The youth of today, grumpy old men and nice women.

There's a good reason for the shortage of truck drivers. There used to be a heap of lads up until 6 or 7 years ago with their own trucks hacking for lads but then these fellas decided to replace and undercut all the small time haulers with cheap drivers from eastern Europe and Russia. Back to the present day all these foreigners are moving back home or are getting gate and now there's a scarcity of drivers and trucks.

To put it plainly big hauliers started paying peanuts and didn't expect to get monkeys so now they're putting rates back up and trying to get the lads that they put out of buissnes back working for them and of course they won't after getting stabbed in the back like that. I have no remorse for them big haulers winging about drivers because they brought it upon themselves.

Another thing that doesn't help is you'll have to spend near 3000 before you can get your artic lisence.
There should be grants for youngsters regards hgv licensing,I regret not doing mine.

It's call conscription, that's why most of the eastern European lads have their license
They get them in the army and the half of them can't even hook up a trailer. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I had lads like that driving trucks for me. It's a wonder they haven't killed anyone yet.

In my time in school as the summer holidays approached the chatter around the yard at lunch time would be who had gotten a job with so and so contractor for the summer. It was a right of passage and town lads were as eager if not more so then farmers son's to follow a tractor. No air conditioning or Powershift gear boxes either and mirrors were optional or the size of motor bike ones but lads were well able to drive. Soft parenting, handy money and fcukin computer games have destroyed young lads today.
I dont think it has much to do with how keen lads are to go driving tractors. Around here the problem seems to be that contractors are too fusy, they nearly exclusively want farmers sons to drive for them, which I know some people will say is because of experience and that but that's not always the case.

I know people who haven't an acre to their name and you could put them on anything and they d be well able to drive it and i know lads with hundreds of acres who I wouldn't let drive nails. Even so if experience is a problem the contractor should take the time to teach them and learn them to drive and operate machinery.

I spent half the summer looking for work with a contractor with no success so I spent the first half of the summer helping a neighbour down the road on his farm. I had to go to dublin to get a job on a tractor drawing diggers from site to site.

There's plenty of lads willing to drive tractors there's just no one there to give them a chance.

They get them in the army and the half of them can't even hook up a trailer. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I had lads like that driving trucks for me. It's a wonder they haven't killed anyone yet.
You think they haven't killed anyone? Just no statistics, I did the artic a few years ago, probably around €3000. It's not cheap but it's hardly end of the world stuff either really, considering you can get a job straight away from it. I would like to see the figures on how it would be cheaper to move to Australia to get it :confused: You can get it for free here if you're on the dole or could anyway.

There’s 2 part time lads with us this summer one is 22 the other is 20 and neither of them are from farms and I would rate them above Lads Iv seen from farms. The lad that used to drive the second baler the last 7 years is gone this year he’s working full time now but he wasn’t from a farm either

You think they haven't killed anyone? Just no statistics, I did the artic a few years ago, probably around €3000. It's not cheap but it's hardly end of the world stuff either really, considering you can get a job straight away from it. I would like to see the figures on how it would be cheaper to move to Australia to get it :confused: You can get it for free here if you're on the dole or could anyway.
Well it wouldn't be cheaper to get just the artic but you could do you're road train and all that out there for around 3500 Aus dollars and then you could spend a few months making a good wage out there too on a digger or truck. I can't remember the exact figures for a truck but I now for digger work 6 days a week out there is in the realm of 2000 euro a week with acomodation and a jeep provided by the employer if you're working well out in the bush. I think the truck rates aren't too far of that of the digger.

Well it wouldn't be cheaper to get just the artic but you could do you're road train and all that out there for around 3500 Aus dollars and then you could spend a few months making a good wage out there too on a digger or truck. I can't remember the exact figures for a truck but I now for digger work 6 days a week out there is in the realm of 2000 euro a week with acomodation and a jeep provided by the employer if you're working well out in the bush. I think the truck rates aren't too far of that of the digger.
A fairly simplistic way of looking at it, after giving a few years in Australia I can assure you it isn't as simple as that unfortunately.

I'd say it'd be cheap enough to tip out to India or somewhere like that to get the license...

A fairly simplistic way of looking at it, after giving a few years in Australia I can assure you it isn't as simple as that unfortunately.
Ah I know it's just not that simple but one things for certain the money is shocking good out there. There may be alot of tickets and courses to get onto sites but once you're set up with all that nonsense you're right.

Back