Tractor buying advice

Supertwo

I've been thinking of moving on my IH 1255xl on for something a bit more modern and I've my eye on an 8340 in a dealers. I'm not a farmer so I would be selling privately, I've bought and sold a few machines over the years but they've been small value items and all have been cash deals. Obviously cash is a no go this time around due to the value of the tractor so what would be the best form of payment to accept? Do I need to worry about paying tax?
The alternative is to trade my tractor in against the one I'm buying, I know the trade in value will be less than if I sell it myself but I guess it would save a lot of hassle by not having to put up with tyre kickers.

What are people's thoughts on above?
Thanks.
IMG_20210628_192230.jpg

There are lots of cash deals done .
Personal choice whether it's wise.
If u trade it in,the question is where did u get it from

She's a lovely tractor with bags of power but it's dog slow on the road and has the turning circle of a cruise ship. I was thinking that an 8340 would be similar power wise but a lot more user friendly with some creature comforts.

I’m not the greatest fan of 40 fords,ok to drive but shite to own,I rated the ts115 far more,they just about got it right then they packed up making them.
Others on the list would be 6000 series deere or a Tm.
It’s easy spending someone else’s money….

Cash is king in my eyes. Have done a few higher value deals in the past dont really see an issue with it. If not going cash a bank transfer os probably the best option.

What will you be using it for? That might help narrow down the search.
Only about 200 hours a year it's a hobby really, jobs include powering a trailed forage harvester, pulling a 4 furrow reversable and some other general work. Something around 120hp that it's able to handle modern machinery. I've been looking at 3000 series Masseys but most I've seen advertised are in rough condition.

Try and get a clean 8360 might be a better investment than an 8340 more reliable gear box and heavier backend.
hell i'd even look at an 8260. would have a lighter front and rear axle compared to the 8360 but would still be a heavier tractor than the 8340. would also look out for the the terracotta red variants, m115 and m135 but as mike said about the 8340 being bought for hard work, same would be said about the 60 series

What about a Case MX, I'd stick it up somewhere as a swap deal, you might have to come up with some bit of cash, I have an 8340 good tractor, manoeuvrable does our spraying etc but not the heaviest an 8360 or TM would be a different animal.

Are 8340s really that bad? I thought they a good reputation for being tough and reliable.
Nothing wrong with them, a good solid tractor but 1. Not a step up from your machine except for mqybe a few less hours and and extra few mph. Also not a stand out tractor unless you buy an immaculate one so id be worried you'll regret trading your own machine unless you go for something really standout to replace it

Back