Tyres

Eventually fitted a pair of new Allianz 16.9 30 cross ply tyres to the old pavt wheels. Heavy yokes to be dealing with! On a few months now and are doing the job. Cost 675 incl vat for the pair + 50 fitting which didn’t compare badly to some of the part worn ones available. It probably won’t need another set. Next thing is a front weight frame. Am I right in saying there are two frames available for the Massey 178. How can I tell which one I need as I don’t have a serial number. Cheers
I am not really up on weight frames, I have 1 here for years off a 100 series, I think it came off a 185 but can't remember. I was going to tag SMID, but he got there before me. :Thumbp2:
Good job on the wheels.

No,just the one, 175 was the one that could have either.

That makes it easy so. I know there are 2 types for the 135. At the moment it’s just a home made weight box but for Health and Safety I might move to the proper set up. I assume the weights are interchangeable between the 135 and 178 and will any of the standard 23kg mf weights fit. Do they just lift on and off or is there a secondary fixing to keep them in place too like a through bolt I’ve seen on other setups.

The red massey weights for the 100s have bolt with a big heavy washer witch clamps onto the lower edge of the wt frame ,500 ones are a bit of a pain they bolt together with each half of the weight forming a pin hole so their is a row of jaws with pin holes along the front. Current ones have spring loaded plunger to grip the bottom edge of the frame ,heavier as well at 45kgs.

Hi,
Has anyone got a recent price for new 16.9 r34, 420/85 r34 tyres?, may need to get a pair for the 6410, some secondhand ones advertised and I'd like to get an idea of new prices to see if they are an option before ringing around.

Thanks

@gone have you replaced the 649? with the 7720?
Yeah replaced the '08 6490 with a 191 7720S, was trying to go new but couldn't quite get to an agreement on prices almost bought a T7.230 AC, but ended up with a 1 year old 7720S.
High enough hours but I wouldn't be putting massive hours so suits me well.

Last edited:
Yeah replaced the '08 6490 with a 191 7720S, was trying to go new but couldn't quite get to an agreement on prices almost bought a T7.230 AC, but ended up with a 1 year old 7720S.
High enough hours but I wouldn't be putting massive hours so suits me well.

Best of luck with the new bus and it will be interesting to hear what you think of the tyres

The 7720's up are a big bus, with the cab suspension there is a lot of space.

Hi, where did you buy your Michelin's, might need a set (much smaller!) Later in the year, (PM if you like), hard to get quotes for Michelin.

I did big business with Wesley during the week. Two punctures and two second hand tyres for the road compressor. I’ll be looking for a calendar at Christmas and you will probably get a Golfing holiday like the Garda that was buying tyres for the squad cars.
I doubt it, yourself and Wes's 4 ball against the Gardai is fast becoming an annual event.

It was on Trelleborg TM800's, good tyres but don't like low pressures.

You like your Michelins . I know nothing about them bar having bought a sh set of Michelin 12 .4 x 28s for a Dexta 33 or 34 years ago.
2 Deutz men that i know , 1 being TAFKAT , have a love affair with Trellborgs .

A neighbour of mine bought a new MF 5445 in early 2012. It had a loader fitted , which was rarely taken off it . It left with something like 6500 hours . The original rears were bald , and a set of replacement BKT s on the front bald , after wearing out the originals.

He replaced it with , I think a 6616S, on Mitas . Looking at it a couple of weeks ago with just gone 1000 hours , the Mitas are unmarked. I , and he was very impressed with the lack of wear on them .

You like your Michelins . I know nothing about them bar having bought a sh set of Michelin 12 .4 x 28s for a Dexta 33 or 34 years ago.
2 Deutz men that i know , 1 being TAFKAT , have a love affair with Trellborgs .

A neighbour of mine bought a new MF 5445 in early 2012. It had a loader fitted , which was rarely taken off it . It left with something like 6500 hours . The original rears were bald , and a set of replacement BKT s on the front bald , after wearing out the originals.

He replaced it with , I think a 6616S, on Mitas . Looking at it a couple of weeks ago with just gone 1000 hours , the Mitas are unmarked. I , and he was very impressed with the lack of wear on them .
Horses for courses, if you need low pressures for tillage operations it limits your options and Michelin have more experience than anyone with ultra low pressures.
On grass that way less important, on the 6490 I had to replace a set of Michelins with a set of Trellys because the Michelins were unable to handle the power and weight transfer of the Lemkin 7 furrow plough.

It was on Trelleborg TM800's, good tyres but don't like low pressures.
They don't like high pressure either..:whistle:..
index.php

Back