The reseeding thread

Not anything over and above the 1st time anyway . They seem much keener on it this time .

I need to reseed a lot more , when I see how that grew .
It's always the case
Once you see how they produce you wonder why you never did it sooner

Well that picture was taken on the 18/6. Tonight I let them into it again . No bag stuff nor slurry since . 2.5 bags 10/10/20 at sowing 9 weeks ago.
I'm well Impressed.
View attachment 110095View attachment 110096
you will always get a huge amount of mineralised N after killing off an older sward. this will really drive on the new sward for the next 6 to 9 months, after that i can be a very different story, I have a similar type sward that is getting ready to crash and burn having gone in last september

Any recommendations for seed with good vigor and quick establishment?

Going into the reclaimed ground and wouldn't be surprised once it settles further if we have to go back with drains so nothing too expensive.

Has already got lime and will be rotavated and then sown (at least that's the plan).

I thought I’d a pic of it but can’t find it now, I must look and see what it’s like atm next time I’m down near it. It doesn’t show up half as much in the first cut but the second the last 2 years seems to have had a good bit showing
I meant to come back to this one, mowed the second cut the other week and the field was full of clover
0737EC27-561B-42F9-8F70-32B9A41D9955.jpeg
485AD1F4-F19A-491D-8E51-15CBD883408C.jpeg
4A79AEA2-E9DF-4752-9057-3E882A71EEA9.jpeg
B23FA601-9B58-4E37-8478-AD224E272F88.jpeg

Well that picture was taken on the 18/6. Tonight I let them into it again . No bag stuff nor slurry since . 2.5 bags 10/10/20 at sowing 9 weeks ago.
I'm well Impressed.
View attachment 110095View attachment 110096

They grazed it again , 4 grazings by 50 cows . I'm impressed enough with the output of it , and no fertiliser since sowing . Put 2500 gallons acre of dairy washings on it today .
Downsides
Cows shite a lot in the parlour , and seem dirtier , ie tails backs flies etc .
And you can't spray it for weeds . Even though I rarely spray reseeds . Few sow thistles in it , dunno where they came out of . It was ploughed . I might hit them with the knapsack .

Any recommendations for seed with good vigor and quick establishment?

Going into the reclaimed ground and wouldn't be surprised once it settles further if we have to go back with drains so nothing too expensive.

Has already got lime and will be rotavated and then sown (at least that's the plan).
Give Tom McGuinness a call.

Would it be ok to spray roundup this week with the hot weather. The paddocks I had planned on reseeding are starting to burn up in patches so I'm not sure how well the roundup will work. I was hoping to have it sprayed this week and leave it 3 weeks and then disc it and sow the grass seeds the 1st week of September.

Would it be ok to spray roundup this week with the hot weather. The paddocks I had planned on reseeding are starting to burn up in patches so I'm not sure how well the roundup will work. I was hoping to have it sprayed this week and leave it 3 weeks and then disc it and sow the grass seeds the 1st week of September.
I was going to do some
Same as you burning again but the cooch looks the greenest
Was going to spray late evening or early morning

Did you spray it ??

Oversowing surprised me this week. Almost 12 weeks after sowing, there's chicory popping up all over the place, red clover coming really well, and the white clover has doubled per m². Even the fields that were sown by walking in by the cows are really doing well after the dry week.

20220815_195159.jpg
20220815_195107.jpg

Back