Topper or disc mower?

bk1991

So currently I have a 8ft major topper that i fully reconed last year sandblasted new steel top fully resprayed and new decals, new blades and rotors, nearly new gearboxes with are perfect, new shafts with covers and wide angle shaft.
So I continue with this or would it be worth my while to try sell and buy a plain disc mower for topping? And what kinda money would I be looking at?

So currently I have a 8ft major topper that i fully reconed last year sandblasted new steel top fully resprayed and new decals, new blades and rotors, nearly new gearboxes with are perfect, new shafts with covers and wide angle shaft.
So I continue with this or would it be worth my while to try sell and buy a plain disc mower for topping? And what kinda money would I be looking at?

To be brutally honest, you won't get the money back out of it I reckon!!

Most decent plain 8ft mowers are 3.5k plus and that's secondhand.

Topper is standing me 1000€ from buying it and parts paint etc o and new tyres.

its a gamble buying a sh mower isnt it?

Topper is standing me 1000€ from buying it and parts paint etc o and new tyres.

its a gamble buying a sh mower isnt it?
It is a gamble a lot of people would tell you not to take.

Have you rough ground, stones or anything that could damage a disk mower?

It is a gamble a lot of people would tell you not to take.

Have you rough ground, stones or anything that could damage a disk mower?
Iv a 8ft kidd topper to do 18 acs rough ground no issue with stones anywhere

If you go the mower route there is no point buying the cheap itialan ones. They will fall apart on you. Been there wore the t shirt. Topping with mowers is more heavy on them than actual mowing silage. For the work you put into your own she's pretty much a new topper again. I'd drive her on again

Personal choice really i suppose. We had 8ft major topper here and didn't like it much. Depends on what what you want it for really and the ground if its rough ground would say a mulcher or else i would be going for the disc mower.

Iv a 8ft kidd topper to do 18 acs rough ground no issue with stones anywhere
I wouldn't top ground for grazing with anything other than a disk mower if the ground is good enough, it depends on your own situation if you want improved sward quality etc.

In all honesty I try to not top at all and graze out paddocks cleanly, some get a belt of a mower when going for silage. I don't have a topper at all anymore

We had a marangon disc for 12 years, topping some awful heavy rushes, a few sets of belts and a bearing on the input shaft is the only thing it ever cost. Ideal for that job. Mulcher looks a great job for rushes but limited by output

personally i'd stick with the topper. mower has its benefits and downfalls and so does the topper but at the end of the day, all you are doing is just skimming the tops of the grass off

Back