Toyota Rav4 Oil Consumption

Toyota are not as easy to deal with as they used to be. Hilux here failed the doe last week and the tester said that it was seals gone in the drums that had let water into them. Only 32k km on it. He said that it is a common fault with them and that with other jeeps that he tested it was covered under warranty. I had it back in Toyota earlier this week. I didn't say that the tester said it should be covered by warranty. When I went back to collect it, they had a bill for €280. Told me it was worn shoes and that they had replaced them. When I t asked to see them, they told me that they were gone into the metal skip. I told them what the tester had said and asked if they had put new seal into it - they confirmed that they had but it wasn't on the bill because the seals alone were covered under warranty. They ended up giving it to me on "goodwill" after a good bit of debate. The jeep is still under warranty and they can claim the costs back from Toyota. If I paid them, they'd be getting it on the double.

It passed the doe yesterday and the tester confirmed that the seals on both sides have been replaced.
Us lads running auld bangers don't know how lucky we are, not having to deal with such a shower

Only time I was in the main dealer was for a new ignition key and oil filters.
I bet you were sore enough after that, not to go back again.

I bought 6 genuine filters and something else small recently at toyota dealer - €200
Needed a few mickey mouse parts (windscreen washer pump, airbag squib, UJ at bottom of the steering) - Main dealer €700, spurious €170

I bet you were sore enough after that, not to go back again.

I bought 6 genuine filters and something else small recently at toyota dealer - €200
Needed a few mickey mouse parts (windscreen washer pump, airbag squib, UJ at bottom of the steering) - Main dealer €700, spurious €170
New key was €70 and another €40 to program it to the immobiliser. My original key was just badly worn so I couldn’t get one made. Oil filters weren’t too bad, think around €15 each. They weigh a bit heavier than spurious filters so should have a decent anti drain valve.
I did price a new front brake caliper at €1k from them, a spurious one was just over €150.

New key was €70 and another €40 to program it to the immobiliser. My original key was just badly worn so I couldn’t get one made. Oil filters weren’t too bad, think around €15 each. They weigh a bit heavier than spurious filters so should have a decent anti drain valve.
I did price a new front brake caliper at €1k from them, a spurious one was just over €150.
I always go with genuine filters so keep a tube of vaseline in the jeep for such visits

Don’t blame her one bit, that’s a pain alright. Interesting to hear what the garage suggest to solve it
@Rathbran , she was back to Toyota in enniskillen today.
didn't get chatting her right as she was going to football as I was coming in.
basically on the report there is a mention of egr cooler.
she said that they hooked it up to the computer and checked most of the sensors on the engine.
they have taking some reading and classed it as zero today to monitor the amount of oil burned / 100 mile etc.this is to be reacessed again using zero as a base reading.
I put a litre or very close to it in for 1000 odd mile since last service on Jan 19.
Toyota man as much as said in not as many words to find a new home for the car.
il find out more when she's back in later

@Rathbran , she was back to Toyota in enniskillen today.
didn't get chatting her right as she was going to football as I was coming in.
basically on the report there is a mention of egr cooler.
she said that they hooked it up to the computer and checked most of the sensors on the engine.
they have taking some reading and classed it as zero today to monitor the amount of oil burned / 100 mile etc.this is to be reacessed again using zero as a base reading.
I put a litre or very close to it in for 1000 odd mile since last service on Jan 19.
Toyota man as much as said in not as many words to find a new home for the car.
il find out more when she's back in later
Great attitude from Toyota, move the problem on to someone else who in the current climate will have payed over the odds and then have to deal with a fecked engine, I've heard several bad stories about Toyota diesel engines, one to avoid.

@Bencroy disappointing response from Toyota guy but might become a reality, the bellows/pipework on those egr coolers split/crack and can leak coolant. I think it’s gonna be a case of having to live with the oil consumption and keep topping it up 😔

Great attitude from Toyota, move the problem on to someone else who in the current climate will have payed over the odds and then have to deal with a fecked engine, I've heard several bad stories about Toyota diesel engines, one to avoid.
BMW diesel engines unfortunately in them from 2014 on, and it’s the troublesome one with the infamous timing chain issues etc

@Bencroy disappointing response from Toyota guy but might become a reality, the bellows/pipework on those egr coolers split/crack and can leak coolant. I think it’s gonna be a case of having to live with the oil consumption and keep topping it up 😔
looking like that all right.there is some sort of new warrenty after starting on it .
younger than 10 yrs old but with less than 100k miles.whichever comes 1st.7km left of warrenty.
I take it from your above posts theres a chain on this engine aswell.
my pottinger friend has a company vw tiguan 2 litre 140 or 150 hp ( cant remember which ) spring 2020 and it's a sow on engine oil aswell.are they similar engines.would a rebuilt cure the ravs problem if it comes to that

Yes timing Chain on your engine, most of them issues were resolved by 2014. The problem was mainly with the tensioners which failed and allowed the chain to stretch and slap and eventually jump the teeth. Regular scheduled oil changes helped with good quality oil. I’m sceptical of BMW engines having lost a petrol engine to timing chain guide failure about 5 years ago. Haven’t bought one since 🙄

High oil consumption seems to be a thing with BMW engines in later years both petrol and diesel, one would think its engineered into the product now. Googling Tiguan oil consumption it seems to be the same craic. I’m seeing 3.5litres in 10000 miles on uk forums for Tiguan and VW say that’s in limits, sounds familiar

Engines approaching 100k miles supposedly begin to burn oil but my 1.4d4d doesn’t burn a drop approaching 200k and my 2006 Mercedes’ 3.0 diesel would burn a litre over 15k and that engine works hard for her living.

