Tyre sizes and KV bodies

TAFKAT

One for @gone and @ithastopay and people that have done a lot of ploughing, it has probably been covered on here before, what are the widest tyres that people have worked successfully with KV no.8 bodies? I know 28's are the preferred option for wider tyres but just idly musing to distract myself from the wind and rain.

One for @gone and @ithastopay and people that have done a lot of ploughing, it has probably been covered on here before, what are the widest tyres that people have worked successfully with KV no.8 bodies? I know 28's are the preferred option for wider tyres but just idly musing to distract myself from the wind and rain.
650's can be used with No.8 boards, but not ideal.
16" shares are a help.

650's can be used with No.8 boards, but not ideal.
16" shares are a help.
I would have done a bit with a tractor on 650's in the past, I didn't think it a great job but I didn't spend too long setting anything up as I was only driving it for a couple of hours to get a lad out of a hole. Would have had tractors on 18.4's and 20.8's when I last had a plough with no.8's. on 580's and 600's now, was just wondering if 8's would do the trick still as was half interested in a plough that has come up.

I would have done a bit with a tractor on 650's in the past, I didn't think it a great job but I didn't spend too long setting anything up as I was only driving it for a couple of hours to get a lad out of a hole. Would have had tractors on 18.4's and 20.8's when I last had a plough with no.8's. on 580's and 600's now, was just wondering if 8's would do the trick still as was half interested in a plough that has come up.
580's and 600's will be fine with No.8's and 16" shares.

This plough is on no8 boards with 16” shares and tractor is on 580-70-38. Works just fine. Only two tractors on 580s now and 4 on 650s so there is talk of changing for no 28 boards.

ACDF6E86-BDC4-4F32-9488-9AD596CB2556.png

The trick is to plough the front furrow at 14 to match the previous run as the wider back wheels nip around 2 inches off the previous run

A 650 will just about do with a no.8 but only really on level ground
Any bit of a slope at all and you're in trouble IME.
A 580/70x38 is an ideal tyre for the job l'd say.

650's here with no. 8 bodies and I'm quiet happy with the results. The no.8's are at or very close to the limit with those tyres but I've no intention of changing any time soon. If the plough suits then I wouldn't let the bodies put you off.

Did a lot of ploughing with 650s and no.8s on all sorts of ground. Across hills working up and down and got on fine.
Saying that though, the project in the workshop the last few days was changing the plough with the no.8s to no.28s. to match up with the new plough we got recently which is on no.28.

Switched from 580 to 650 here and no regrets. No problem ploughing with no 8 boards either, side hills, steep hills no bother.. I found the 650 better for fertiilizer spreading and one passing..

KV no 8's set at 14in. Currently ploughing with 18.4's and find them grand and snug in the furrow, what tyre width could I realistically move up to with the current plough?

KV no 8's set at 14in. Currently ploughing with 18.4's and find them grand and snug in the furrow, what tyre width could I realistically move up to with the current plough?
I’m no expert Nash but I know lads that claim to plough at 14 inch with 600’s but that’s the limit so I’m told

Use 16" shares on the current plough and you could plough with 650's even if a bit tight, but 600's or 580's would be a good fit.

Use 16" shares on the current plough and you could plough with 650's even if a bit tight, but 600's or 580's would be a good fit.

New shares only gone on it! 14in ones I think.

But couldn't see anything bigger than 580s on it anyway.

Thanks for that gone.

Have 650s and no28s on the plough. You would just about get away with the tyres on stubble ground but ploughing a lay it sticks out. You roll down part of the last sod. There was 580s on a old tractor and was a better match

Back