tight nuts?, not a problem

tinman

Very Senior Member
the bees knees and the dogs gonads for loosening tight nuts imo.
(no sniggering down the back!!)
from maxim power tools,
this unit is designed mostly for railway applications.

i bought one of these second hand about 5 yrs ago, to be honest i havnt come across a nut or bolt it wouldn't open or tighten for that matter, and ive used sockets up to 80mm!,
it has an 1" drive.
it has serious torque.
not blowing my own trumpet or anything,
more so, just in case anyone ever came across one and wasnt sure about its ability.
id highly recommend one.

Attachments

• DSCF4525.jpg
    DSCF4525.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF4526.jpg
    DSCF4526.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 110
mmm some pillock tightened the wheel nuts on mi Disco with one of those:thumbdown:

the bees knees and the dogs gonads for loosening tight nuts imo.
(no sniggering down the back!!)
from maxim power tools,
this unit is designed mostly for railway applications.

i bought one of these second hand about 5 yrs ago, to be honest i havnt come across a nut or bolt it wouldn't open or tighten for that matter, and ive used sockets up to 80mm!,
it has an 1" drive.
it has serious torque.
not blowing my own trumpet or anything,
more so, just in case anyone ever came across one and wasnt sure about its ability.
id highly recommend one.

We use a Torque Multiplier it will get anything loose but I do like the look of your machine . Where do you get them ?

We use a Torque Multiplier it will get anything loose but I do like the look of your machine . Where do you get them ?
theres my torque multipliers
fully adjustable for different size nuts
Stainless-Steel-Seamless-Pipe-Tube-304-H-L-310S-316-L-321-H--11062.jpg

theres my torque multipliers
fully adjustable for different size nuts
Stainless-Steel-Seamless-Pipe-Tube-304-H-L-310S-316-L-321-H--11062.jpg

Yes we have some of those . ours are more banana shape . About 8 month ago this rep came in the yard with this T/M on special offer . I had just bought an old low loader to do up for my self as it had combine wells in it , I said if it will take a wheel nut of that trailer I will buy it . Thinking it would have no chance, if you could see the nut ! . He put it on and started tuning the handle round and round effortlessly I was gob smacked so bought it . I have thought about one for a wile but did not realize how good they are . The only trouble is 50 turns on the handle is 1 turn of the nut that’s why I am thinking about one of these engine driven ones

a new one isnt cheap,
the last time i priced one for a lad i had to provide him with a chair first!!,
€3500 new!.
but i picked this one up 2nd hand for €950.

the maxim people are wild civil.
when i rang him looking for an owners manual, he posted one over, along with a service kit and 3 springs for the clutch,
all for FREE!!!,
he wouldnt take any money!!.
not many about like that these days.

i have seen a similar Chinese version at an odd auction, but i dont know what they are like tbh.
wouldnt think they would be great tho.
be kinda hard getin parts for them me thinks.

Dads mate got one of them but alot older than the one in the pic, uses it for wagon wheel nuts. Got 2 settings f**king tight and sheared off!:thumbup1:
Says it came from the railways a few years ago.

that can be a problem,
but after you ring off the first stud you learn fast:lol::lol:

i have seen me having to hammer the rust off the threads to see if they are RH or LH and it still loosened it.
on a really tight nut or bolt, it ill hammer at it for a fair bit before it starts to turn, but when it dose take it off, the nut will be smokin.

the only downside is it weighs a fair bit, not exactly sure how much as i never weighed it but its up round 20-25kgs

we bought an old lorry to make in to a trailer,tried to get the wheels off using a 10 foot scaffoldong pole bent the 3/4 drive.got the local tyre fitter up with his air gun 5 mins later all the wheels off:thumbup1:

we bought an old lorry to make in to a trailer,tried to get the wheels off using a 10 foot scaffoldong pole bent the 3/4 drive.got the local tyre fitter up with his air gun 5 mins later all the wheels off:thumbup1:
had a similar problem with blade bolts on a reco40 years ago
we struggled like fcuk to get 2 or 3 of when the tyre fitter came out for a puncture -he laughed and said try this ,few minutes later all blades on the floor:thumbup:

Tinman

Like the look of that but I try to steer clear of these type of jobs
Mind you I still want one,took the cab off a Cat 980g on site today in Derry docks just to fit a hydraulic pipe, going to Creeslough tomorrow to diagnose fault in D6R

Leone75

not the one the guy came to us with it was air and an air one will be cheeper?

I would imagine the air ones are cheaper but the petrol one more convenient unless you have a mobile compressor. If you buy a decent size and good make air one they are a pretty penny to for a new one anyway

I used to use air tools and a portable compressor all the time, now only for big jobs and I use cordless impact guns for removing panels etc far more handy and warmer too. Air tools are cold this time of year.

Leone75

its a fair weight, but if you can use it vertically its only the lift, but on the wheel studs, esp the front bottom ones it can be heavy.
you do get used to it after a bit.

as said, a good quality, cp and the like will set you back an arm and a leg, the cheaper ones have a lot less Ft pounds of torque.
you need a 3/4 pipe to run an air one successfully along with 200lts of compressor,
on the up side, the maxim is extremely portable, so that balances out the weight issue somewhat.

i just looked up the manual and its 20kgs, so not too bad.

if you want to use one the air guns just to loosen the nuts put a big air tank on your compressor that will solve the problem of a not big enough air supply once you have broken it a 3/4 should shift most things

I would imagine the air ones are cheaper but the petrol one more convenient unless you have a mobile compressor. If you buy a decent size and good make air one they are a pretty penny to for a new one anyway

An air one will not have the power the petrol one has . That petrol one is the biss

Back