Tractor restoration

@FIAT 450
So kinda need to find guys who have been into a fiat before
Yep I’d agree with you there especially when is not one of the more regular tractors like fords or 135s. There is a far greater chance he will know where to get those really hard to find original parts or the best aftermarket supplier for specific parts because they will have trodden that path before, be it sourcing in UK or Europe or wherever.
It’s serious stuff though and once your in, you have to stick with it and just sign the cheque. Not for the faint hearted.

Just wondering is there anybody down south of Dublin that would restore a tractor. Have a vintage tractor that needs a spray up and possibly a 110-90 next sept also. So have to be able to strip, cut, weld rewire the works really. I know Cyril Hannah does great work just wondering is there anyone like him abit closer?

There is a lad not far away that has done a good bit of spraying on Ford's and restoring them. Can't think of his name now but might hit me tomorrow, could be who you are on about anyway.

PJ savage works out of doyle's yard I think. I wouldn't know anything about them
about 10 years or so PJ savage was at the top end of the restoration business. His restorations would be on show in places like malvern in the UK etc. They had a price to match, but his restorations were Real concours and would feature somewhat regular enough in classic tractor. Have not heard of him in a good while so maybe he is still doing them or maybe has backed off them.
I suppose it depends on what you want done, what you are willing to spend and whether the tractor will be worked again.
I use mine for cutting grass etc and invariable the paint gets chipped etc. But I don’t mind I didn’t but it to look at. Some Others might have a heart attack at the though of their tractor getting marks here and there after a “full on” restoration. Each to their own.

Benco tractor restorations in Castledermot serious work done I know he does old Fords Newholland’s etc. Maybe he’d do a fist as well

I had a lad look at my 135 a few years back with a view to him just painting the tin work,he wouldn’t give a price,ffs I wouldn’t buy a slice of toast without knowing how much it cost.

It seems the norm with restoration lads taking their time,my tractor was 4 years with a lad and he hardly touched it. :cursing:

I had a lad look at my 135 a few years back with a view to him just painting the tin work,he wouldn’t give a price,ffs I wouldn’t buy a slice of toast without knowing how much it cost.

It seems the norm with restoration lads taking their time,my tractor was 4 years with a lad and he hardly touched it. :cursing:
Yep. In this space it comes down to trust. Having a price no big comfort either as risk is they cut corners during the job. Good restorations will last the test of time and that’s where preparation comes in.

I can well understand that lad not putting a price on it. A lot of that work is unknown territory. Steel half rotten which isn't obvious until the tractor is stripped down, paint sometimes reacting...the list goes on. I would recon a refurbishment will cost about 25% more than originally budgeted for.. at least. Believe me, I did one for myself a few years ago!

Just wondering is there anybody down south of Dublin that would restore a tractor. Have a vintage tractor that needs a spray up and possibly a 110-90 next sept also. So have to be able to strip, cut, weld rewire the works really. I know Cyril Hannah does great work just wondering is there anyone like him abit closer?

I would be inclined to make inquiries at your local vintage club. In the local club here many of the members done up their own tractors and cars and did excellent work and would have good contacts on who to ask.

I would be inclined to make inquiries at your local vintage club. In the local club here many of the members done up their own tractors and cars and did excellent work and would have good contacts on who to ask.
Thanks never crossed my mind actually.

@FIAT 450

Yep I’d agree with you there especially when is not one of the more regular tractors like fords or 135s. There is a far greater chance he will know where to get those really hard to find original parts or the best aftermarket supplier for specific parts because they will have trodden that path before, be it sourcing in UK or Europe or wherever.
It’s serious stuff though and once your in, you have to stick with it and just sign the cheque. Not for the faint hearted.
She's pretty much all there tbh. Just putting a rad in her at the moment as the old one was getting very brittle. Have two oil leaks to fix and she's ready. Hopefully this guy will come up trump's for me now.

i got the 2 doors on the f 140 done with a lad local to me and i was happy with the work , i haven,t seen any tractors he,s done but lads say he,s tasty . pm if you want his number

Anybody know where you would get little extension arms for the back of the mud guards that you put reflectors on?

Anybody know where you would get little extension arms for the back of the mud guards that you put reflectors on?

I was talking to a good friend of @diesel power yesterday , who is rooting at a Universal 445 for some time . I enquired as to his progress, and where he got parts for it. He had got a few bits from Curleys, but reckoned through New Holland was more successful .

Reactions: max
I was talking to a good friend of @diesel power yesterday , who is rooting at a Universal 445 for some time . I enquired as to his progress, and where he got parts for it. He had got a few bits from Curleys, but reckoned through New Holland was more successful .

Curley is getting pistons and gaskets sets for us at the moment, I wasn't down there so don't know is there much about the place. It was the boss man that was talking to him and he seems to be very helpful anyway.

Il get you the number for the lad in turkey next week @FIAT 450 . Il be over with the man who told me about him then

Any good form out there that would run up a small square number plate? Something around 165mm X 165mm.

Vintage. Black with silver writing.
Contact that crowd i posted link of,iv gotten a few plates off them over the years, one in picture is 160x130 but id say they could make something to your size if asked98A39370-2B41-49FC-9CCF-092A0AF8BB37.png

Last edited:
Anybody have a number for brian mulacly down in cork? The ould man was reading a article in the fj of a 7610 he restored for a man. He has a 85-90 and mad to get her done up.

Back