Ursus 385

aidan7

I have a 1979 Ursus 385 De Luxe which I am starting to do a bit of work on. Where can I get some pictures the original interior? Was there front mud guards on these originally? Any help much appreciated.

What exactly are you looking for of the interior? They’re wasn’t a huge amount to them really. I can’t answer about the mudguards. I think some of them did come with front mudguards but don’t know if they all did

Just looking for images of interior of the original with passenger seat etc. Was there padding inside the rear mud guards? Was cab and interior light grey on original. I don't see many of them over our way in Louth.

I only have it a few years, it's a great solid yoke for bales, topping etc nothing to hard, does my job.

A Rubber mat on the floor with two aluminum pieces across the doors, mudguards were sprayed the same inside and out. the interior light was on the center pillar RHS and was a pearl white with a chrome ring around it.The dash was a hammer finish grey paint. Seat was black with a grey colour piping. The seat frame was painted the same colour as the cab. Some english imports had additional embellishments like sliding windows, padding on the mudguards, and sound proofing under the floor mat...........................................................

A Rubber mat on the floor with two aluminum pieces across the doors, mudguards were sprayed the same inside and out. the interior light was on the center pillar RHS and was a pearl white with a chrome ring around it.The dash was a hammer finish grey paint. Seat was black with a grey colour piping. The seat frame was painted the same colour as the cab. Some english imports had additional embellishments like sliding windows, padding on the mudguards, and sound proofing under the floor mat...........................................................
What's left of the rubber mat is there alright. This was a northern import, has what's left of padding on roof and inside mudguards.

1st picture is like mine, black cab and chassis with white roof. They they must have been a powerful work horse in their day.

One of my many discrepancies when a younger man was ripping the left hand door clean of a borrowed 385. The doors were grand on a hot day you could prop them open but damn if you forgot to close them going into a shed...cruuunch.
Used to buckrake silage with a Zetor 8145 crystal and as far as I can recall they were the same machine? jointly developed with Ursus.
They were very well specked against the competition air compressor amongst other elite things, they had unreal traction.

Have to agree with you on the door design, its happened my dad a few times :scratchhead:. Think the 8145 might have been a later model, was it the zetor crystal 8011 that was very similar?

One of my many discrepancies when a younger man was ripping the left hand door clean of a borrowed 385. The doors were grand on a hot day you could prop them open but damn if you forgot to close them going into a shed...cruuunch.
Used to buckrake silage with a Zetor 8145 crystal and as far as I can recall they were the same machine? jointly developed with Ursus.
They were very well specked against the competition air compressor amongst other elite things, they had unreal traction.

I sold @ZetorMan98 his 385 . Both doors had no glass when he bought it , due to ...
Zetor 8145
20200706_184253.jpg

What car is the seat out of JF :lol:

She's a Lovely example.

Shame on you for thinking id put a seat out of a Ford .......

I gave nearly 400 for that seat I will tell you nash.:tt2: . Its very comfy.

Its left in a field , so i can't go and check what make the seat is .

When l started out pulling beet l only had one tractor and harvester and the farmer supplied the second trailer with tractor and driver.
Consequently l had many colours drawing away from me. All the usual candidates from the late 70's early 80's were represented such as Ford 66 and 76 , MF 590/690 , JD 2040/2140 , Fiat 780/880 , IH 884/5 , a DB 1210 , even a Same Leopard or a Buffalo , l cant quite remember which. The standard farm tractors of the day , typically 80 HP 2WD.
That first year there was one man who had a Zetor 8011 which blew out so much black smoke and oil that his neighbours nicknamed it the "Kowloon Bridge". Later that autumn she apparently blew herself up while ploughing and when l went back to him a few days before Christmas to finish off the last few acres , a spotless 3 year old UK imported Ursus C385 de luxe was hitched to the trailer in the yard. It was flawless and served him well untill he retired. Admittedly we only had 8 and 10 ton trailers then but l can in all honesty say that it NEVER failed to pull a load out no matter how atrocious the conditions got. No doubt that the new Kleber 18.4x34 radials helped but years later even when they were bald the traction and torque that tractor had certainly was unreal.

air compressor ,air seat,front suspension, passenger seat
I think some had rear Demister
Massive sunroof

the doors opened a different way on the ursus compared to the zetor was the only difference i saw between them

I am fairly sure that I have never seen a Zetor 8011 with the spring front axle , only on Ursus 385.
Having said that , the 385 that I had that @ZetorMan98 now owns had an ordinary non sprung front axle . It had 12/74 stamped on the engine block . Purple same as in the 2nd photo posted by @Agri Power

I am fairly sure that I have never seen a Zetor 8011 with the spring front axle , only on Ursus 385.
Having said that , the 385 that I had that @ZetorMan98 now owns had an ordinary non sprung front axle . It had 12/74 stamped on the engine block . Purple same as in the 2nd photo posted by @Agri Power
yeah you,re right i never saw it on a zetor either, i was told that being iron curtain countries one of them made the engines and the other one did the back end and just traded between themselves could be hearsay though

yeah you,re right i never saw it on a zetor either, i was told that being iron curtain countries one of them made the engines and the other one did the back end and just traded between themselves could be hearsay though

That's correct, the Crystal series was a joint development between Zetor and Ursus in the 1960s.

That's correct, the Crystal series was a joint development between Zetor and Ursus in the 1960s.

I read that in classic tractor a few years ago, each had responsibility for opposite ends of the tractor or somethong

Seem to recall universal of Romania having a hand in the 4wd version

I read that in classic tractor a few years ago, each had responsibility for opposite ends of the tractor or somethong

Seem to recall universal of Romania having a hand in the 4wd version
Whoever designed the brakes needs a kicking, other than that a good tractor for their day and price.

Whoever designed the brakes needs a kicking, other than that a good tractor for their day and price.

I remember putting that to a local contractors son, whose father ran 3 8011's back in the day (there is one or two of them still around there) and he said the brakes werent as bad as people made out at all, that they probably needed more maintenance than a 188 etc, but once you knew what you were at, they worked away fine.

Last edited:
I remember putting that to a local contractors son, whose father ran 3 8011's back in the day (there is one or two of them still around there) and he said the brakes werent as bad as people made out at all, that they probably needed more maintenance than a 188 etc, but once you knew what you were at, they worked away fine.
plus you learned to drive not to rely on them

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading somewhere that the hydraulic components and cab frame was made by Ursus , engineers at the Zetor assembly plant weren't too happy at the loose approach Ursus had to following drawings and quality control of hydraulic parts .
It was same story with Massey Ferguson when they had a joint venture with Ursus to build a version of the 500 series in Poland, guys at Ursus weren't too bothered about following updated drawings from Banner Lane , leading to problems later on.

Back