Treating Slurry

Bencroy

Maybe there is a thread about this somewhere else.
With the price of fertilizer looking to be substantially higher for next year a few of us was talking about treating slurry to get more out of it.
I have used " digest it " bought throught lakeland / devenish before and did find it good.
Newish product called " slurry gold " made down the road from us.see it been advertised on different sites and a big push to sell it.
Local store selling .5kg tub that treats 50k gallons for 110 euro and tank to be treated just at the start of the winter.
has many on here used many or any of these products.
Did use digest it and found it good.
Is there any of these products better than others , or what is the ingredients that one should expect to see in this products.various products but some not living up to expectation.
Agitation isn't a problem and it's rare I ever had to add water even for 850m piping

Maybe there is a thread about this somewhere else.
With the price of fertilizer looking to be substantially higher for next year a few of us was talking about treating slurry to get more out of it.
I have used " digest it " bought throught lakeland / devenish before and did find it good.
Newish product called " slurry gold " made down the road from us.see it been advertised on different sites and a big push to sell it.
Local store selling .5kg tub that treats 50k gallons for 110 euro and tank to be treated just at the start of the winter.
has many on here used many or any of these products.
Did use digest it and found it good.
Is there any of these products better than others , or what is the ingredients that one should expect to see in this products.various products but some not living up to expectation.
Agitation isn't a problem and it's rare I ever had to add water even for 850m piping
AFAIK, the only ingredient that you need to see in it is Effective Microorganisms, water and mollasses - that's what the Digest-it is anyway. I haven't used a slurry treatment that isn't based on Effective Microorganisms so perhaps there are other methods of treatment?

good in what way?
You should see better grass growth from it. You'll lose less nitrogen in the spreading process.

It should make agitating your tank easier and faster.

There'll be a reduced smell from your slurry when agitating and spreading.

Slurry will break down faster into the soil after spreading.

You should see better grass growth from it. You'll lose less nitrogen in the spreading process.

It should make agitating your tank easier and faster.

There'll be a reduced smell from your slurry when agitating and spreading.

Slurry will break down faster into the soil after spreading.
I'm aware of the manufacturers claims but doesn't seem to be much in the way of actual research bar that done by the product makers themselves.

I'm aware of the manufacturers claims but doesn't seem to be much in the way of actual research bar that done by the product makers themselves.
I'm not selling the stuff. I can only give you my feedback from my experience of using it.

Effective Microorganisms have been used around the world for pollution clean up and sewerage treatment since the 1970s. They are well proven but only recently are they being used for animal slurry treatment. Instead of looking at the manufacturer claims, have a look at some of the research on the main ingredient. That's what I did.

I have it in the bottom of every tank since they were emptied in summer. I have bubbles coming up all over the tank and no crust. I will be topping up each tank in the coming weeks too.

I suppose buy a drum and try it. Is the only way to know.
Would it make it safer to work with i wonder

good in what way?
As mucky said, 5 mins would mix a 40k tank , little or no smell but with in a week of been spread with a splash plate on the pipes the grass coming on was a really rank colour , as if it was after getting a dose of nitrogen aswell.supposed to be less acidic than regular slurry on the ground.
Research was done by devenish nutrition and David Atherton of Thomson and Joeseph.
Haven't used it in 4 or 5 yr but was around 800 if I remember right to treat all the slurry

As mucky said, 5 mins would mix a 40k tank , little or no smell but with in a week of been spread with a splash plate on the pipes the grass coming on was a really rank colour , as if it was after getting a dose of nitrogen aswell.supposed to be less acidic than regular slurry on the ground.
Research was done by devenish nutrition and David Atherton of Thomson and Joeseph.
Haven't used it in 4 or 5 yr but was around 800 if I remember right to treat all the slurry
I had seen that study but would tend to be a little sceptical in cases like that. It does seem to be quite expensive.

I had seen that study but would tend to be a little sceptical in cases like that. It does seem to be quite expensive.
15 slatted bays here. 14ft slat and 8ft deep. Am I right in saying that its approximately 200k gallons in total? A 20 litre drum of digest it did it all the year before last. €350 total cost.

I have a different supplier now.

There's cheaper options out there. Do your research. There's lads doing different things to suit their needs.

It doesn't like antibiotics and it doesn't like detergents, especially anything chlorine based. Some farmers with high antibiotic use or detergent use have had bad experience with it. Also, if you're mixing in pig slurry, it'll kill the bugs almost instantly (I presume its antibiotics or detergent in it)

There will be an upsurge in interest in anything to save fertilizer now.
I used a slurry treatment about 20 years ago, didn't see the return and didn't repeat it

Pig man was down today to get dockets signed for slurry that we got over the summer. Says that pig meat has taken an awful fall in recent months. Reckons there won't be half as much pig slurry in the country next year.

15 or 20 foot bays? 15ft bays would be about 150k gallons, 20ft would be a bit over 200k
15 x 14 x 8ft deep. 1680ft3

47.5m3

1m3 =220 gallons

47.5 x220 = 10,045 gallons per bay

15 x 1045 =156750

Allow an extra 2 bays for agitating points outside =20,090

So just over 176,000 gallons in total.

Last edited:
Was reading that lime used for cubicles which then makes its way to the slurry tank and is spread out with slurry can reduce the uptake of N from that slurry.

Was reading that lime used for cubicles which then makes its way to the slurry tank and is spread out with slurry can reduce the uptake of N from that slurry.
It makes sense all right but you'd have to imagine the reduction would be pretty minimal considering the scale and what makes it to the tank.

Anyone use this stuff? Is it any good? It is quiet cheap

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211106-161024_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211106-161024_Snapchat.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Screenshot_20211106-161020_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211106-161020_Snapchat.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 193
It works - needs to go in to the tank early as it takes some time to activate compared to some of the liquid treatments which are already activated before you put them in. But if you have it in the tank as cattle go in there's no reason why your whole tank won't be treated as you let them out

I used it last year in 2 tanks . I thought that it helped agitation, big difference was the smell . At the money , I will certainly try it again . I mixed it up in a number of mineral buckets , and used a couple of buckets per pen .

It works - needs to go in to the tank early as it takes some time to activate compared to some of the liquid treatments which are already activated before you put them in. But if you have it in the tank as cattle go in there's no reason why your whole tank won't be treated as you let them out
What is the difference between it and the stuff you get from Holland?

Back