The problem with the rebuild is will it solve the issue for once and for all after spending the money or will you end up back in the same situation in 2/3 years and I would think the later as I don’t believe your engine is worn out by the sounds of it. If it’s “designed” into it the rebuild won’t correct that…..

That’s a lot alright, is it a AD engine which is a Toyota engine or more likely a WW engine which is bmw N47. This engine appears somewhat troublesome and occasionally has a consumption rate close to 1L/1000km. Check the EGR, PCR valve and crankcase ventilation system. Make sure correct oil grade used and most likely should be a C3 low ash oil, after that if the oil ain’t going out the exhaust it’s being consumed by the engine, via piston rings, oil pump etc. That’s an engine tear down unfortunately if you cant live with oil burn.
@Rathbran , car is back in the dealership. they are looking to get an engine for it but may have to settle for block and pistons under warrenty which is nearly up.less than 4kmiles left till warrenty expires at 99999k miles.they hoping to get the go ahead from Toyota later today

After a long running saga with her rav 4 and high oil consumption good news finally came on Tuesday morning last when a new engine arrived to western cars in Enniskillen and car is ready for collection again ,
Toyota has put in a brand new engine into the car and hopefully there is lots on driving left in the car,2016 with 96k miles on it ,thankfully the soft warranty package ( not sure if it was available down here )that came out ,earlier in the spring allowed for a new engine,.
we have to compliment western cars on their service and particularly Donal for all his help in getting a good outcome,I would doubt if the outcome would have been as positive in the Republic.
@Rathbran my machinery mate called into the yard this evening ,( features on a recent farmer Phil video ) has a vw tiguan, 2 litre 150bhp 201 reg with 149k kms on it this evening and it also is very fond of oil.
would they be similar engines..

Great result @Bencroy, fair play to the dealership 👌👍

Tiguans like their oil too, vw say 0.5 litre per 1000km ok. They’re supposed to I believe be fed 0W20 but a lot of people tend to put in the standard 5w30 which doesn’t help the consumption. Their both very similar 4 cylinder 16v turbo diesels with vw being slightly smaller displacement, very similar economy. 150bhp vs 143bhp and same 320nm torque.

from a reliability point of view, think the vw Engine better

Last edited:
Just wondering has anyone else here heard or had any bother with a rav 4 ( 92k miles ) burning excessive oil .it's serviced every 10k back in the dealers but by 7k it needs to be well topped up.
It's not Smokey or that and it's running very well otherwise.had heard the newer ones were burning oil
Neighbor had a similar issue crop up recently on a 2017 Avensis. It would always use a small drop between services but never go below the mark. He got a new car and his Mrs started driving the avensis and it suddenly started using a lot of oil and going below the mark at 5k km. A lot of testing and investigation couldn't find anything amiss. Local mechanic believed that it was from the engine being revved too hard. When he looked at how it was being driven, he realised that his wife had come from a 5 speed 1.2 petrol car. She was driving the Avensis and rarely taking it out of 4th, never mind finding 6th.
Back to driving school for her and the car has stopped using excessive oil again.

Neighbor had a similar issue crop up recently on a 2017 Avensis. It would always use a small drop between services but never go below the mark. He got a new car and his Mrs started driving the avensis and it suddenly started using a lot of oil and going below the mark at 5k km. A lot of testing and investigation couldn't find anything amiss. Local mechanic believed that it was from the engine being revved too hard. When he looked at how it was being driven, he realised that his wife had come from a 5 speed 1.2 petrol car. She was driving the Avensis and rarely taking it out of 4th, never mind finding 6th.
Back to driving school for her and the car has stopped using excessive oil again.
bad driving wouldn't help alright, as
@Rathbran says its a BMW engine in it,thankfully the car wasn't bought in the South nor serviced here either, only for Toyota UK brought out " soft warranty " I think she called it ,it was for cars over 5yr old but under 100k miles that covered her just by skin of the teeth,not many would qualify to be fair for any extra I reckon.the fact that they covered it and no mention of driving practices ,would hint that it's more of a problem for them,,her car would be using litres even 2 weeks after the service.
New engine ,I'd imagine would be silly money

bad driving wouldn't help alright, as
@Rathbran says its a BMW engine in it,thankfully the car wasn't bought in the South nor serviced here either, only for Toyota UK brought out " soft warranty " I think she called it ,it was for cars over 5yr old but under 100k miles that covered her just by skin of the teeth,not many would qualify to be fair for any extra I reckon.the fact that they covered it and no mention of driving practices ,would hint that it's more of a problem for them,,her car would be using litres even 2 weeks after the service.
New engine ,I'd imagine would be silly money
€7k ballpark for a new engine for the avensis.

Have the fixed the problem I wonder?

Back