Tractor batteries

the right battery Is a 622, but a 629 will fit and is much stronger ..... which the old fords like . About 190 euro
I've been caught out by this line of the 629 being the same physical size but more powerful, there isn't room on the battery clamps for the extra height of a 629 and the positive terminal ends up very close to the bonnet, dangerously so in my opinion.
However some people don't see the need for the clamps and the possibility of an earth from the bonnet wouldn't worry them.
The 629 IS higher, don't be mislead, I recently bought a 622 for almost €40 less than the quoted price for a 629.

I've been caught out by this line of the 629 being the same physical size but more powerful, there isn't room on the battery clamps for the extra height of a 629 and the positive terminal ends up very close to the bonnet, dangerously so in my opinion.
However some people don't see the need for the clamps and the possibility of an earth from the bonnet wouldn't worry them.
The 629 IS higher, don't be mislead, I recently bought a 622 for almost €40 less than the quoted price for a 629.

have that on the fords at home, 2 pieces of rubber Matt over the terminals to be sure. Good bit cheaper as a lot less ooomph :)

Think I'll go for a 622, looking like it'll be a Varta, anyone I asked only had the black version but tractor won't be doing much so that should be fine.

Think I'll go for a 622, looking like it'll be a Varta, anyone I asked only had the black version but tractor won't be doing much so that should be fine.
You wouldn't go wrong with Varta,
They do a heavy duty 622, it may be of interest.

Are Yuasa still on the go?. The 362 has a pair of them in it and the place I bought them has long since gone to the wall. I put them into it back in '09.

yes , a local place sells them anyway
They were a bloody good battery and not overly dear. I'd one in the sp as well that lasted for 5 or 6 years before giving up the ghost. In fairness it was used in a couple of other things as well which didn't do anything to prolong it's life span. I'd have no problem in using them again if I came on them around here.

I have a small draw of power on the 7720S and the previous owner bypassed the deadman, which seems not to be working, can I charge the batteries in situ if I totally disconnect the earth?
20210531_120957.jpg

I have a small draw of power on the 7720S and the previous owner bypassed the deadman, which seems not to be working, can I charge the batteries in situ if I totally disconnect the earth?
View attachment 92507
I should add to ensure that the space is well ventilated. If I’m charging a battery in situ I’ll always have the bonnet up or the cover off etc. Any accumulation of gases that could occur will be dispersed then.

Anyone got experience using the deep-cycle gel batteries in tractors? Always used an Odyssey battery in my motorbike as it was living outdoors in the cold and never had an issue with starting.

Had to take one out of a tractor once for a lad as it wasn't able to take the large surge of start up amps and therefore eventually went low enough that it wouldn't start the tractor. Replaced it with a standard battery and all was well.

Back trying to figure out the electrical issues, my multimeter is not working so have a good automotive electrician going to have a look at it.
20210609_150313.jpg20210609_150235.jpg

Anyone got experience using the deep-cycle gel batteries in tractors? Always used an Odyssey battery in my motorbike as it was living outdoors in the cold and never had an issue with starting.
Not gel but heard of Optima batteries being used,expensive though.

Back