Todays Photo

They get dried off for a few days after being dug then boxed up & covered from the light & the frost. We use old fish boxes, aeroboard & old blankets.

How do you store that many spuds? I'm afraid to dig mine because they will go soft in a week or 2 if not in a clay covered pit.

The skin won't have "set" (hardened ) , on potatoes this early . Unlikely to store for the winter in that state.

If you dig then from the middle of October on they will keep in a pile in a shed all winter. Keep them in a dark shed to keep the light of them and cover them with an old carpet to keep the frost of them

Correct and right.
Normally have our own potatoes until late May, even into June , stored as you describe. Usually get them out 15th / 20th of October . Stalks will have died off completely by then .

If you dig then from the middle of October on they will keep in a pile in a shed all winter. Keep them in a dark shed to keep the light of them and cover them with an old carpet to keep the frost of them
How do keep vermin away from them ?

Not too many combines in co. longford .I think you could count them on one hand.
This one is in action this evening.
Ground conditions quite good, about half the crop was lying.
Straw was grand and dry.
Getting through it rightly.
View attachment 82235
Is that field near bunlahy? Or where he cutting there? You might be surprised on number of combines as that man there actually has 3,but two hands might give them a fair shake.was two going if not 3 in this parish alone this evening.
And the one in carrickedmond finished today for the last time.

Is that field near bunlahy? Or where he cutting there? You might be surprised on number of combines as that man there actually has 3,but two hands might give them a fair shake.was two going if not 3 in this parish alone this evening.
And the one in carrickedmond finished today for the last time.
Just on the edge of the town, I'm sure you often cursed the speed van

The skin won't have "set" (hardened ) , on potatoes this early . Unlikely to store for the winter in that state.

Correct and right.
Normally have our own potatoes until late May, even into June , stored as you describe. Usually get them out 15th / 20th of October . Stalks will have died off completely by then .

We dug them the same time last year, they stored ok for us, a few won't survive but the majority will be fine.

We haven't enough to take us through as far into next year as you though.

Last edited:
Christ that reminds me it’s the mothers birthday Friday, last year the parents were away in England and back on the Wednesday early, the father heard about these bobcat teleporters doing serious deals so was looing to go as we were pricing a MF one at the time and they are the same machine. I met them up there anyway and myself and the father spent hours looking up and down this teleporter and talking to the sales rep, the mother meanwhile wandered off on her own. We done the deal on the teleporter and met back up with her, when we told her the deal was done she said she done a deal herself to treat herself for her birthday. The 2 of us were left red faced as we had both forgot it was her birthday, she had been looking for a new car for a while but didn’t think she would go for this, needless to say the father won’t forget her birthday again anyway

Attachments

• A967ED97-D915-4FFA-AA6F-842342AC6879.jpeg
    A967ED97-D915-4FFA-AA6F-842342AC6879.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 139
  • 6A675489-357D-40CF-A8BC-233C43EE62D9.jpeg
    6A675489-357D-40CF-A8BC-233C43EE62D9.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 138
  • 87654423-C762-4AA5-B221-D76AFE85215E.jpeg
    87654423-C762-4AA5-B221-D76AFE85215E.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 141
  • EE0A4786-6FF6-42A8-A39A-FE429B782E23.jpeg
    EE0A4786-6FF6-42A8-A39A-FE429B782E23.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 133
Christ that reminds me it’s the mothers birthday Friday, last year the parents were away in England and back on the Wednesday early, the father heard about these bobcat teleporters doing serious deals so was looing to go as we were pricing a MF one at the time and they are the same machine. I met them up there anyway and myself and the father spent hours looking up and down this teleporter and talking to the sales rep, the mother meanwhile wandered off on her own. We done the deal on the teleporter and met back up with her, when we told her the deal was done she said she done a deal herself to treat herself for her birthday. The 2 of us were left red faced as we had both forgot it was her birthday, she had been looking for a new car for a while but didn’t think she would go for this, needless to say the father won’t forget her birthday again anyway
Your mother has good taste in cars.... :Thumbp2:

Shelter belt here of them, they were wrongly sold to my Dad as a dwarf variety :no:

Each year they get a bit closer to the house as you can only trim back to green, go further & they'll stay brown, they are now about 12' wide :scared:

Awful things, there's 4 huge ones here now , someone thought they were a good idea 25 years ago.
They have an appointment with
Mr. Saw shortly

Back