Trailed silage harvester outfit

Just seen this for sale,not far from me.

Another very interesting machine just in this Keverneland TA ten x with deutz v8 power unit on the front! The engine is air cooled twin turbo runs sweet as a nut forager is very tidy with new flywheel liner that hasnt seen grass all controls for the forager n engine go in cab sharpening stone is like new blades and cutter paddles are worn but still useable machine is ready to go to work a very capable machine too! £5500 plus vat please don’t hesitate to call 07903824662 or pm me for detailsView attachment 91703
Jesus that’s scary. I just came into this thread to post the very exact same picture 😂

Would you keep a trailed harvester going with 2 trailers on reasonably short draws? If you needed a 3rd trailer what way would you break it down?

Depending on the size of trailers. A jf 900 will manage fine on a short draw with two 16 ft trailers. I was basing my figures on the harvester cutting 4 acre/hour @€100/acre giving the two tractors €40 an hour. You could lower the cost per acre of the tractors drawing and allow each tractor €7 an acre for drawing leaving it at an hourly rate of €28 per hour.

What about the big jfs like the 1350 are they able for the big rows and hp.?
there,s a 1350 in the north of the county and they had a 220 hp deere in front of it but weren,t getting the acres through it so they asked the lad that drives my harvester to go up with his fendt 936 and try it on the harvester, she was the boss of it and he reckoned it was capable of 80 acres a day easily , i don,t know what size the rows were but they were definitely 20 ft at least

Just seen this for sale,not far from me.

Another very interesting machine just in this Keverneland TA ten x with deutz v8 power unit on the front! The engine is air cooled twin turbo runs sweet as a nut forager is very tidy with new flywheel liner that hasnt seen grass all controls for the forager n engine go in cab sharpening stone is like new blades and cutter paddles are worn but still useable machine is ready to go to work a very capable machine too! £5500 plus vat please don’t hesitate to call 07903824662 or pm me for detailsView attachment 91703
The machine for the job is parked in the shed

I bought a New JF 1100 in 1995 and drove it for three years with the TW 15 . It was faster than the New Holland 339 . I traded it in against a new Berthoud 3200 Sprayer and The Deutz Fahr 3640 . I stopped buying large amounts of calves and weanlings and expanded the area of rented land . A silage wagon would have been more suitable for the area we were cutting but they had not made their revival at that time as there were still people around that remember the ones Land and Dairy services used to sell . Some years we cut 700 acres with the New Holland 339 .

Jeanie there's a fair combination. There's a 602c down the road here too. Might tidy it up and put it on the laser next year. That's a shocking tidy international too.
Thanks it would of been some outfit back in the day. The international was in a very bad state before I got her.

I spent more time parked up mending a 1900s and a 2205 than I did running up the side of one,JD has been the most reliable self propelled forager to come here,near overtaken by Claas now.

Anyone that had them around here gave out about the blower in them.

Thanks it would of been some outfit back in the day. The international was in a very bad state before I got her.
You made a fine job of it. She looks as good as new if not better. They're some tractor to pull. Me uncle used to run one pulling a digger for years, I'd say he'd still have it if it had a 40k box.

I bought a New JF 1100 in 1995 and drove it for three years with the TW 15 . It was faster than the New Holland 339 . I traded it in against a new Berthoud 3200 Sprayer and The Deutz Fahr 3640 . I stopped buying large amounts of calves and weanlings and expanded the area of rented land . A silage wagon would have been more suitable for the area we were cutting but they had not made their revival at that time as there were still people around that remember the ones Land and Dairy services used to sell . Some years we cut 700 acres with the New Holland 339 .
my 1100 came from that area , castledermot side of hegarties

What about the big jfs like the 1350 are they able for the big rows and hp.?
dad mentioned he sent one out to canada one year. spent hours dismantling the thing to fit it in the container. with enough power, she'll motor along. my uncle had put it on a 240hp david brown i think a neighbour of his owned (not too sure). not sure on the swarth size but they nearly stalled the tractor a couple of times

Our pottinger picked up a beater chain of a dung spreader and was never the same. Got a claas 695 which was a good machine Lad started up locally then cutting for £30 an acre so we sold the claas and got out of the rat race. He lasted 2 years. Got the JF to do our own and a few neighbors.

