Wagtail spreader bearing replacement

nellyg

Hi all,
Bit of an issue at the end of last year with bearing fail on a wagtail spreader. Taken apart this week and it is the bearing on the frame that is gone. All bearings on the flywheel and wishbone ok. Struggling to get it out though. I have removed the circlip at the bottom and presume the shaft must be hit up from the bottom.
Anybody every change this bearing before or any advise on how to get the shaft out?

Attachments

• 90C15332-93E5-43FC-86B9-E4D7962268A0.jpeg
    90C15332-93E5-43FC-86B9-E4D7962268A0.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 132
Hi all,
Bit of an issue at the end of last year with bearing fail on a wagtail spreader. Taken apart this week and it is the bearing on the frame that is gone. All bearings on the flywheel and wishbone ok. Struggling to get it out though. I have removed the circlip at the bottom and presume the shaft must be hit up from the bottom.
Anybody every change this bearing before or any advise on how to get the shaft out?
If it’s the same as an Abbey after removing the circlip the grease cap should come out the bottom,there should be another circlip holding the shaft through the bottom bearing when that’s removed the shaft come out the top.
Maybe the Vicon is different I’m not sure though.

done a few not fresh in my head though.

remove the bearing in the front of the y.
screw out the two plastic bearing covers on the side of the y.
take out the bolts and hit the y to one side to take out forst bearing then the other way to take out the other side bearing.
the bottom shaft should fall out then.

think this is how I did it but i replaced all bearings each time and checked the condition of the front of the y to make sure it is still round, it is the front aluminium housing and bearing that is really stopping from the lower shaft coming out.

someone will know for sure

I have an old one dismantled for bits in the shed, I’m fairly sure that I removed the round aluminum bearing housing that fits into the flywheel and then the whole center shaft and wishbone Y come straight up with the help of a hammer after removing circlip. It’s years since I took it apart but I’ll take a look at it first chance I get.

God I cant remember. Its been a few years now, but I definitely remember doing more bating on that one than I was comfortable with.

Something that is important is to identify the spreader unit you have. They all have model numbers and with the model number you can get the parts diagram and be able to order parts.

The model number is on a plate on the black plastic housing of the spreading unit

Hi all,
As mentioned already, the wishbone needs to come off first. Take off the 2 plastic caps, then take out the bolts. Tap to 1 side to get the first bearing out then back to the other side to get the second one. After that once the grease cap and circlip are removed, it may come out easily, but more than likely will require precision use of a persuasive device (BIGGEST SLEDGE YOU CAN FIND :tt2:). A few belts of a hammer should get it out. Mine fell out because there was no balls left in any of the bearings :tdown: just be careful not to mushroom the end of the shaft when hitting it because it either won’t come out of the bearing or won’t go on the new one. I’d replace all bearings while I’m in there and as already said, check the end of the wishbone for wear and the bearing in there too. The wishbone or the aluminium bearing housing not cheap parts to replace so try and get them before they go

As mentioned already, the wishbone needs to come off first. Take off the 2 plastic caps, then take out the bolts. Tap to 1 side to get the first bearing out then back to the other side to get the second one. After that once the grease cap and circlip are removed, it may come out easily, but more than likely will require precision use of a persuasive device (BIGGEST SLEDGE YOU CAN FIND :tt2:). A few belts of a hammer should get it out. Mine fell out because there was no balls left in any of the bearings :tdown: just be careful not to mushroom the end of the shaft when hitting it because it either won’t come out of the bearing or won’t go on the new one. I’d replace all bearings while I’m in there and as already said, check the end of the wishbone for wear and the bearing in there too. The wishbone or the aluminium bearing housing not cheap parts to replace so try and get them before they go
Wishbone and aluminum housing aren’t very cheap parts that’s for sure!!

Hi all,
I did the whole process 2 years ago but other than taking out the bottom circlip I cant remember, must be old age.

20200329_163058.jpg
Only getting back to this now, here's my spare parts with the wishbone removed, so remove the circlip from underneath and drive the shaft straight up, it's the only way it can go.

If it’s the same as an Abbey after removing the circlip the grease cap should come out the bottom,there should be another circlip holding the shaft through the bottom bearing when that’s removed the shaft come out the top.
Maybe the Vicon is different I’m not sure though.

Spot on. Had to weld a nut to grease cap to get leverage to get it out. Circlip on shaft underneath grease cap has to be removed then and it can be hit out.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Reactions: jpt
Do i need take anymore off here before shaft will go up

Attachments

• A46FBFE1-A469-4F0F-8406-024CD512C7A1.jpeg
    A46FBFE1-A469-4F0F-8406-024CD512C7A1.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 74
I have an old one dismantled for bits in the shed, I’m fairly sure that I removed the round aluminum bearing housing that fits into the flywheel and then the whole center shaft and wishbone Y come straight up with the help of a hammer after removing circlip. It’s years since I took it apart but I’ll take a look at it first chance I get.
not yet

thats the oblong bit with the two studs ?
Its the cast part shaped like a wide horseshoe that has a bearing housing on both ends and in the middle it has a stub that goes into the aluminum housing that fits in the flywheel.

Its the cast part shaped like a wide horseshoe that has a bearing housing on both ends and in the middle it has a stub that goes into the aluminum housing that fits in the flywheel.

yes remove plastic cover, and the aluminium bearing housing/adjuster will tap out forward towards tractor

cheers lads i got them out today and got two new bearings the others were very bad even though spreader done nearly no work since new and has been washed greased and oiled after use . The frame is very rusty too so im going get it blasted and paint it

cheers lads i got them out today and got two new bearings the others were very bad even though spreader done nearly no work since new and has been washed greased and oiled after use . The frame is very rusty too so im going get it blasted and paint it
When refitting the bearings make sure to remove the top seal of the bottom bearing and the bottom seal of the top bearing. This ensures that grease can get into the bearings from the central grease nipple.

When refitting the bearings make sure to remove the top seal of the bottom bearing and the bottom seal of the top bearing. This ensures that grease can get into the bearings from the central grease nipple.

thanks for that will do . I haven't even gotten round to that yet .

What make is it? You may have said already so apologies in advance

Back