thunder bolts in cavity wall

aidank

As per title, can I use say a M10X75mm thunder bolt in a cavity wall.

Between thickness of block, and plaster and the metal bracket, I have about 60mm.

Given your supposed to over drill the hole to allow for dust I dont see why not

There designed to be used in solid concrete. Doubt they’d grip enough in a concrete block

Between thickness of block, and plaster and the metal bracket, I have about 60mm.

They will work but as stated above you need to tighten with a spanner and they wont carry a big load. If you ever remove them then when you go to tighten again in same hole they will fail 80% of the time

All depends what you want to hang out of it, but I wouldnt see it holding much, they don't have massive teeth and block is quite porous.

my preference for hollow block stuff is the traditional rawlbolt, but in overkill sizes. like m12 rawbolts where you only need an M8. gives a bigger diameter to hold in the thin wall of the block.

I always go all the way through and use threaded bar,I know it depends what your trying to do.

Moved into a brick bungalow when first married and the bricks were unbelievably hard,I was drilling to fit a microwave shelf and the brick dislodged and dropped out into the hallway😲 any road I drilled the brick fully through and mortared it back in place and used a threaded bar through the wall😂it was the strongest bit in the whole house.

You can't really count the thickness of the bracket as you don't get grip there, if you had spacing that got them into the join between 2 blocks you would get full depth purchase, a lot depends on what you want to carry loadwise.

If it’s a cavity block you’re thinking of Ive used them on cavity blocks for light purpose shelving. . Would not like to use them for anything heavy as the side wall of a cavity block is only one step up from plasterboard.

Yes its a cavity wall, its for a bracket to hold up a 10ft gate, which will be used once a week. Cattle will give the gate a good pushing towards the wall rather than pulling it out from the wall however.

4 bolts, 2 for bottom bracket and 2 for top bracket.

What are my other options, other than traditional rawl bolts, I dont like them in cavity blocks, they dont grip all that well I find.

Yes its a cavity wall, its for a bracket to hold up a 10ft gate, which will be used once a week. Cattle will give the gate a good pushing towards the wall rather than pulling it out from the wall however.

4 bolts, 2 for bottom bracket and 2 for top bracket.

What are my other options, other than traditional rawl bolts, I dont like them in cavity blocks, they dont grip all that well I find.

It's not whether thunder bolts or rawl bolts is the problem.
It's the strength of the block . 6 or 7 Newton. And what , 2 " thick max in a cavity block .
As Mike says bolt whole way through , and big plate as a washer.

For a gate not a hope, all the way through but even at that you want those holes to be as far apart as possible from each other if cattle will be scratching their arses off it

I’ve a 12 ft gate hanging with the on a cavity wall. It’s in a calf house and has been very solid. If I was doing it again I’d use the stuff you buy in a tube and pump it into the hole you drilled. Can’t remember the name of it now but it’s specifically for this job.

I’ve a 12 ft gate hanging with the on a cavity wall. It’s in a calf house and has been very solid. If I was doing it again I’d use the stuff you buy in a tube and pump it into the hole you drilled. Can’t remember the name of it now but it’s specifically for this job.
anchor resin

Back