Given the price of the JFs, (compared to the cost of new machines nowadays) I think there is value in having 2 of them.
There would be serious comfort in having a replacement to hook on to, and be straight back up running again in the event of a breakdown.
I presume €20k would buy 2 tidy ones with enough left in the kitty to throw a few parts into them?

Given the price of the JFs, (compared to the cost of new machines nowadays) I think there is value in having 2 of them.
There would be serious comfort in having a replacement to hook on to, and be straight back up running again in the event of a breakdown.
I presume €20k would buy 2 tidy ones with enough left in the kitty to throw a few parts into them?
A relation used to run claas 61s and 62s,he’d start the season with 5 foragers working,wasn’t unusual to get onto the 5th machine,he bought a claas spfh in the end and has never looked back.

My father and late uncle started cutting silage between them in 1961 , with a Taarup inside single chop . Slow , but the option was shite hay .
I have a trailed JF 850 here since 2012 , which I bought for €2500 , mid winter .
Put a chute and spout off a donor machine last year , few diamond chains about 5 years ago . Needs a new shear bar this year . So spend 2 3 400 max on it any year . Cut 50 to 55 acres first cut , and 25 or 30 2nd cut . Have an 8 ft trailed mower . A 30 year old Zetor 12145 drove it up to last year . A 100 hp 4wd Zetor with a 10 ft push off rake shoves up. Made the slab 15 ft wider last year which made that job much easier . All grass is within a mile and a half , which makes a huge difference. Last few years , we have had a neighbour , and a nephew of the wife's drawing using their own tractors . Both excellent pilots , which is better than having 4 useless lads . I have a 14 and a 15 ft trailer , and sometimes borrow a 16ft Cronin tandem axle from a neighbour , who used to own the 15ft that I have. He gets that back occasionally .
Most farmers have a tractor worth more than the entire outfit I have .
Try and start at 9 am , and have often done 28 to 30 acres by 8.30 pm , milk again .
In 2020 my own mower was out of action , so got a contractor friend who does baled silage to mow it . It worked very well , but he was sort of between busy times . Mightnt work as well in a catchy year . But freed me up to milk myself at normal times , and 1 son followed harvester . 2 different local men , who both incidentally have cattle lorries , cut their own , one with a Jf900 , behind an MF 6465 and tired JCB 412 on the pit.
Other lad has an 1100 behind a Valtra , JcB 320 shoving up
He gets a man to mow for him , with a 10ft mower with grouper , and picks 20s .
My uncle and a neighbour used do their silage together in the late 60's early 70's, a 165 and side mounted 43" Taarup single chop and a 10 x 6 KP trailer,drop the harvester after every load and cart to the pit where a cabless 135 and Kverneland trip buckrake was tasked with the job, 3 walled pit in a 25ft x 45ft shed, fill it till you were ducking your head under the roof trusses. I was put on the buckrake at 13, wheelies up the ramp with only the buckrake preventing a complete upset, the 165 got traded for an IH 674 and the cab would be removed at silage time to allow the user reach the spout controls, a stub in the end of the long drawbar allowed it to pick and drop trailers and with the second trailer output was as good as doubled to 7 or 8 acres on a good day, by the mid 70's the job was given to a contractor with a 60" trailed single chop and they used just do the buckraking or more to the point I ended up doing it and following the contractor to the few farms in the locality to buckrake with the farmers own tractor which could be anything from a Ford 2000, DB 780, MF 135 at the lower end or the afore mentioned IH674, a few years on and I was driving a MF 185 with a Taarup double chop that a neighbour bought to do his own and a small bit of contract work, bought a new IH 955 and McConnell hedgecutter of my own in '79 and between hedge cutting and buckraking or pulling someones double chop managed to pay for it, bought a side mounted JF 80 precision chop and used the uncles 135 on a 6'6" krone drum mower to knock the grass and a IH 574 to draw in and hired in a lad to buckrake with a 7600. 4 years with the JF then traded the lot and bought a Deutz DX 6.30 and a Taarup 602B with an 8ft direct cut head, used to have to drop the head and carry it into some fields on the buckrake as it was too wide for a lot of gates at the time, if you wanted to put in wet silage that direct cut was the way to do it, damn near every bit of water on the grass would end up in the trailer, 3 years of that led to a 9ft JD1327 mower and a JD 3760 trailed harvester that would leave the noise in your head even as you slept, a hard yoke to drive with limited output which got changed to Mengele 30 flywheel harvester had us up to 35 acres a day, the Deutz got traded for a DX 6.50 and the ability to do 40 acres, 2 more years and I joined up with another man who was using a JD 3760 behind TW 20 and he took on the mowing duties and I traded Deutz and Mengele for a NewHolland 1905 spfh, 6 years with that but ended up with running the whole show because the other man had health issues, in '97 strarted another shared operation with lads that were using a Pottinger Mex6 and a Fiat 110-90 up to that, the 1905 went in against an FX 375 which ran until 2006, during that spell we ran 2 JD 1360 mowers with groupers for 4 years sometimes grouping to 20's or spreading full width and rowing with a 20' Pottinger but due to labour shortages changed to a 4 metre Krone and a TM175 for mowing and raking everything, upscaled the rake to a Kverneland 9178 to put 8 metres of grass in a row and still had a bit of hired in in the form of 2 tractors and trailers plus drivers and 2 of my own, amalgamated again in 2006 to the current setup with owner driven triple mowers, owner driven loader on the clamp, rowing up and 2 tractor and trailer units are mine, 2 more belong to the mower man, its now 50 years since I was put on the 135 and buckrake and there was always some sort of a shared operation going on whether it be mowing or drawing in or clamping.

