using an angle polisher?

tinman

Very Senior Member
anyone use this tool?.
i bought one recently to cut a bit of paintwork on a bonnet of the tractor, the paint has gone blotchy white on the top of it, rather than spray i decided to give this yoke a try.

is there a knack to it, how much pressure to apply, not too much im thinkin.
and how long to use it, as in how quickly can you go.
i have a light 3M cutting compound, and mer polish amongst some other stuff.

any tips to using one?.

media.nl

anyone use this tool?.
i bought one recently to cut a bit of paintwork on a bonnet of the tractor, the paint has gone blotchy white on the top of it, rather than spray i decided to give this yoke a try.

is there a knack to it, how much pressure to apply, not too much im thinkin.
and how long to use it, as in how quickly can you go.
i have a light 3M cutting compound, and mer polish amongst some other stuff.

any tips to using one?.

media.nl
gently:yes:

wax on wax off grass hopper HAHAHA

try a small area with the cutting compound first the paint maybe shot prob is ya going to have to do the whole lot good cutting job may make it look like new same with a good spray job the the rest still looks old

when i got my valtra the dealer said get the meltlic paint finsh not the flat as it has a better finsh ..

i know that bit, i did a small area lastnight and it came up well but would like to take the bonnet off for a full cut n polish at some stage.

the bit i did, the colour of the paint didnt really come off on the sponge, so i just couldnt be sure if i was doin it right or not.
either that or it is as it feels, a really fine paste.
better that way, but just how much do you need to cut to get a good finish on it after polishing.
maybe applequasher has used one.

also id like to polish the jeep, do i cut it lightly, or do i just apply the polish with the sponge and then buff up with the lambs wool.

wax on wax off grass hopper HAHAHA

try a small area with the cutting compound first the paint maybe shot prob is ya going to have to do the whole lot good cutting job may make it look like new same with a good spray job the the rest still looks old

when i got my valtra the dealer said get the meltlic paint finsh not the flat as it has a better finsh ..

the paint is 2pk so it should be up for a cut.

I looked at one they are great but i though were abit pricy for the amount of times it would be used. But good for giving the tractor a once over every year :thumbup1:

I have got and used one. I can't say I am very good with it though.
First off, are you sure it is 2K paint and not laquered? If it's laquered you won't get colour on the mop (or at least you shouldn't) and your description of white and blotchy sounds like laquer to me.
Other than that, use good quality compound (G3) and lots of water. One of those hand spray thingies and keep it all wet. You don't use compounds dry. Use it at slow speeds so it doesn't fling everywhere. Loads of vids on Youtube, all giving conflicting advice of course. :lol:
Search "colour sanding and buffing" on Youtube.

joe's right, use the wet cutting compound to take the oxidised surface of the dull paintwork using a foam head, and then finish with the bonnet mop and some standard polish, just be careful not to polish right through the paintwork, perhaps practise on an old panel first?

i find a rag and a heap of this works just as well
http://kalecoauto.com/images/elbowgrease.jpg :whistling:

been there, done that, got the t-shirt, with only middling results.
but if you think you could do a better job jd, call over and work away.
i like to save me elbow grease for when its needed for more than polishing paint.
neways, its cuttin paint i want to do.
get a foam head for it and some perfect it put it on wet . its so easy and makes a fantastic job . I use mine all the time

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/item/3M_Polish_3M-Perfect-it-III-Fast-Cut-PLUS-50417_0_0_105_0.html

much better than T Cut

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=PTC/CH/M14-P

this is what you need to make a good job .

Use plenty water and its so easy then wax it . you will be amazed

as it happens, seems like i have all the kit,
all above joe, i bought the same day as the polisher:001_smile:.

more of a case of trial n error now i think.

applequasher, your right, it has a coat of lacquer.

when applying a coat of polish, i use the sponge again (after washing, but ill pick up another one solely for that when i get back to the autofactors).
then buff up with the lambs wool.
that correct.
whats the advantage of the speeds? (apart from firing stuff everywhere)

have a few warm ups on the inside panles of ya baler or header IE were no one sees then cut loose on the tractor kinda look like a bit of an arse if ya down to the primer in a few areas

not sure if this is much use to you but have a look at the guide on this link. I went over my girlfriends car last year using some of the tips. I bought some Dodo juice clay detailing spray and clayed it to start with and that made such a difference then went over it with Auto Glym polish to take out some of the light scratched before using Auto Glym wax. It was still shining 8 mths later when we sold it.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f4/the-detailing-handbook-t68/

There are lots of professional detailers on this site too and lots of useful hints and tips.

I have contemplated getting a polishing machine - maybe something for the summer.

Merv

All i can say is....... why why why ? It would just get dirtier sitting in the garage, unless it was a "white room".... so why why why ?

He wouldnt want to drive that down our lane when weve been spreading chicken muck. :lol::lol:

nuts, he's got ocd

yes, i was thinking that myself. He looks like the sort of chap who gets annoyed at his wife if she puts a baked bean tin in the cupboard and it doesn't fit in with his colour coding scheme or the label doesn't line up with all the other tins. though to be fair, he probably hasn't got a wife.

I liked the bit where he was taking delivery of the car and got a paint thickness gauge on it with a view to rejecting it if it didn't meet his exacting specifications. I bet they just love him down the Vauxhall dealership.

Somewhere out there is another thread of his. He did the same to a Dyson.
I don't know, but I suspect he doesn't have a wife.:lol:

o boys, that looks like OCD alright, im surprised with all the flaws he found he didnt take it back:laugh:.

no doubt he made a fine job of it, but someone needs to get out more imo.

indeed, a woman would soon take that kinda larkin about out of him:lol::lol:

Back