Tractor batteries

Thanks for that, I picked up one today, a good bit smaller than the 655 but is an improvement. Didn't fully sort the problem may add a direct earth from the battery to the starter and check the other wiring.
I suppose a high speed geared starter would be the next consideration if no wiring problem can be found?

As good a place as any for this question. Looking for recommendations for a battery charger. Need to charge up batteries for electric fencers . There was a link here a while back for one I think that’s on amazon that’s supposedly top notch . @JohnBoy think you linked to it .

As good a place as any for this question. Looking for recommendations for a battery charger. Need to charge up batteries for electric fencers . There was a link here a while back for one I think that’s on amazon that’s supposedly top notch . @JohnBoy think you linked to it .

This is what I bought https://www.24mx.ie/ctek-mxs-10-battery-charger/56-708 I paid a lot less than that though, it was only 119 delivered on black friday.

I tried it on a few batteries and it seems to have done a good job. small example but our ride on is a terribly abused machine, it lives outdoors all year round and has no cover on the battery which must be 5 years old.

A month ago herself took a notion to cut the lawns but not a kick out of it, it was completely flat so I took it off and charged it, let it run through the full cycle (it has about 7 stages if you're patient) but by then something had come up and the mower wasnt started.

Put the battery in yesterday and it fired better than it would have at any point last year, and it hasnt been run in 3 months probably.

A small test, but I was impressed all the same.

i use a normal charger and link 4 batteries together to charge in 1 go and swop them all every morning

There is a wurth battery lug spray it looks like a blue spray paint when you apply it. Don't know how good it is though. I use Vaseline on the terminals and it works perfect anyway.

This is what I bought https://www.24mx.ie/ctek-mxs-10-battery-charger/56-708 I paid a lot less than that though, it was only 119 delivered on black friday.

I tried it on a few batteries and it seems to have done a good job. small example but our ride on is a terribly abused machine, it lives outdoors all year round and has no cover on the battery which must be 5 years old.

A month ago herself took a notion to cut the lawns but not a kick out of it, it was completely flat so I took it off and charged it, let it run through the full cycle (it has about 7 stages if you're patient) but by then something had come up and the mower wasnt started.

Put the battery in yesterday and it fired better than it would have at any point last year, and it hasnt been run in 3 months probably.

A small test, but I was impressed all the same.
Have you lads used these ctek chargers on 600amp and upwards batteries, reading the spec they are only suited to batteries up to 300 amp which is car/ van territory. the battery I would like to keep trickle charged is in the SPFH, 1100amp.

They're talking about the Ah rating of the battery not the CCA that you're thinking of. A top end 629 battery would be 1100 CCA and 180 Ah. Should still be within the CTEK's capability.
Just seen this one too....Higher capacity again........https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/e...ZdG_t1pzygDyAXnvmKJ4wlAbRdQ0UH0IaAl6OEALw_wcB
(and an even bigger one down their page a bit too)
I don't have a CTEK.A couple of basic bench Maypole chargers do any charging I want but am wondering if a couple of tractor batteries that have dying cells could be revamped with the CTEK's claimed reconditioning capabilities?

Yeah, what agrimax said. they rate on the storage capacity, not the output capacity of the battery.

the one I got is rated for 20-200Ah but can do maintenance/trickle charging up to 300ah.

200Ah is a pretty big battery so I figured I'd be safe enough, but they do much bigger models too if required.

The other thing they do that might be handy in your application is that the crocodile clips have only a short lead going into a proprietry plug. they sell looms that also have the same plug so for something like the harvester you could permanently wire a little charging port somewhere accessible

ctek-comfort-indicator-panel-56531-002.jpg

Have you lads used these ctek chargers on 600amp and upwards batteries, reading the spec they are only suited to batteries up to 300 amp which is car/ van territory. the battery I would like to keep trickle charged is in the SPFH, 1100amp.
Never gave it a thought use it regularly on the Class here I think its the same battery @Arthur

Yeah, what agrimax said. they rate on the storage capacity, not the output capacity of the battery.

the one I got is rated for 20-200Ah but can do maintenance/trickle charging up to 300ah.

200Ah is a pretty big battery so I figured I'd be safe enough, but they do much bigger models too if required.

The other thing they do that might be handy in your application is that the crocodile clips have only a short lead going into a proprietry plug. they sell looms that also have the same plug so for something like the harvester you could permanently wire a little charging port somewhere accessible

ctek-comfort-indicator-panel-56531-002.jpg
Bit the bullet , this arrived today.15519901806301413232156.jpg

A friend grabbed the wrong to run his fence and drained it completely, I no longer have a heavy duty old style charger only smart chargers. I couldn't get it to take charge it was driving me mad as it is a dear battery, after a lot of messing I managed to get it to take charge. I ended up having to charge it in series with another half charge battery to trick the smart charger into starting the totally flat battery.
20200314_193101.jpg 20200314_193112.jpg 20200314_193122.jpg

Hopefully the recon will save it from further damage usually when they drain completely they can be badly compromised

I've ran into the problem of getting a smart charger to charge a totally drained battery and the only way I can get them to start charging is to put it in start mode for a few seconds to ram a few amps of power into the battery and then the charger is quiet happy to charge away.

I've ran into the problem of getting a smart charger to charge a totally drained battery and the only way I can get them to start charging is to put it in start mode for a few seconds to ram a few amps of power into the battery and then the charger is quiet happy to charge away.
Yeah it is what I do and it works for all the batteries up to this one, but no matter what I did this one just wasn't willing to start. I started batteries that were left around for years the way you describe.

I used an Optima battery in the Bray loaders because it had extra cranking power. I see Optima have a Yellow range of Batteries for vehicles with lots of electronic accessories. I was thinking of putting one in the Class as we sometimes have problems with low voltage when using the lights GPS and Sprayer or Doyle seeder . Alternator has been checked.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/yellowtop-deep-cycle-battery

optima batteries were always considered the best by the 4x4 off-roader boys,can you not add another battery under the step etc..

optima batteries were always considered the best by the 4x4 off-roader boys,can you not add another battery under the step etc..
Newer Fendt have two alternators to try and get around the problem and the Battery is the same as what was in a Ford 5000 with a Plough lamp . What got me thinking about it was heard of one being fitted to a self propelled sprayer to give extra for the electronics.

Newer Fendt have two alternators to try and get around the problem and the Battery is the same as what was in a Ford 5000 with a Plough lamp . What got me thinking about it was heard of one being fitted to a self propelled sprayer to give extra for the electronics.
Quad bikes are the same when using electric powered sprayers etc.

Adding an extra battery will do the same as fitting an optima,adding an extra alternator is just a gimmick,led lights and such use less power so would be another option.

Back