My uncle and a neighbour used do their silage together in the late 60's early 70's, a 165 and side mounted 43" Taarup single chop and a 10 x 6 KP trailer,drop the harvester after every load and cart to the pit where a cabless 135 and Kverneland trip buckrake was tasked with the job, 3 walled pit in a 25ft x 45ft shed, fill it till you were ducking your head under the roof trusses. I was put on the buckrake at 13, wheelies up the ramp with only the buckrake preventing a complete upset, the 165 got traded for an IH 674 and the cab would be removed at silage time to allow the user reach the spout controls, a stub in the end of the long drawbar allowed it to pick and drop trailers and with the second trailer output was as good as doubled to 7 or 8 acres on a good day, by the mid 70's the job was given to a contractor with a 60" trailed single chop and they used just do the buckraking or more to the point I ended up doing it and following the contractor to the few farms in the locality to buckrake with the farmers own tractor which could be anything from a Ford 2000, DB 780, MF 135 at the lower end or the afore mentioned IH674, a few years on and I was driving a MF 185 with a Taarup double chop that a neighbour bought to do his own and a small bit of contract work, bought a new IH 955 and McConnell hedgecutter of my own in '79 and between hedge cutting and buckraking or pulling someones double chop managed to pay for it, bought a side mounted JF 80 precision chop and used the uncles 135 on a 6'6" krone drum mower to knock the grass and a IH 574 to draw in and hired in a lad to buckrake with a 7600. 4 years with the JF then traded the lot and bought a Deutz DX 6.30 and a Taarup 602B with an 8ft direct cut head, used to have to drop the head and carry it into some fields on the buckrake as it was too wide for a lot of gates at the time, if you wanted to put in wet silage that direct cut was the way to do it, damn near every bit of water on the grass would end up in the trailer, 3 years of that led to a 9ft JD1327 mower and a JD 3760 trailed harvester that would leave the noise in your head even as you slept, a hard yoke to drive with limited output which got changed to Mengele 30 flywheel harvester had us up to 35 acres a day, the Deutz got traded for a DX 6.50 and the ability to do 40 acres, 2 more years and I joined up with another man who was using a JD 3760 behind TW 20 and he took on the mowing duties and I traded Deutz and Mengele for a NewHolland 1905 spfh, 6 years with that but ended up with running the whole show because the other man had health issues, in '97 strarted another shared operation with lads that were using a Pottinger Mex6 and a Fiat 110-90 up to that, the 1905 went in against an FX 375 which ran until 2006, during that spell we ran 2 JD 1360 mowers with groupers for 4 years sometimes grouping to 20's or spreading full width and rowing with a 20' Pottinger but due to labour shortages changed to a 4 metre Krone and a TM175 for mowing and raking everything, upscaled the rake to a Kverneland 9178 to put 8 metres of grass in a row and still had a bit of hired in in the form of 2 tractors and trailers plus drivers and 2 of my own, amalgamated again in 2006 to the current setup with owner driven triple mowers, owner driven loader on the clamp, rowing up and 2 tractor and trailer units are mine, 2 more belong to the mower man, its now 50 years since I was put on the 135 and buckrake and there was always some sort of a shared operation going on whether it be mowing or drawing in or clamping.

Top job , Arthur. Very interesting . 👌

Back