Todays Photo

Only one issue with hiring in a contractor with a dungspreader is you’re also hiring in whatever seedbank of weeds that may have been in the last place he was spreading. Same as a combine or baler not being blown down between farms, it can cause the spread of canary grass and wild oats.
Certainly something to be considered but the risk of seed transfer from farm to farm from a properly emptied dung spreader is much much lower than from a baler or combine even if they're well blown down.

Certainly something to be considered but the risk of seed transfer from farm to farm from a properly emptied dung spreader is much much lower than from a baler or combine even if they're well blown down.
I'd wash out the spreader here after use eveb though it doesn't leave the farm, a properly emptied spreader from a contractors point of view is leaving it running empty for ten seconds after the last load. A combine would be the worst polluter possibly.

I'd wash out the spreader here after use eveb though it doesn't leave the farm, a properly emptied spreader from a contractors point of view is leaving it running empty for ten seconds after the last load. A combine would be the worst polluter possibly.
Would depend on the contractor, here it would be run empty and scraped off with a shovel. Very little left after that washing would obviously be better but completely impractical really

At my fastest, 6 minutes down the lane 6 to unload and about 6 back up the lane. Just timed it. if I wanted to be jumping about in the cab could definitely do 3 load no problem but the pace I'm going, not overly rushing it, halfway down the lane with the 3rd load when the hour mark is reached

At my fastest, 6 minutes down the lane 6 to unload and about 6 back up the lane. Just timed it. if I wanted to be jumping about in the cab could definitely do 3 load no problem but the pace I'm going, not overly rushing it, halfway down the lane with the 3rd load when the hour mark is reached
Steady will do it, is it a 6 cubic yard spreader? The secret with a barrel spreader is have a full set of chains and flails, also the end flails need to be complete and dont fully fill the ends to allow it to start. Also wrapping the chains using the PTO brake helps for an easy start.

I think they are useful and pretty trouble free yoke tbh, fine for smaller amounts.
A local contractor went from them to Harry Wests, and now to Rear Discharge. He says now that he should have bought the RD years ago.

Steady will do it, is it a 6 cubic yard spreader? The secret with a barrel spreader is have a full set of chains and flails, also the end flails need to be complete and dont fully fill the ends to allow it to start. Also wrapping the chains using the PTO brake helps for an easy start.
All I know she'll hold about 2.5-3t. chains tend to wrap themselves. We did put new bolts on the chains this year, starting to rub against the metal. Dad had it since the 80s and was bought 2nd hand. Surprisingly still here. Again would love a rd spreader. Even them k two 6t spreaders be the job

I think they are useful and pretty trouble free yoke tbh, fine for smaller amounts.
A local contractor went from them to Harry Wests, and now to Rear Discharge. He says now that he should have bought the RD years ago.
A good barrel spreader is a handy tool, we had a 2060 and went to a 2090, far, far better machine to spread, not to mention the capacity. Rear discharges are great to get through huge volumes.

I remember getting rid of our old rear discharge spreader about 50 years ago . I think it was a krone, anyway it was red.
It had a hydraulically operated slurry door and was nothing but trouble. It was traded in against a brand new Howard rotaspreader which did the job the finest for the next 25 years.

Rear discharge is a fine tool until a floor chain breaks, a rare enough event on the more reputable brands but there was a almost new Pronar full of dung parked against a hedge for 2 years near here in a dispute over a chain breaking, no spreader wants plastic, net wrap or concrete and rocks, what was the issue with Keenans Orbital with the big pusher plate and front rotor ?

Rear discharge is a fine tool until a floor chain breaks, a rare enough event on the more reputable brands but there was a almost new Pronar full of dung parked against a hedge for 2 years near here in a dispute over a chain breaking, no spreader wants plastic, net wrap or concrete and rocks, what was the issue with Keenans Orbital with the big pusher plate and front rotor ?
A neighbour had one of the first orbitals and it was a savage step up from the 2 side slingers. They had it for a good few years and served them well but in less particular farms cement blocks were a problem, life ending in cases.

They lay dung on too thick and lumpy. Fine for a reseed pre cultivation. No leak and cheap to run once you don't run a rock or block through it. They don't like tyres either. A rear discharge is my preferred choice

Couple of cases of them throwing stones and they ending up on the tractor itself.

Always say I'd love our own muck spreader from a flexibility perspecfive but that quickly disappears when the contractor comes in with his and a big loader and all disappears in a few hours. Just a matter of getting timings right!

They lay dung on too thick and lumpy. Fine for a reseed pre cultivation. No leak and cheap to run once you don't run a rock or block through it. They don't like tyres either. A rear discharge is my preferred choice
Using a keenan at the moment they will shred it well if you slow down the door speed if you horse it into the flywheel it will put it out in lumps

Back