looks of it.Everything seems to work apart from loader softride but that might have been setting rather than broken .
Slight weep on turbo but could be just an oil seal.
Has the manual injector pump .
Very little wear on rear linkage .
Nice to drive with cab/front suspension/air seat and the integrated elec. joystick handy but very sensitive .Only thing I forgot was to actually see what headstock the loader had .
Didnt like the "detent " on the joystick but perhaps it would take getting used to .
Also found the foot throttle stiff .
Fiberglass bonnet not as faded as it looks in the pics to be fair although couple of bits cracked on it .
Needs a PUH .
Definitely would need a manual as more buttons and settings than I would be used to .
By the way the "missing" hand throttle is actually beside your right elbow as part of the console mounted on the seat .

I have a bit of ground sprayed off. It's "challenging" land. About 12" plus, of peat over solid channel subsoil .I'm looking for advice on suitable grass seed. I have used heavy land mixes in the past, but I'm not impressed. I'm inclined to go with a single variety .
Willing to try anything.
View attachment 91851
Other side of the hedge.
View attachment 91852
I am told that on heavy land like that that the best thing to do is go for the most palatable variety of grass seed that is possible to graze at a variety of different levels of cover as you will have to pick and choose your grazing opportunities dependent on weather. You want the stock to get in, graze it hard, and get out as quickly as possible. So even though they are probably a bit more open, i would say tetraploids are the job.

Willing to try anything.
View attachment 91851
Other side of the hedge.
View attachment 91852
I would be going with something that has serious roots. Cocksfoot, fescue and Timothy making up nearly half of the mix. No point putting fancy varieties into that ground that will be gone in 3 yrs if even.

Willing to try anything.
View attachment 91851
Other side of the hedge.
View attachment 91852

What's your plan there mixed fleet? Disc or plough or are you levelling it a bit first?

I done three separate fields this year for the one guy.
One of them is after failing due to rabbits and the other one the have it are severely tight.
What options has he to cure the rabbit problem.
Don't say shoot them every time you walk into the field there could be 30 rabbits walking around it.

I done three separate fields this year for the one guy.
One of them is after failing due to rabbits and the other one the have it are severely tight.
What options has he to cure the rabbit problem.
Don't say shoot them every time you walk into the field there could be 30 rabbits walking around it.
Shooting them is the only option I think, there is a big demand for lads who do it

Shooting them is the only option I think, there is a big demand for lads who do it
I'd honestly say it's nearly impossible to shoot them.
They nearly have the ditches knocked they have so many burrows dug.
They are even lifting stones in one of the fields.
I kid you not!!!

if the reseeds are near spraying stage the spray on the grass will put them off for a while. we had rape here being ate out from rabbits so we put up 2 strands of electric fencer up , top one about 8 or ten inches high. it kept them out bar the odd one, it actually killed one who got caught in the wire. great fun first evening seeing them running into the wire and jumping back.
They have it ate down to practically nothing in half the field we are a bit away from spraying it yet.
We were afraid of crushing the small grass seeds going over them with the tanker

I know you were saying shooting might not work but if you get someone there at night with a .17 or air rifle you’ll take 100 out no bother at all they won’t run away with guns that small, where abouts is the area ? Iv a friend in askeaton limerick that might be able to help

About 15 years ago we got over run with rabbits,a couple of lads came one night and blitzed them,we never had any bother since.

Back