The reseeding thread

Sown 25th of September. Was in barley for 3 years. I still get the nightmares
4C5A1390-6AF6-49E2-9421-19D54145A5AF.jpeg

And no I haven't lost the plot. My grandfather passed away in the early 90s was the last time sheep grazed our land. Bloody barley took off after sowing the grass seed so asked a neighbor for a lend of some sheep see could we graze the barley down so it doesn't kill the grass.

Attachments

• IMG_20221125_095346.jpg
    IMG_20221125_095346.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 138
And no I haven't lost the plot. My grandfather passed away in the early 90s was the last time sheep grazed our land. Bloody barley took off after sowing the grass seed so asked a neighbor for a lend of some sheep see could we graze the barley down so it doesn't kill the grass.

Them Lexions must be throwing out a lot of grain

I'm assuming you did not plough that post harvest so any bits of grain would have grown.

I would not have been concerned, the grass will out compete it.

Them Lexions must be throwing out a lot of grain

I'm assuming you did not plough that post harvest so any bits of grain would have grown.

I would not have been concerned, the grass will out compete it.
The deutz cut that field. No didn't plough. It weird, no grain visible on the ground but it grew like hell. Our biggest worry was the barely would die off or fall over and smother the grass. Hopefully after a bit of a graze be enough to let the grass on.

The deutz cut that field. No didn't plough. It weird, no grain visible on the ground but it grew like hell. Our biggest worry was the barely would die off or fall over and smother the grass. Hopefully after a bit of a graze be enough to let the grass on.

If the ground is dry enough for the woolies, it will help the grass tiler nicely anyway

Field of ley that was burnt off at the end of March 22 . Spring Barley sowed 3 week of April . 3 ton odd harvested in August . Had half intended sowing a 2nd crop of barley , but decided late to reseed this one , and repeat the process with an adjoining field next yr .
Contractor gave it 2 runs of a grubber mid September, at different angles . We picked 7 7ft6 buckets of stones off it . A week or 10 days later , he gave it a run of a powerharrow , at another angle. And then sowed it with powerharrow/drill combo on the 26 th of September, with Glanbia Premium One Cut And Graze .
Was slow enough coming up . The 7.5 acres got 2 bags of 10 10 20. It did very well in the past month .
20221220_133353.jpg
20221220_133343.jpg

Bought a parcel of land just over a year ago and getting around to sorting it out. Land was long term rented so probably wasn't the best cared for.

There are a few fields that need a bit of drains in them and heavy crop of rushes wiped.
Should I burn the fields off, drain and then reseed or is there another order of doing it that would work better? Very heavy thatch on the ground.

Could I get away without ploughing? Hard to say I know without photos, but what generally is the approach to take? I'm assuming that pH and the p and k needs looked at too.

How long after reseeding would it be until I could put cattle on? Would be thinking that doing the work towards end of summer might be best as I'd get at least a bit of the grazing season from it - wise thought?

I'd drain and then burn off. You might be glad of the bit of grip that the current grass will give.

Do not spare the lime. Ploughing vs not depends on how rough it is post draining.

You are talking 6 weeks or so of good growing conditions post sowing before grazing. Just be aware if you leave it late like you say, a wet autumn will make it difficult to get back on it.

I'd drain and then burn off. You might be glad of the bit of grip that the current grass will give.

Do not spare the lime. Ploughing vs not depends on how rough it is post draining.

You are talking 6 weeks or so of good growing conditions post sowing before grazing. Just be aware if you leave it late like you say, a wet autumn will make it difficult to get back on it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure whether to kill off the rushes and just get some sheep in to eat it down bare rather then Reseed.
Will think about drain it first, kill rushes and apply lime to see how that effects it. If all good then reseeding in a year or two might be the best plan. Can old grass be rejuvenated without a Reseed for grazing?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure whether to kill off the rushes and just get some sheep in to eat it down bare rather then Reseed.
Will think about drain it first, kill rushes and apply lime to see how that effects it. If all good then reseeding in a year or two might be the best plan. Can old grass be rejuvenated without a Reseed for grazing?
In my eyes if mortone is applied properly and timed correctly it will kill the rushes. Will need to do them every few years probably but the bull will be gone.
Could you mulch them and spray regrowth? Sheep do a great job of cleaning a place. Maybe overseed then to rejuvenate?

Bought a parcel of land just over a year ago and getting around to sorting it out. Land was long term rented so probably wasn't the best cared for.

There are a few fields that need a bit of drains in them and heavy crop of rushes wiped.
Should I burn the fields off, drain and then reseed or is there another order of doing it that would work better? Very heavy thatch on the ground.

Could I get away without ploughing? Hard to say I know without photos, but what generally is the approach to take? I'm assuming that pH and the p and k needs looked at too.

