Tyres

adamstown tyres are worth a try too, international, john deere and fiat wheels will fit masseys as well

Less than 50% and you can see the b@$¥€£& JD yellow sticking out like a sore thumb.
20191207_115232.jpg 20191207_115244.jpg 20191207_115254.jpg 20191207_115300.jpg 20191207_115323.jpg 20191207_115340.jpg
If you have any interest I will check prices and get back to you, if not no bother.

Hi.
Have a 178 with the heavy pavt wheels and 18.4 x 30 tyres which need replacing. Should I just change the tyres , or the whole wheel to maybe 16.9 x 34s.
Will it make any difference to anything. Is there any trade in value on pavt rims? what’s the best option. Is the extra weight on the back a good or bad thing. It’s used for all small farm jobs. Feeding bales topping fertilizer nog etc. There’s no loader. Thanks

Hi.
Have a 178 with the heavy pavt wheels and 18.4 x 30 tyres which need replacing. Should I just change the tyres , or the whole wheel to maybe 16.9 x 34s.
Will it make any difference to anything. Is there any trade in value on pavt rims? what’s the best option. Is the extra weight on the back a good or bad thing. It’s used for all small farm jobs. Feeding bales topping fertilizer nog etc. There’s no loader. Thanks
16.9 x 34's might not fit

Provided its still got the original type of wings they will fit, 16.9 x 34s were an option on 178s edit 31 inch high wings.

Use your hand with your thump folded in as a guide, if your 4 fingers of clearance the body work and the face of tyre you should be fine. check the whole way from steps to the back lights.

Hi.

Apart from originality, I don't see any value in your PAVT wheels in that case.

BUT

They are an odd size too that I couldn't see much interest in them :scratchhead:. If they are in good enough condition and no sliding on the rails etc, I'd leave well enough alone.

Apart from originality, I don't see any value in your PAVT wheels in that case.

BUT

They are an odd size too that I couldn't see much interest in them :scratchhead:. If they are in good enough condition and no sliding on the rails etc, I'd leave well enough alone.

I think I’ll keep the old rims so and put 18.4 x 30 on them. Have found a pair 18.4/30-15 A9 second hand. I assume these are bias. Will they make any difference on a 178 feeding bales and general small farm stuff or nowadays is radial the way to go? There’s a small bit on the road but just a couple of miles a day. What I’m really wondering is would I even notice a difference.

I think I’ll keep the old rims so and put 18.4 x 30 on them. Have found a pair 18.4/30-15 A9 second hand. I assume these are bias. Will they make any difference on a 178 feeding bales and general small farm stuff or nowadays is radial the way to go? There’s a small bit on the road but just a couple of miles a day. What I’m really wondering is would I even notice a difference.
Are you sure they are "A9"?? and not A8?
It is a long time since I use to know a bit about those tyres, but from the dim and distant memory.
A8 is a speed and load rating for tyres capable of doing 40km, I don't remember ever seeing A9 tyres, though there are A6 tyres.
These tyres could by crossply or radial, usually the crossply will have their ply number stamped right beside the A8 pr12 for example, it is easy tell the difference by sight, the crossply is a very round tyre while the radial has a much squarer face.

Are you sure they are "A9"?? and not A8?
It is a long time since I use to know a bit about those tyres, but from the dim and distant memory.
A8 is a speed and load rating for tyres capable of doing 40km, I don't remember ever seeing A9 tyres, though there are A6 tyres.
These tyres could by crossply or radial, usually the crossply will have their ply number stamped right beside the A8 pr12 for example, it is easy tell the difference by sight, the crossply is a very round tyre while the radial has a much squarer face.

Attachments

• 938EEC88-2999-4EC3-8C0C-FBD98C241A1E.jpeg
    938EEC88-2999-4EC3-8C0C-FBD98C241A1E.jpeg
    656.1 KB · Views: 51
10 ply A9 crossply is what I read.
Back to your question on crossply v radial.
Those oversized crossply tyres on smaller than recommended rims will be slightly more balloon shaped than on the rims they are on, but should be ok.
Moving from radial 16.9r30's to these you will find a drop in traction, on greasy surfaces and with light loads the wider harder crossplys will spin or slide a good bit easier, with heavy loads or on wet ground the wider tyre should be better. You may find the crossplys less comfortable on the road, but there are a thousand other variables, so won't let that be a deciding factor.
For me it would come down to what type of ground you work, if you have slopes and reasonable heavy soil stay away from large crossplys, if you have flat soft boggy type soil they will be an advantage.

Hi, I've a mf 4215 2wd with a loader. I was thnking of changing the front tyres and rims to wider tyres as the tyres on it atm sink badly in the slightest bit of soft ground. I have a decent sized rear weight for any heavy work im doing with it. My question is this- would wider front tyres be harder on the front axle or hubs of my tractor or more likely to cause damage to hubs/axles than narrower front tyres? TIA.

Hi, I've a mf 4215 2wd with a loader. I was thnking of changing the front tyres and rims to wider tyres as the tyres on it atm sink badly in the slightest bit of soft ground. I have a decent sized rear weight for any heavy work im doing with it. My question is this- would wider front tyres be harder on the front axle or hubs of my tractor or more likely to cause damage to hubs/axles than narrower front tyres? TIA.
Yes is the short answer. Wide wheels have to be offset more than narrow wheels putting bigger loads on the hub, bearings and steering, but I think the front axle of the MF4215 was built a lot stronger than older tractors.

What size is it on presently, should be OK on 9.00x16.....

10 ply A9 crossply is what I read.
Back to your question on crossply v radial.
Those oversized crossply tyres on smaller than recommended rims will be slightly more balloon shaped than on the rims they are on, but should be ok.
Moving from radial 16.9r30's to these you will find a drop in traction, on greasy surfaces and with light loads the wider harder crossplys will spin or slide a good bit easier, with heavy loads or on wet ground the wider tyre should be better. You may find the crossplys less comfortable on the road, but there are a thousand other variables, so won't let that be a deciding factor.
For me it would come down to what type of ground you work, if you have slopes and reasonable heavy soil stay away from large crossplys, if you have flat soft boggy type soil they will be an advantage.

Eventually fitted a pair of new Allianz 16.9 30 cross ply tyres to the old pavt wheels. Heavy yokes to be dealing with! On a few months now and are doing the job. Cost 675 incl vat for the pair + 50 fitting which didn’t compare badly to some of the part worn ones available. It probably won’t need another set. Next thing is a front weight frame. Am I right in saying there are two frames available for the Massey 178. How can I tell which one I need as I don’t have a serial number. Cheers

Back