Trailed furrow press

diesel power

As the heading says lads just wondering what there like. Half thinking of getting one, well I'm actually going to look at one tomorrow if he hasn't sold it first that is. I'm not really interested in a front mounted one for now. Tia Dp.

[MENTION=3048]ithastopay[/MENTION] may have a view on these as he has been researching cultivations I believe.
Trailed is good but its also a set of wheel tracks. Pulling such heavy items can lead to the tractor digging in especially on hills. A firm seed bed is good but compaction is bad.

[MENTION=3048]ithastopay[/MENTION] may have a view on these as he has been researching cultivations I believe.
Trailed is good but its also a set of wheel tracks. Pulling such heavy items can lead to the tractor digging in especially on hills. A firm seed bed is good but compaction is bad.

The wheel tracks are kinda what I was wondering about alright. The tractor pulling it would be a 2wd and on duals so compaction wouldn't be to bad I think.

The wheel tracks are kinda what I was wondering about alright. The tractor pulling it would be a 2wd and on duals so compaction wouldn't be to bad I think.

Duals would make a great difference. The combination you describe could be a good operation.

Even with a 3m I think a 2wd tractor is going to struggle pulling a press and more so when it's a four cylinder.
[MENTION=4234]thefarminglad[/MENTION] will have some opinions as well as ithastopay.

I suppose the big question is, what are you trying to achieve and is it a combination with the newly acquired power harrow?

Dont get me wrong, i think a press is a good job but there'd never be enough power here for one.

Just trying to get the best out of a crop I can nash and with the acres increasing this year and probably again next year I want all I can get out of it. The flat roller works ok but there's times you'd clearly see where the tractors wheels were after going with the barley coming up quicker and better there. I prefer using small tractors where I can for 2 reasons, one is there light on the land and the other is they use less fuel. The valtra is there to pull a press if the blizzard failed or was getting it up it's arse pulling the press. I want to lower the level of my mattress a bit to haha.

Just trying to get the best out of a crop I can nash and with the acres increasing this year and probably again next year I want all I can get out of it. The flat roller works ok but there's times you'd clearly see where the tractors wheels were after going with the barley coming up quicker and better there. I prefer using small tractors where I can for 2 reasons, one is there light on the land and the other is they use less fuel. The valtra is there to pull a press if the blizzard failed or was getting it up it's arse pulling the press. I want to lower the level of my mattress a bit to haha.

For what it's worth I think you might be better off with a ring roller. Could also go with paddles if you wanted.

It might be your post establishment consolidation that you think you need to improve.

There was a thread on pressing here before but for the life of me I can't find it. It could possibly be in one of the ring roller threads on the Tillage section. Worth a review anyway.

For what it's worth I think you might be better off with a ring roller. Could also go with paddles if you wanted.

It might be your post establishment consolidation that you think you need to improve.

There was a thread on pressing here before but for the life of me I can't find it. It could possibly be in one of the ring roller threads on the Tillage section. Worth a review anyway.

You beat me to it nash 6m rolls with paddles theyed take a fair bit of pulling though. the field with the water pipe that dp had the pic of would nearly be fit to sow with that alone

What about a plough mounted press like [MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION] uses?

A good compromise could be a Packomat like [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION] uses. More convenient than my system but still good cultivation and pressing. Doing the pressing at the same time as the ploughing is the best approach if you can make it suit.

Little experience so far of pressing, we have pressed all that we have sowed, won't really know untill it comes up if wheelings are an issue, I like pressing, pressed ground will dry faster then ploughed ground, firm seedbed and more output when sowing, leading tines are a big help on a trailed press, with longer track eradicator tines behind the tractor wheels.
DP are you going to press, then ph, then sow?
An end tow press could be on the receiving end of a mouthful of curses if you block it, even a simple thing like a stone getting caught is not as easy to get out when you can't lift the press. Tbh I'm surprised at you spending money on machinery and increasing acres when returns are so bad from tillage.

