Vicon Wagtail Bearing

Johnboi

I bought a s/h wagtail over the winter for handy money. Just going through it today and I noticed a bearing is gone in the flywheel that joins onto the Y piece. It has two bolts holding the bearing in. Are these hard to change or will I need a mechanic or any specific tools?

I bought a s/h wagtail over the winter for handy money. Just going through it today and I noticed a bearing is gone in the flywheel that joins onto the Y piece. It has two bolts holding the bearing in. Are these hard to change or will I need a mechanic or any specific tools?
Should be a fairly straight forward job to remove the bearing and aluminium housing. Just remove the 2 bolts and the plate will come off. You should be able pull the housing out then. As for what you replace then depends on the type of housing and how long the bearing has gone for. There’s one type of housing that’s mad money from what I remember. You may get away with just taking the bearing out of the housing and replacing the bearing

Thanks. I’ll take a spanner to it and see how I get on so
Also, make sure the end of the wishbone that sits into the bearing isn’t worn down. If it is, again depending on the housing and bearing, you may need to put a new sleeve on it, try and build it up, or replace the wishbone. Stick up a couple of photos of the aluminium housing and bearing, as well as the wishbone when you get it out. There’s 3 different types from memory

Hope these pics show enough. There is a lot of play where the wishbone goes into the flywheel. About half an inch of play

Attachments

• 46045600-B1DB-41A6-A23D-C65065F12FEA.jpeg
    46045600-B1DB-41A6-A23D-C65065F12FEA.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 206001E4-ADEF-4710-B513-500306D373B1.jpeg
    206001E4-ADEF-4710-B513-500306D373B1.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 49
The aluminium housing doesn't always want to come out. Years of fertilizer can rust them solid. If you can't get it out just get a drill and drill it to bits and it'll come out then. On the vicon here I had to do that. I seem to recall the replacement bearing came as kit which had the aluminium housing, bearing and a sleeve for the end of Y piece all in the one box.

Doesnt look like a vari width housing, ours was definitely different. The wishbone end will be ovalled if not caught in time. Nothing cheap about wishbone and aluminium housing either.

Just an update on this. I’m after giving the aluminium housing a fair bit of hammering and wd40 but she is refusing to budge. Is there something I’m missing? I’m hammering it towards the tractor

Attachments

• 2EF23081-247C-4466-96C3-93BFE2D5A9E1.jpeg
    2EF23081-247C-4466-96C3-93BFE2D5A9E1.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 35
Just an update on this. I’m after giving the aluminium housing a fair bit of hammering and wd40 but she is refusing to budge. Is there something I’m missing? I’m hammering it towards the tractor
You're going the right direction, there is a plastic band that goes around the aluminium housing to prevent it corroding to the housing but it didn't seem to work in your case. Try hit it around the edges with the hammer from behind because if you hit a thin part it'll break.

Replacing this funnel at the bottom of the hopper (real old vicon) where it feeds into the spout.
Anyone know how it's fixed in place, There looks to be 3 domed head rivets or bolts, maybe it's just the heads are worn off. Any ideas how to get them out.
20211013_193746.jpg

Back