How long after reseeding would it be until I could put cattle on? Would be thinking that doing the work towards end of summer might be best as I'd get at least a bit of the grazing season from it - wise thought?
As you say hard tell without pics or knowing the land type etc.
What you depends on your budget and how much work you want to put into it.
At a minimum I would cut the rushes, always use a pz rotary here. Cut them to the ground. So doesn't have to be an expensive operation. Spray the regrowth with an mcpa product, I would usually spray with weaker mix than instructed, a sticker is a help. If there is regrowth spray again.
Depending on the soil type id expect you are safe to go ahead and apply lime, it's not been done for years most likely by the sounds of it
If the ground can get slurry or dung that would help with your fertility and rejuvenate growth. Keep grass growing and it will help suppress the rushes.
Thats what I would do over the next year or more, get your land and fertility right and then reseed. I would consider ploughing, of the ground has been pushed and growing rushes it should help, but that depends on the soil type again.
I would soil test too but that's up to you if you want to check it now and again later but you should be safe enough working away as I said asap.
But all depends on the particular situation.
Others will have different methods and experience.
Grazing practice is important too. Avoid constant stocking add it gives no chance for grass to overpower the rush.
I found meadowing helps for that reason if it's possible.
Just my tupence

We’ve a ten acre bit of ground that’s not fit for cows, used to be full of rushes four feet high and can be drowned wet, used to be stocked with twenty or so yearlings and got fertiliser after it was grazed, sprayed off the rushes one year and went with the rush lick for the regrowth every year since, less stock on it now and less fertiliser has made it much drier, can get the rushes cut early in the year now and much better piece of land now for dry stock

In my eyes if mortone is applied properly and timed correctly it will kill the rushes. Will need to do them every few years probably but the bull will be gone.
Could you mulch them and spray regrowth? Sheep do a great job of cleaning a place. Maybe overseed then to rejuvenate?

I know that you have bought the land and want to hit the ground running . I have a bit of land beside myself and @Mf240 rented from an elderly relative . It was never limed , very little fertiliser applied , but nearly worst of all , half grazed , and topping was 6 or 8 inches high to brighten up the look of it . I got an awful scutching with redwater the 1st year . I spread 18 6 12 on it , rotationally grazed it , topped it with a mower , as in an inch high . Spread lots of dung and slurry. It's not as good as a reseed obviously, but a dramatic improvement. One simple shore has improved a wet spot immensely.

Reseeding is a great job , but costs a lot done properly, and a waste of time if nutrition isn't addressed fully .
You will have even better success with a reseed , if you build up the nutrition for a couple of years , drain the wet spots , and spray the worst of the weeds first .

Thanks for all advice. Is told that with the fresh rushes 1 - 2 years old that cutting would thicken them and the best approach would be to hit them hard with mcpa and they should be gone with a year or two.

Makes sense to get the soil fertility right before considering a reseed. Might look into getting in some ewe lambs to graze the field hard and then sort out the drains. Spray rushes and get the soil pH analysed before spreading some lime.

I know that bulk lime is better than gran lime but I'm near houses and don't want hassle. Is there much in it? Are the boom spreaders for bulk lime good at keeping the dust down?
Nearby contractor spreads liquid lime with each 1000 gallons containing 2 tonnes of lime.

Last edited:
Domt bother with anything till you get a soil test and dig a few holes with a spade to see whats there
If you need lime dont waste your money on prilled,its 10x the price

Thanks for all advice. Is told that with the fresh rushes 1 - 2 years old that cutting would thicken them and the best approach would be to hit them hard with mcpa and they should be gone with a year or two.

Makes sense to get the soil fertility right before considering a reseed. Might look into getting in some ewe lambs to graze the field hard and then sort out the drains. Spray rushes and get the soil pH analysed before spreading some lime.

I know that bulk lime is better than gran lime but I'm near houses and don't want hassle. Is there much in it? Are the boom spreaders for bulk lime good at keeping the dust down?
Nearby contractor spreads liquid lime with each 1000 gallons containing 2 tonnes of lime.

You should have no problems spreading lime once the wind is blowing the right way. 5 minutes after spreading and you won't know it.

If your neighbours create hassle over lime, I dread to think what they will say about slurry!!

I didn't realise until recently that people reseed without ploughing..... on typical land is there much of a difference in the long term?

I'm a part time farmer, with little enough time for going around ten acres picking stones and I'm told that by reseeding without ploughing I'd be spared all that. Basically I'm looking to reseed with little enough input from me (getting the contractor to do as much as possible). Is that a reasonable assumption that I'd get it sprayed off, contractor comes in and reseeds and 6 weeks later (appropriate conditions allowing) I should have a decent paddock?

I didn't realise until recently that people reseed without ploughing..... on typical land is there much of a difference in the long term?

I'm a part time farmer, with little enough time for going around ten acres picking stones and I'm told that by reseeding without ploughing I'd be spared all that. Basically I'm looking to reseed with little enough input from me (getting the contractor to do as much as possible). Is that a reasonable assumption that I'd get it sprayed off, contractor comes in and reseeds and 6 weeks later (appropriate conditions allowing) I should have a decent paddock?
At the best of times yes. Do over 400 acres here a year and very very little is ploughed. All disced and powerharrowed.

The disc will still bring up stones but maybe not as many as the plough. Plus the disc doesn't rip up roots or that like a plough.

The 6 weeks timeframe really depends on the environmental factors. If everything goes perfect then 6 to 8 weeks for grazing is doable but if ya get too much rain or not enough then that could delay growth same as if you got a hash wind for a week or that

Back