Tillage Conference

C

Cork

Anyone at it today?

What did you think?

Some good technical papers, good to see Teagasc focusing more on tillage research again.

Ya I was there. Assume you we're there Cork? Some pretty interesting presentations.

You would wonder about the point in using triazoles on wheat considering how much resistance has developed.

Pretty frightening how few insecticide options we have available if the resistance in aphids gets worse.

Thought the presentation by Shane Kennedy on barley yield really brought us back to focussing on basics.

Yep, was there. Good crowd there.

Agree Shane Kennedys piece was excellent as was the aphid section.

Simple summary of Shane's presentation would be good lads if ye didn't mind.

I presume all the presentations will be up on the web anyway in due course.

Was at it but had to leave at lunch time, all the morning speakers were good except that guy from Britain who i found a bit hard to understand. I did not think the room was over full. Was interesting to hear how much soil nitrogen mineralisation can vary even in a small field. Was talking to a guy from Waterford who sowed winter barley last year and mixed two row and six row together and got a yield of 4.6 ton per acre.

Was at it but had to leave at lunch time, all the morning speakers were good except that guy from Britain who i found a bit hard to understand. I did not think the room was over full. Was interesting to hear how much soil nitrogen mineralisation can vary even in a small field. Was talking to a guy from Waterford who sowed winter barley last year and mixed two row and six row together and got a yield of 4.6 ton per acre.

Agree on the UK chap. A nice guy I'd say but I thought his speech wasn't that clear.
Yes, I know of a large winter barley grower in Cork/Waterford who has been mixing for a number of years. He initially did it with Siberia (6row) and some high quality 2rows to get some of the yield of Siberia with improved kph.

Birds also kept away when it was becoming ripe as they don't like 6 rows.

I know guys who got 4.6 tonne with 2 rows alone last year.

Simple summary of Shane's presentation would be good lads if ye didn't mind.

I presume all the presentations will be up on the web anyway in due course.

Nash, basically he highlighted the importance of having adequate (1000-1100/m2) stem numbers in spring barley to achieve max yield

This means sowing 350 seeds/m2.

Very important to know your TGW in order to calculate the seed rate required for 350 seeds/m2. It can be 9stn for some varieties and 12stn for others.

Achieving yield is then all about accumulating biomass in the crop by trapping as much solar radiation as possible.

I could go on all day about this but just a brief summary.

Nash, basically he highlighted the importance of having adequate (1000-1100/m2) stem numbers in spring barley to achieve max yield

This means sowing 350 seeds/m2.

Very important to know your TGW in order to calculate the seed rate required for 350 seeds/m2. It can be 9stn for some varieties and 12stn for others.

Achieving yield is then all about accumulating biomass in the crop by trapping as much solar radiation as possible.

I could go on all day about this but just a brief summary.

Thanks for that CORK :thumbup2:

Thanks for that CORK :thumbup2:

There is so much potential in crops if we could just get the basics right.

Have enough healthy leaf which receives the correct nutrition.

At the end of the day, all we are doing is using the plant to trap the energy produced by the Nuclear reaction in the sky (the sun) and convert it into a form which can be used to sustain humans and animals.

[MENTION=4234]thefarminglad[/MENTION] was the guy who got the 4.6t of the Leibniz cassia mix in his early 30's? If so I know him well and I think he is a regular viewer but not a poster on this forum? I enjoyed the conference as cork said the first speaker was hard to hear but unfortunately the variation in fields of soil release of nitrogen is the issue, afternoon session was good, the aphid story is worrying but even worse is the shift in sensitivity of triazoles to septoria in wheat, if we get another high pressure year we may run into serious trouble and end up in Nama with all the chemicals we will have to throw at it for an ever reducing effect.

are we making any progress' cork' over da yrs in terms of profit/acre with current seeding rates bein pushed up to possible 12-16st/acre for spring barley to achieve adequate seeds/m2, i know da new variets have potential to produce more tonnes/acre but thats all at a cost of inceased sowing rates of now up to 16st/acre according to any doyle? thats double to what we remember da old spring barley seeding rate of 8-9st/acre? am i making sence?

are we making any progress' cork' over da yrs in terms of profit/acre with current seeding rates bein pushed up to possible 12-16st/acre for spring barley to achieve adequate seeds/m2, i know da new variets have potential to produce more tonnes/acre but thats all at a cost of inceased sowing rates of now up to 16st/acre according to any doyle? thats double to what we remember da old spring barley seeding rate of 8-9st/acre? am i making sence?

