Todays Photo

It will be 24 years next May , since I smoked a half Corona , after a funeral , and there was a consumption of alcohol involved . That was probably 5 years after I gave up smoking . I havent had any inclination to smoke since that .
I break out the cigars at every wedding I go to, usually of central or south American origin. You couldn't pay me to go near one when sober. Savage craic after midnight in the smoking area

It will be 24 years next May , since I smoked a half Corona , after a funeral , and there was a consumption of alcohol involved . That was probably 5 years after I gave up smoking . I havent had any inclination to smoke since that .
Henri Wintermans finest, 25 of them in a red oval tin or just 5 in a box. They were 50p each back in the 80s compared to 13p for Carrolls.

Henri Wintermans finest, 25 of them in a red oval tin or just 5 in a box. They were 50p each back in the 80s compared to 13p for Carrolls.

Were cigarettes as dear as that in the 80s? I thought they would have been less - Late 1990's it was c. £1.50 for 10 and £3 for20 IIRC

Were cigarettes as dear as that in the 80s? I thought they would have been less - Late 1990's it was c. £1.50 for 10 and £3 for20 IIRC
Think you're right actually, around the mid 80s ten Carrolls were 87p and a box of matches 5p.
I'd say the mid 90s they were around the £1.30 for 10. A 25 gram pouch of Amphora tobacco was around £2.50. No idea what they are now.

10 Majors were 21p in 1980 . A pint was 56p in 1980 .
I smoked a crooked stem pipe for maybe 5 years . Unusual for someone in their early 20s at the time . Maltan and Mick Mcquaid would have been the tobacco .

1992 a pack of 10 Carroll's was £1.20. It was a lovely small box. A grand size of a social smoker.

Carrolls . Used to be called " Farmer Fags " , thougjh Majors would have been more popular I would have thought .

Among the older generation, untapped cigarettes were still very common at that time . Wood bines , Sweet Aftons . Players .
And there was a lovely untippedfag , "Senior Service " .

I smoked Rothmans King Size for a couple of years . Only ever 10 to 15 a day.

Most of those names have disappeared for ages.

Carrolls . Used to be called " Farmer Fags " , thougjh Majors would have been more popular I would have thought .

Among the older generation, untapped cigarettes were still very common at that time . Wood bines , Sweet Aftons . Players .

And John Player Special in a black box, smelled like burning carpet.

Carrolls Old Road or Travellers Joy, sometimes Condor for the pipe. I tried it for a while as well.
Then switched to Players Number 6 or Old Holborn rollies.
When was the last time you saw someone smoking a pipe? Would the local Centra even stock pipe tobacco?
Rothmans were only for airline pilots......... I thought?

Packaging definitely mattered, Camel, Gauloises, Marlboro if you wanted to be different.

More . They were very dark brown/black in colour . Anout 5 inches long and about 10 mm thick .
Red were normal , and green were menthol .

Carrolls Old Road or Travellers Joy, sometimes Condor for the pipe. I tried it for a while as well.
When was the last time you saw someone smoking a pipe? Would the local Centra even stock pipe tobacco?

I forgot about Condor . Lovely flavour , but very strong .

Players number 6 the 1st fags I ever bought,my uncle would send me into the village shop for 20xNo6 and half a pound of midget gems,I’d be about 6 at the time.

It is hard to believe 30 years ago since I was at school and being a social smoker .We used to get the fags in singles for 10 pence from Bridie Perrman in Causeway .I think it was 20 pence for a vanilla bun ,25 pence for a twix and 10 pence for a single fag so a box of 10 was no more then a pound and the booze of smoke out the door was like the place was on fire with about 50 lads with german army parka's squashed into the shop which was just a room with everything nailed down behind the counter .I was in a boarding school previous and they even sold fags in the school shop but you had to be 15 with consent from your parents to smoke (as if) this was just back in 1988 .I think at least 50% of kids smoked back then

More . They were very dark brown/black in colour . Anout 5 inches long and about 10 mm thick .
Red were normal , and green were menthol .

I forgot about Condor . Lovely flavour , but very strong .
Clan tobacco in its tartan pack was the nicest smelling of all, you'd smell it from old lads smoking it across the ring in the local mart back then.

Clan tobacco in its tartan pack was the nicest smelling of all, you'd smell it from old lads smoking it across the ring in the local mart back then.

I thought Yachtsman plug tobacco was the nicest aroma of a pipe tobacco. Sold in half quarters . Odd shops had it in a big long bar , and cut off a square for customers .

I'd say the sale of Benson and hedges shot through the roof when they sponsored the Jordan F1 team I remember lots in school changed when the sponsorship started

Back