Trailed furrow press

Ever since we bought the roller with the paddles my father has a fascination with it, this is seconded by the land leveler. I get it very hard to convince him that it might look pretty on top but it’s doing f all after that. To please him(and keep the peace) I let him pull down most of the ground with either this year much to my frustration.
On the third last day of sowing the ploughs got well ahead and there wasn’t enough ground ready for the drill so I dropped the 4 furrow and put the 4.6m simba express on a tractor to pull down land. The difference was savage, the simba has a large dd packer and is heavy. The drilling tractor was floating on top of the ground and pulling the drill a lot easier, the drill was also leaving a way better finish and I was able to do any leveling I wanted with the leveling board on the drill as the tractor was gripping so much better. I was also having trouble with the auto steer weaving a lot after both the roller and land leveler and I couldnt figure it out until on the disced ground it went perfect , again down to the ground being firmer. I sat him him up beside me and did a few runs after the disc and after the land leveler to show him, much to his disgust I sent him home with the land leveler and told him I never wanted to see it in front of the drill again.
I do plan on seeing if I can do a conversation to disc Harrow where I can drop of the disc units and put a set of heavy spring tines and a leveling boards on like a simba Cultipress or vaddy rexius twin for pulling down ploughed land.
I can safely say out put with the one pass is up 25% since the ground is pressed properly.

If you don’t have stones , well maybe rocks the farm force will do anything you want, the rexius would probably be the mutts nuts but also 5k more
Is that the disadvantage of the ring type press catching stones, the dd rings press firmer as well do they, that Cross has been for sale a long time now, presumably they would be easier pull with the bigger ring. I might have a look at the farm force, there's been one or two of them for sale in the last 12 months possibly a bit cheaper than that one in KOB.

Is that the disadvantage of the ring type press catching stones, the dd rings press firmer as well do they, that Cross has been for sale a long time now, presumably they would be easier pull with the bigger ring. I might have a look at the farm force, there's been one or two of them for sale in the last 12 months possibly a bit cheaper than that one in KOB.
It’s not really stones getting caught between them it’s the rings cracking with weight of them going over stones , it happened us with one of the cousin presses we had but they could have been fractured and the Stoney ground finished them. Only did 3 and there were easy change . I think the farm force looks a better press than the cross but maybe the cross is just as good .

Attachments

• 64BFB9FA-E480-442E-B887-93EA3386FCF3.jpeg
    64BFB9FA-E480-442E-B887-93EA3386FCF3.jpeg
    619.5 KB · Views: 50
More weight on the rear requires more weight on the front.
The 9” grinder had a bit of work in cutting the weights to fit. They didn’t go away with the last tractor so no harm to put them to use. Grey paint will be added over the winter. Total weight 990kg.
Frame will be used for moving the press between fields but not on road as the load would be to high for the front axle at high speeds.

View attachment 83030View attachment 83031
Colour coordination.

Primed with Zinga.

That’s the OCD calmed for today.

9934AFA7-300F-4D56-AFFF-940E7B51D999.jpeg

2F048CF2-E1D0-4CAD-A6CF-1C2F08136D00.jpeg

I hope the fendt works well for ye.

Because if you go back to Deere its gonna take forever to repaint everything to match
I know, talk about commitment.

To be fair, she has almost 1000hrs up and we’re delighted with it. Hasn’t missed a beat so far.
It has a mix of work, from easy work like spraying to ploughing where she is at her max.
A good workout is good for them, helps prevent anything sooting up.

The comfort is out of this world compared to its predecessor. I find it a joy to use.
The next tractor won’t automatically be a Fendt but based on the experience so far we’d happily go for another if the price is right.
We’ve moved brand before and would do it again depending on what is on offer.

What are these presses like (plough or trailed) like on heavy bottoms?
In general we have very dry land but some field have some very heavy bottoms that plough up wet and shiny in the spring and then go like concrete with the drying.
We often end up powerharrowing these areas twice ahead of the open pass and then struggle to get a firm seed bed and to retain moisture in the dry years.

Back