Thin Wheat

View attachment 90264View attachment 90265
With Gones thin wheat well recovered, I have a crop to take it's place. The entire field was drilled at 225 kg/ha on November 29th, half of the field was in peas last year, the other half was in beet which was harvested the day before the wheat was sown. In hindsight, we should have drilled the pea half in October. It's fairly tough land and it get a fair doing with crows up until emergence. The slugs also gave the crows a helping hand. The top picture is the half after beet, the bottom is after peas. It got Alister flex fo hit meadowgrass and CCC to aid tillering the day before yesterday. I don't expect it to be a disaster crop but it won't break any records. A drop of rain and a few kind days would do it the world of good.
Loads of time to sort itself out. Soil is slow to warm this spring. Drop of rain, ball of niter and a few warm days turn them inside out. Have one a bit like that too that was planted a bit late. Travelling it this morning with ccc and a multimin mix with seaweed. Herbicides and frosts taking the gloss of these crops as well. Usually the improved bushel weight from the sparser plant counts makes a job of it.

It’s looking well now ger. Why that mix of fungicide as a matter of interest?
Thanks, yeah it has improved well.
I presume you are talking the Revystar and Imtrex. Revystar is too dear, so basically making Lentyma by thinning it out with Imtrex, (straight Fluxapyroxad).

I had the seed supplier and rep for seed dressing chemical company out again today to look at the wheat.
Still no wiser as to what caused the issue, but it was sorted to everyone's satisfaction.
I will keep ye posted as to how it goes from here.

View attachment 90264View attachment 90265
With Gones thin wheat well recovered, I have a crop to take it's place. The entire field was drilled at 225 kg/ha on November 29th, half of the field was in peas last year, the other half was in beet which was harvested the day before the wheat was sown. In hindsight, we should have drilled the pea half in October. It's fairly tough land and it get a fair doing with crows up until emergence. The slugs also gave the crows a helping hand. The top picture is the half after beet, the bottom is after peas. It got Alister flex fo hit meadowgrass and CCC to aid tillering the day before yesterday. I don't expect it to be a disaster crop but it won't break any records. A drop of rain and a few kind days would do it the world of good.
IMG_9888.jpgIMG_9887.jpg
It's still waiting on those few kind days but this has certainly come on in the last few weeks. Wheat is a very resilient plant. It got its T1 of Ascra and multisite on Wednesday. We won't get away with a 2 spray programme but a lower cost fungicide strategy should get us to the finish line. It's too thin to produce big yields but it'll do ok if it gets some warmth and sunshine over the next few weeks.

Back