The youth of today, grumpy old men and nice women.

I love living in this country but I think that the travel and possibly work abroad is very beneficial . Ireland is a small country. I think it's good to experience other cultures , ideas, weather, Etc.
Having said that everyone is different. It's more important and also a privilege to be able to make a living at what you like doing @Masseyrk662 I think your getting on better than you think

I worked on building sites in London for a couple of years when I was in my 20s. Would have been the late 80s into the early 90s. All I dreamed about was coming home to farm when I was there. I came home with a good bit saved and put every penny into the farm and never looked back. Definitely more work around now off farm in Ireland.

this ties in with sone of the earlier posts about sone people who Go away for the big money and then whining when they come back when it’s now how they want it
https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...n-dubai-not-reflected-in-pay/a1514775658.html
https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...n-dubai-not-reflected-in-pay/a1514775658.html
While he is on the older side of me (not by much may I had) but people in their late 20s there and they have a serious quality of life, weather travel opportunities and well paid. They to have considerable time off for Easter and due to their geographical location within a few hours can be in many tourist hot spot. There's a very good friend of mine gone since August and I think she said she's seen 9 different counties since she's gone.. I don't see how anyone who leaves to go over to these conditions for a few years and give out when their home, the man in the article could have different circumstances but I'm sure he enjoyed himself in those few years.

I cannot see why service abroad should contribute. The pay scale for teachers is done on years of service worked here, now some do get years of service added for teaching in the UK but the curriculum is completely different out there so why should the years of service be considered on the Irish pay scale. Stay here and work if you want to stay climbing the scale

this ties in with sone of the earlier posts about sone people who Go away for the big money and then whining when they come back when it’s now how they want it
How many contradictions are allowed in one piece. he is 42 and talking about his own education costs, saving for a house, and not able to get a mortgage. I actually shocked his wife work years are recognised.

This discrimination sounds like a awful thing

Teaching is surely one thing it's hard to correlate experience across countries as curriculum is probably different so makes sense it's not factored into experience when coming back to Ireland. Even at that the article suggests some types of schools and experience are considered

Might sound harsh but sounds like he didn't do his research when emigrating and is now giving out that he's hard done by for his own mistake. He's still probably in the money vs someone who didn't emigrate as the job paid off his loans and gave him a house deposit so he's hardly got much to be giving out about.

At 42 and married you'd think he'd have copped it before packing his bags in either direction.

I don’t mean to sound hateful to him or hypocritical at the same time, but tough fuckin luck to him and join the club! We’ve all made decisions that were great at the time but had the carry the consequences later on when they came back to bite us in the arse later on I doubt he’s the only person struggling to get a mortgage and I would the imagine the majority wouldn’t have his steady job

Teaching is surely one thing it's hard to correlate experience across countries as curriculum is probably different so makes sense it's not factored into experience when coming back to Ireland. Even at that the article suggests some types of schools and experience are considered

Might sound harsh but sounds like he didn't do his research when emigrating and is now giving out that he's hard done by for his own mistake. He's still probably in the money vs someone who didn't emigrate as the job paid off his loans and gave him a house deposit so he's hardly got much to be giving out about.

At 42 and married you'd think he'd have copped it before packing his bags in either direction.
As friends working in banking often say, you won't find a harder profession to deal with, financially.

I have seen it numerous times with lads heading to dubai teaching. They seem to forget that in the main they are over there short term and to maximise savings.

Lads get caught up in the lifestyle and end up worse off. That teacher has learnt a life lesson in that it is hard to out save property price inflation. If you can afford it now, buy it now.

I cannot see why service abroad should contribute. The pay scale for teachers is done on years of service worked here, now some do get years of service added for teaching in the UK but the curriculum is completely different out there so why should the years of service be considered on the Irish pay scale. Stay here and work if you want to stay climbing the scale

They lost that argument when they brought in Bench Marking. A relative worked in industry for 25 years and then went teaching after doing HDip . They tried to start her off on the lowest scale. Well they picked the wrong person to deal with .
She was warned not to rock the boat as job not permanent etc . Big Mickey administrator in the VEC was bypassed and she went higher and got her pay scale to reflect her well documented experience in industry .

Back