Ideal but not sure barring Germany if press and press arms could be gotten handy for a Rabe plough.

cant be that hard to find surely? an hour on the phone to the likes of ellis', brocks, agri linc and the like would surely throw up something.

would it be rocket science to mount a different press arm to the rabe plough anyway? DP is a pretty capable fabricator.

cant be that hard to find surely? an hour on the phone to the likes of ellis', brocks, agri linc and the like would surely throw up something.

would it be rocket science to mount a different press arm to the rabe plough anyway? DP is a pretty capable fabricator.

no prom getting press and press arms was offered a set over the weekend ,they were still in the uk tho

Ah I just meant for an easy life to bolt it straight on.

But you are right, most plough beams are not that different either so shouldn't (famous last words) be a big job.

Tbh a lot of the fields I plough are every sort of shape and a plough press would only break my heart. I haven't my mind fully made up. I am curious about all yer opinions too. Can't beat actual users ideas or advice.

Ithastopay, I actually did alright on the tillage this year . Far better then the cattle side so that's why I'm going that way a little more. The press if I do get one will be the last purchase machinery wise for a while.

A good compromise could be a Packomat like [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION] uses. More convenient than my system but still good cultivation and pressing. Doing the pressing at the same time as the ploughing is the best approach if you can make it suit.

The packomat is very handy for odd shaped fields with poles or other obstacles and when moving from farm to farm, but is heavy so a 4 sod with packomat is heavier than a 5 sod and it wouldn't do as good a job as a trailed press but better than a ringroller.

As the heading says lads just wondering what there like. Half thinking of getting one, well I'm actually going to look at one tomorrow if he hasn't sold it first that is. I'm not really interested in a front mounted one for now. Tia Dp.

I have a 4m trailed double press with leveling paddles and tines. I pull it with a 150hp Case Cs and it takes every bit of power she has to pull it up some of my fields as they are so steep that the combine will not cut them up hill sometimes. Machine itself does a great job especially after my crap ploughing. One run and seedbed can be sown with a power harrow accord sower at over 12km per hour with ease. If i was buying one it would have to have the padddles and tines. I have one field that has grey soil in the middle that goes as hard as a rock, that field gets a run of a disc harrow first as the press would only compact it more if not. You might pull a 3m without paddles and tines but i would try get on trial first before you buy to make sure.

My view is unless you are pressing behind a plough like CORK then you are at nothing using a trailed press without paddles and tines.

I have a 4m trailed double press with leveling paddles and tines. I pull it with a 150hp Case Cs and it takes every bit of power she has to pull it up some of my fields as they are so steep that the combine will not cut them up hill sometimes. Machine itself does a great job especially after my crap ploughing. One run and seedbed can be sown with a power harrow accord sower at over 12km per hour with ease. If i was buying one it would have to have the padddles and tines. I have one field that has grey soil in the middle that goes as hard as a rock, that field gets a run of a disc harrow first as the press would only compact it more if not. You might pull a 3m without paddles and tines but i would try get on trial first before you buy to make sure.

My view is unless you are pressing behind a plough like CORK then you are at nothing using a trailed press without paddles and tines.
Any pictures of the machine.

The vaddy rexios is a super tool. It will turn anything into a seedbed in one pass. Its expensive though.

Got a rabe press arm, double ring press and following breaker rings here if you intrested. I only use press as front press / balast on one pass, so could be tempted to trade for a front press with steering if you tempted to plough and trail.
When you pulling all three rings the seed bed is prepared in one pass, could drill with a mf30 in most soils.

Got a rabe press arm, double ring press and following breaker rings here if you intrested. I only use press as front press / balast on one pass, so could be tempted to trade for a front press with steering if you tempted to plough and trail.
When you pulling all three rings the seed bed is prepared in one pass, could drill with a mf30 in most soils.

Now that would do a good job. Why don't you use it anymore?

I now all spring crop, and time pressure means that as soon as I can travel with plough I need to be out, using the press in wrong conditions causes wheelslip/ smearing which I don't like. Using leveling boards / crumbler in front of one pass as an alternative.

Back