VRY's photos

Manannan? Or Swift?

Big oul block made of cheese! Wouldn't want to be buying pistons for her at £6600 each would ye? Or a crankshaft either?

what is that engine out of and where did you take that pic

It's the block from one of the propulsion engines off the Manannan catamaran ferry run by Isle of Man steam packet. There are 4 of these on her, v18 and each piston has a 11" diameter. Think they are 9000 to 10000 hp each.

Thirsty brutes too!

Pictures are possibly taken in Birkenhead but am sure [MENTION=4034]Vry[/MENTION] will let you know.

The Jonathan swift uses the same type of engines and setup.

Caterpillar only ever made 63 of them engines I think.

what is that engine out of and where did you take that pic

As Paddy 1001 said above its from the Mananann and the picture was taken in Finning in leeds before the block was sent to Rotterdam to get line bored after a crank shaft failure. The liner seats were machined out and sleeved at the same time.

No, 4 weights hold it down but more wanted for comfort. Only picked up the drill today. Have a few acres of bird cover drill. Then I will remove the coulters for grass and just blow the seed out

Thanks for going to the rounds of posting pictures , of what , to most of us would be hardware we are unlikely to ever see.

What sort of hours would the CAT engines do , before replacement , or major overhaul ?
Their diggers and tele porters would have a great name for reliability and longevity. But also considered not a "farmer " machine , because of the very high cost of repair and parts for them.

A local concrete supplier whom I am friendly with bought a CAT teleport, ex Galmoy mines . Seems a grand machine.

The trucks will do 20,000 hrs or a bit with it but we replace main and big end bearings about half way through life. Every component here is replaced on hours worked. The only original part will be the chassis and cab some of the fleet has over 100,000 hrs . We have a loader in now for its first overhaul and it's done 25000 hrs. Nothing compares to the big Cat equipment the smaller stuff is made to a price I think. I must see have I a few pics that my brother sent me he does the same in OZ.

Back