Tillage rotation

legsandland

Permenant pasture,spring beans and spring barley....whats my next move. Currently waiting on soil test results but its heavy land in good heart

You could arguably be due a good crop of wheat.... Or play it safe with winter oats or winter barley

How many years would ye be happy with no rotation after grass, putting WB in the ground that the winter wheat did terrible in last year. This will be its 3rd cereal as it was permanent grass very bad wheat, good WB and now WB again, probably go oats next year but have a good bit planned for WO as is so don’t want more. Have more ground that was permanent pasture, Sb, Sb and now WB, is 3 years too much or maybe not too bad when coming out of permanent pasture ?

How many years would ye be happy with no rotation after grass, putting WB in the ground that the winter wheat did terrible in last year. This will be its 3rd cereal as it was permanent grass very bad wheat, good WB and now WB again, probably go oats next year but have a good bit planned for WO as is so don’t want more. Have more ground that was permanent pasture, Sb, Sb and now WB, is 3 years too much or maybe not too bad when coming out of permanent pasture ?
3 crops of barley as you describe should be fine after long term grass as long as P, K, pH etc are ok. Year 2 is when you’d expect the best crop as the sod will have broken down to release nutrients.

3 crops of barley as you describe should be fine after long term grass as long as P, K, pH etc are ok. Year 2 is when you’d expect the best crop as the sod will have broken down to release nutrients.
Id have found the 3rd cereal regardless of the grass a very poor slot, seems to be a bit of a graveyard slot, take all or a staleness happens, spring crops do a bit better here.

Id have found the 3rd cereal regardless of the grass a very poor slot, seems to be a bit of a graveyard slot, take all or a staleness happens, spring crops do a bit better here.
You’re obviously not apply enough underpants per acre, I’d agree spring barley would be safer than winter barley in a 3rd slot (see 2022) but considering the poor wheat might have left a bit more behind it he’ll probably be ok.
On a serious note, I try to avoid any more than two cereals in a row here but it does happen on occasion.

You’re obviously not apply enough underpants per acre, I’d agree spring barley would be safer than winter barley in a 3rd slot (see 2022) but considering the poor wheat might have left a bit more behind it he’ll probably be ok.
On a serious note, I try to avoid any more than two cereals in a row here but it does happen on occasion.
On 2 occasions I’ve had after grass I’ve had oats, winter barley and then winter barley and both times the 2nd barley was poor, I’m talking less than 4.5T which is practically organic or regen ag like…………

On 2 occasions I’ve had after grass I’ve had oats, winter barley and then winter barley and both times the 2nd barley was poor, I’m talking less than 4.5T which is practically organic or regen ag like…………
Oats is an odd one, sort of a break crop that builds takeall faster than wheat.

Where the poor wheat was got WB this harvest and then a lot of what looks like a hard night after Guinness to the acre before being ploughed. Take all is what I’m mainly worried about as a yield reducer

Back