Todays Photo

Is that that big ugly lump of a windfarm near Roscrea in the background??

I dont even notice them tbh. Didn't bother me one way or another when they went up.

Im not looking across at them , like @Mf240 is , but would pass in sight of them once or twice a week . I like looking at them . Sort of majestic . Supposed to be a solar farm going under some of them , but talk of it has died off for a while ?

Thats an awful thing to be calling them. Sure aren't they as green as the grass and making a few lads very rich too
Have a friend involved in that line of work and by his talk there will be a lot more of them going up in the next few years.

Have a friend involved in that line of work and by his talk there will be a lot more of them going up in the next few years.

Theres one up the valley from me but behind a hill so thankfully not too close or imposing - I've been helping with the lambing on my Uncles place nearer to it and for the past few days the blades on the turbines have hardly moved. If thats the future of energy production then we might as well go back to living in caves:undecided:

Offshore wind is where it's really at. For some reason its been slow to take off here but its starting to ramp up.

Its always windy at sea.
Why are we building power generating infrastructure to power data centers that hold information that is of no value to the country. The world is gone obsessed with holding information. Data centres are built in Ireland because of our laws that control the use of the information, and we are unlikely to be invaded by Russia.

I have heard a rumour in the last week that there are representatives from a German company currently visiting the recently closed Lanesboro and Shannonbridge Power Stations with a view to buying them complete, disassembling them and moving them piece by piece to Germany where they will be recommissioned to burn biomass to generate electricity for the German national Grid. Both plants were designed so that they could use either peat or biomass as the plan was to burn biomass in them from 2020 to 2040. I think it's a national shame that our government could not get themselves together to grow biomass in these areas. They didn't just let down the people working in either power station, but they also let down the farmers in the surrounding areas who could have had a source of income by growing biomass for this specific market.

I have heard a rumour in the last week that there are representatives from a German company currently visiting the recently closed Lanesboro and Shannonbridge Power Stations with a view to buying them complete, disassembling them and moving them piece by piece to Germany where they will be recommissioned to burn biomass to generate electricity for the German national Grid. Both plants were designed so that they could use either peat or biomass as the plan was to burn biomass in them from 2020 to 2040. I think it's a national shame that our government could not get themselves together to grow biomass in these areas. They didn't just let down the people working in either power station, but they also let down the farmers in the surrounding areas who could have had a source of income by growing biomass for this specific market.
There was a plan to build a biomass fueled power station on the site of the Asahi synthetic fibre plant near Killala in North Mayo. AFAIK there was a good bit of work done on it but the company behind it went bust.

There was a plan to build a biomass fueled power station on the site of the Asahi synthetic fibre plant near Killala in North Mayo. AFAIK there was a good bit of work done on it but the company behind it went bust.
The Co-fired peat and pellet plant in Edenderry is using wood pellets that are shipped from Georgia USA and made from willow. It's maddening to think that if they just had a bit of joined up thinking, they could have Irish farmers grow these willow which would help to make farming viable as well as providing a secure source of electricity.

The Co-fired peat and pellet plant in Edenderry is using wood pellets that are shipped from Georgia USA and made from willow. It's maddening to think that if they just had a bit of joined up thinking, they could have Irish farmers grow these willow which would help to make farming viable as well as providing a secure source of electricity.
I live less then 1/4 mile from that factory. They originally ran out of finance on that job, the company doing it was then liquidated. But their is contractors regularly looking in on it, so hopefully it’ll go ahead. They where looking for farmers in the area to grow it, and I know of lots of farmers in this area willing to grow it but then they stalled it https://westernpeople.ie/2020/10/06/activity-on-site-at-mayo-renewable-power-plant-in-killala/

Why are we building power generating infrastructure to power data centers that hold information that is of no value to the country. The world is gone obsessed with holding information. Data centres are built in Ireland because of our laws that control the use of the information, and we are unlikely to be invaded by Russia.

Why are we massively over-producing milk and beef that are of no value to the country?

Because there's money in it.

I do think that we have an ass backwards approach to planning this stuff, but it's ireland, we don't really do planning.

99% of the datacentres are clustered around Dublin which as the city continues to grow is going to strain the grid more and more.

I work in the industry and for the life of me can't understand why they're all up there.

Why are we massively over-producing milk and beef that are of no value to the country?

I do think that we have an ass backwards approach to planning this stuff, but it's ireland, we don't really do planning.

99% of the datacentres are clustered around Dublin which as the city continues to grow is going to strain the grid more and more.

I work in the industry and for the life of me can't understand why they're all up there.
You’d certainly think from a security point of view they’d be better spread across the country so that one site could be backed up somewhere else, if they are all in Dublin area over half could be knocked out in one go with bad power outages

They are over spaced in back up power, the highest concentration of cat 3500 series generators in europe are in Dublin

You’d certainly think from a security point of view they’d be better spread across the country so that one site could be backed up somewhere else, if they are all in Dublin area over half could be knocked out in one go with bad power outages
an awful lot of them are backed up or backups for other countries, never mind other locations within this country.

and as vry says, they're well covered with generators and they'd have 24/7 diesel supply contracts if required.

They're sticking them in industrial zoned land that's meant for employment generation. As the lads have said they have the electrical setup and infrastructure that's meant for high technology manufacturing ect. The cluster effect probably helps when servicing too.

One of these days there's going to be a crackdown on allowing these through planning.

Theres one up the valley from me but behind a hill so thankfully not too close or imposing - I've been helping with the lambing on my Uncles place nearer to it and for the past few days the blades on the turbines have hardly moved. If thats the future of energy production then we might as well go back to living in caves:undecided:
Id say there's a lot of turbines in the Midlands in bad wind sites.Theres a good few wind farms around here, we would be just 2/3 miles from the Atlantic. the sites around here would be some of the best for onshore wind in Europe I'd imagine

I live less then 1/4 mile from that factory. They originally ran out of finance on that job, the company doing it was then liquidated. But their is contractors regularly looking in on it, so hopefully it’ll go ahead. They where looking for farmers in the area to grow it, and I know of lots of farmers in this area willing to grow it but then they stalled it https://westernpeople.ie/2020/10/06/activity-on-site-at-mayo-renewable-power-plant-in-killala/

Are the few wind turbines on that site or are they seperate?

Well they did try to put one over in Galway and that didn't work out so well in fairness

Well they did try to put one over in Galway and that didn't work out so well in fairness
I’m led to believe the man responsible for putting a halt to that was from over the other end of the country. Up Meath direction if memory serves me correct. That information could be pure dung too though

Back