You're making perfect sense.

At examples costs of €150/tn for green barley and €530/tn for seed, an extra 5stone costs about €16 per acre or would require 0.1tn/acre of yield.

An extra 5stn would be an extreme and there is no way that I can see seed rates having to exceed 12st/ac this year based on thousand grain weights that I looked at today.

I have done seed rate trials with winter barley and high plant numbers really do pay for themselves up to a point. In winter and spring barley, yield will rise in a straight line up to a certain plant population. After that point, no extra yield occurs despite even higher plant numbers.

In my spring barley trials, I usually aim for 330 plants/m2. This year I saw one variety yield 4.2tn/acre at 20%mc. This was the average of 4 plots. 2nd crop barley sown in mid April and had a scatter of virus across it. 130 units N.

One would wonder how some of these wide row width drills compare when trials show that 300+ plants/m2 are required for max yield in barley. The wider you go, the closer plants need to be in the row.....

In hindsight, the seeds would be in a band as opposed to a tight row so that should help.

Last edited by a moderator:
when your wondering about something to do with drills, barley, and crop establishment 'cork' god help da rest of us!

Last edited:
One would wonder how some of these wide row width drills compare when trials show that 300+ plants/m2 are required for max yield in barley. The wider you go, the closer plants need to be in the row.....

In hindsight, the seeds would be in a band as opposed to a tight row so that should help.
our corn is sown with a kockerling which sows in a wide band and slightly wider row spacing. have found since we started sowing with it that crops are healthier, definitely less mildew even in oats.bog man also gets sown with the same machine so would be interested to hear his opinion

[MENTION=4234]thefarminglad[/MENTION] was the guy who got the 4.6t of the Leibniz cassia mix in his early 30's? If so I know him well and I think he is a regular viewer but not a poster on this forum? I enjoyed the conference as cork said the first speaker was hard to hear but unfortunately the variation in fields of soil release of nitrogen is the issue, afternoon session was good, the aphid story is worrying but even worse is the shift in sensitivity of triazoles to septoria in wheat, if we get another high pressure year we may run into serious trouble and end up in Nama with all the chemicals we will have to throw at it for an ever reducing effect.

Correct he was around that age.

Back to seeding rates for barley, my cousins kept some spring barley after last years harvest for home saved seed and were giving out about the cost of getting it tested and i laughed as i said there should be no problem with germination as corn was so clean at harvest and these guys are top growers.

Well i could not believe it when they told me it was only 85% germination and had some virus which when the plant comes up would stop it tillering and screw up yield. Needless to say that barley is now been fed to cattle. They had sprayed off the field pre harvest.

Correct he was around that age.

Back to seeding rates for barley, my cousins kept some spring barley after last years harvest for home saved seed and were giving out about the cost of getting it tested and i laughed as i said there should be no problem with germination as corn was so clean at harvest and these guys are top growers.

Well i could not believe it when they told me it was only 85% germination and had some virus which when the plant comes up would stop it tillering and screw up yield. Needless to say that barley is now been fed to cattle. They had sprayed off the field pre harvest.

Did you get the name of the virus in question?

Rounduping a seed crop is a big no no. Germination % can look ok but the plants won't...
If a seed potato crop gets a light drift of roundup, it won't show it. However the next years crop will come up twisted and deformed.

Did you get the name of the virus in question?

Rounduping a seed crop is a big no no. Germination % can look ok but the plants won't...
If a seed potato crop gets a light drift of roundup, it won't show it. However the next years crop will come up twisted and deformed.

I think he is talking about fusarium .There was rain last harvest that affected some barley so reduced its germination .

Got talking to my cousin and the virus was caused by spray damage. He already threw result of sample in the bin so cannot remember virus name. Some weird latiin name, not fusarium. He had sprayed the headlands of the field with round up so it must have drifted into the field as well.

Got talking to my cousin and the virus was caused by spray damage. He already threw result of sample in the bin so cannot remember virus name. Some weird latiin name, not fusarium. He had sprayed the headlands of the field with round up so it must have drifted into the field as well.

At least he tested the seed! It would be pity to ruin a crop for the sake of saving a few euro.

Got to the Ulster Arable Conference yesterday.

Excellent agenda and very thought provoking presentations.

The presentations are supposed to be uploaded to here but I don't see them there yet.

www.ulsterarablesociety.org

Back