Truckin!

It's a mission to get all the lisences. Nearly not worth a young lads while getting one. Spending a couple of grand and to be expected to drive for nothing. It's not just truck driving too. Digger drivers and even ground workers can't be got either. There would only be around 5 out of near 30 people in my class who will go on to work on machinery or go on to do an apprenticeship. Had a great discussion with Peter Farrelly today about it.
The lad driving the Scania said the changes regards only doing the one test would make a massive difference regards getting young lads driving,cost and the hassle of two tests puts them off.

for a part time driver especially, having to do an 1 day cpc every year is sickening.
if that became 2 hours instead you might actually stay listening.
Farmers are cpc exempt if it’s part of your job over here since July 20,cpc I’d say is one thing stopping lads going part time,I know two lads with full hgv licences that cpc has lapsed and they can’t be arsed with the full paperwork bullshit again.

Farmers are cpc exempt if it’s part of your job over here since July 20,cpc I’d say is one thing stopping lads going part time,I know two lads with full hgv licences that cpc has lapsed and they can’t be arsed with the full paperwork bullshit again.
Im 4 modules behind now and still driving a very odd day. time is a problem and 4 cpcs is a waste of 4 days for me anyway

Mate of mine did 4 modules over x2 weekends,on the last day he overslept and rung in to say he’d be late,the chap running the course said don’t bother and signed him up as attended .🤩
I may do my ones in the same place. Have all 5 to do over the next while. May get booking.

Over here everyone is exempt if they are driving "vehicles carrying materials or equipment that the driver uses as part of
their work, as long as driving the vehicle is not the driver’s main activity" P.11 https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/CPC Information Booklet.pdf
Im 4 modules behind now and still driving a very odd day. time is a problem and 4 cpcs is a waste of 4 days for me anyway
Twitchy bum time if you see the RSA 😂 Page 12 https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/CPC Information Booklet.pdf
I may do my ones in the same place. Have all 5 to do over the next while. May get booking.
Do you drive trucks at all? No point doing them if not, waste of time and money.

Over here everyone is exempt if they are driving "vehicles carrying materials or equipment that the driver uses as part of
their work, as long as driving the vehicle is not the driver’s main activity" P.11 https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/CPC Information Booklet.pdf

Twitchy bum time if you see the RSA 😂 Page 12 https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/CPC Information Booklet.pdf

Do you drive trucks at all? No point doing them if not, waste of time and money.
Dont worry, if I meet the rsa i will have a taxi on speed dial. the whole tacho break is bolox anyway..if my card runs out 30 minutes from my finish im not stopping either. if the boss or rsa dont like it, il happily do something else.

The lad driving the Scania said the changes regards only doing the one test would make a massive difference regards getting young lads driving,cost and the hassle of two tests puts them off.
That's what's putting me off. That and although things are going well enough now pay wise for drivers because they can't be got they can cut the pay right down to nothing at anytime they feel like it.

I've heard this before but just based on a quick search I see feck all jobs advertised
I dont know why the lads giving about about no workers don't go advertising looking for them. Alot of the men I know looking for construction workers go to these agency crowds looking for labourers rather than go look for them themselves.

their work, as long as driving the vehicle is not the driver’s main activity"
P.11 https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/CPC Information Booklet.pdf

Yes, I believe it's the same here.

That's what's putting me off. That and although things are going well enough now pay wise for drivers because they can't be got they can cut the pay right down to nothing at anytime they feel like it.
I'm guessing there's more money in the oil, than there is on the tar, & more certain wages into the future

Dont worry, if I meet the rsa i will have a taxi on speed dial. the whole tacho break is bolox anyway..if my card runs out 30 minutes from my finish im not stopping either. if the boss or rsa dont like it, il happily do something else.

That's the attitude that gives "professional " drivers a bad name.

If involved in an accident after going over your time driving with out a break you could be charged with manslaughter and go behind bars.

If one of our drivers go over their allotted driving times , driver is suspended with out pay, end of story , no excuses.

We may not like the rules but must comply.

If involved in an accident after going over your time driving with out a break you could be charged with manslaughter and go behind bars.

If one of our drivers go over their allotted driving times , driver is suspended with out pay, end of story , no excuses.

It all depends on where you are in society. Doctors boast about working mad hours and shifts and we are meant to clap for them and hold them in high esteem. They and their employers can do it without sanction. A driver goes half an hour over his time and he can be held accountable six months later. You can go to school longer than you can drive a lorry.
Society would not collapse if Doctors were only permitted to work drivers hours and we would have a better health system. A quarter of a million people die of medical negligence in the USA . In Ireland the figure is 14K killed or injured. The medical professionals are to a large extent self regulated with official sanction coming in late in the game.

i have pulled in on occasion with 2 hours left on the card because i was tired. its called common sense. thats why there is a shortage of professional drivers.
bosses and the rsa expect a driver to pull in the side of a dark motorway at 2 or 3 am when they are almost home, are now begging the like of me to come back.
the general standard of driving has gone downhill mainly i believe with drivers on longer runs racing around trying to stay within tacho time

It all depends on where you are in society. Doctors boast about working mad hours and shifts and we are meant to clap for them and hold them in high esteem. They and their employers can do it without sanction. A driver goes half an hour over his time and he can be held accountable six months later. You can go to school longer than you can drive a lorry.
Society would not collapse if Doctors were only permitted to work drivers hours and we would have a better health system. A quarter of a million people die of medical negligence in the USA . In Ireland the figure is 14K killed or injured. The medical professionals are to a large extent self regulated with official sanction coming in late in the game.
I have yet to hear a doctor boast about how many hours they work, and I have both family members and friends in the profession. Inherent underfunding and understaffing are the reason for such hours.
Attitudes like this are the reason for such strict rules in the first place. That said, The fact livestock drivers and milk lorry drivers are exempt from such regulations is a total joke.

I have yet to hear a doctor boast about how many hours they work, and I have both family members and friends in the profession. Inherent underfunding and understaffing are the reason for such hours.

Attitudes like this are the reason for such strict rules in the first place. That said, The fact livestock drivers and milk lorry drivers are exempt from such regulations is a total joke.
We have the most overfunded health system in the world. Not enough being spent on primary care and not enough Irish doctors being trained and retained.

And when is the last time you sat on a dark motorway layby at 3am on a friday night to do a 45 ? When 30 minutes more would get you home. The joke has been on the lorry drivers long enough. If i get delayed because the loads cant be planned properly or get held up on road why should i be the 1 parked in the dark.

We have the most overfunded health system in the world. Not enough being spent on primary care and not enough Irish doctors being trained and retained.
The funding does be very slow to find it's way down the line. There on about shutting the local a and e in navan now due to underfunding. It would be great if they invested the 1.5 billion they're wasting on that new children's hospital into upgrading and modernising most of the existing hospitals.

I can understand where @ponderosa is coming from, if a driver is so close to his base/home an extra 30 mins isn't going to make a hell of a difference but on the other side of the coin if there was leeway given it would be abused.
Once upon a time I used do an odd week of get up on a Tuesday morning around 5am and the only bed I got between that and Thursday night was a few hours kip on the boat to Fishguard then onwards to Italy with 8 or 10 drops of the finest Irish beef out of Rathdowney. Sleep in the lory Thursday night, finish doing the drops, do a few collections and point her for Mont Blanc Friday night and no stopping until gone through Dover Saturday night, back to Carlow Sud Sunday night. I only done it an odd time but there were lads at it week in week out.

It was f'ing lunacy but c'est la vie.

Back