Wagtail spreader bearing replacement

How old is your one powerfarmer?

I made the mistake last year of powerhosing our one a bit too close I reckon.
2008 I think, it was a couple of years old when it came here. It's been a good machine otherwise.

Last edited:
How long should bearings in a cosmo wagtail last? We have ours about 15 years and we are putting in our third set. It spreads less than 20 ton per year. The main shaft bearing is loose a bit and the flywheel is rubbing slightly. The fork bearings aren't perfect either and will be replaced like we did the last time. I'd hate to see what a wagtail spreader would be like if it was spreading 50 ton a year.

How long should bearings in a cosmo wagtail last? We have ours about 15 years and we are putting in our third set. It spreads less than 20 ton per year. The main shaft bearing is loose a bit and the flywheel is rubbing slightly. The fork bearings aren't perfect either and will be replaced like we did the last time. I'd hate to see what a wagtail spreader would be like if it was spreading 50 ton a year.
If the bearing in the aluminum housing has been damaged in the past or the wishbone end that the bearing goes on is worn or slightly off shape due to a repair it’ll never last a long time. For a simple mechanism it needs to be snug in every joint and bearing to have longevity. I’d grease the aluminum housing bearing one pump of grease each wash to get rid of water. Same for every other bearing too really.

Not too long once they get a bit of wear in them,I was putting in a set every year or more until I got it modified,I assume the Cosmo is the same as the Abbey with the circlip on the bottom shaft.

I was putting never less than 150 Tonne through the Vicon and sometimes more than 300 tonnes and I always had a spare spout . My neighbour was spreading less than 40 tonne and he was always putting bearings in . The rubber doughnut on the driveshaft was often replaced on mine . I thought it was because he was letting the revs drop where as I always kept the revs up . When I originally bought ours it had a narrow spreading unit but I replaced it after a few years with the more modern unit during the 1980,s . It was a three tonne trailed machine and I bought it in around 1978 and sold it in 1999 . I know I replaced bearings but I cannot remember there being any great issue doing it . The main bearing on the auger used have to be done every few years but rather than try and take it apart I used just hacksaw the shaft and get them to squeeze it out in a press and make a new shaft . An Englishman working in J&J called me a Barbarian for doing it .

I was putting never less than 150 Tonne through the Vicon and sometimes more than 300 tonnes and I always had a spare spout . My neighbour was spreading less than 40 tonne and he was always putting bearings in . The rubber doughnut on the driveshaft was often replaced on mine . I thought it was because he was letting the revs drop where as I always kept the revs up . When I originally bought ours it had a narrow spreading unit but I replaced it after a few years with the more modern unit during the 1980,s . It was a three tonne trailed machine and I bought it in around 1978 and sold it in 1999 . I know I replaced bearings but I cannot remember there being any great issue doing it . The main bearing on the auger used have to be done every few years but rather than try and take it apart I used just hacksaw the shaft and get them to squeeze it out in a press and make a new shaft . An Englishman working in J&J called me a Barbarian for doing it .
Did you do it the real barbarian way of sitting the hacksaw on the shaft and using the pto to turn it or did you just saw through it :lol::lol::lol:

Looking at the wagtail spreader here at home and something aint right (copy of a cosmo) . Vibrating nicely at 540 rpm . Never really looked too closely at the workings of it till tonight . All bearings seem good except for the one connecting the fork to the flywheel . Fork can move around in the flywheel and 3 and 6 o clock but sits tight at 12 and 6 .

Looking at the wagtail spreader here at home and something aint right (copy of a cosmo) . Vibrating nicely at 540 rpm . Never really looked too closely at the workings of it till tonight . All bearings seem good except for the one connecting the fork to the flywheel . Fork can move around in the flywheel and 3 and 6 o clock but sits tight at 12 and 6 .
Flywheel bearing in the aluminium housing or wishbone stub is worn I'd guess. There's more leverage on it at its loose position and it's in sideways motion at 12 and 6 oclock so seems tight then. I'd take it apart before it grenades itself.

This looks to be the flywheel that I have
01A14BCD-D4FB-4BA2-8C22-CB28DB4CF7B9.png

Going by the pic below I’m missing the second ridge off it
007EDBFE-5FC9-4284-AFF4-B05939A4E18A.png

007EDBFE-5FC9-4284-AFF4-B05939A4E18A.png

This is my one excuse the rust is the fork adjuster ridges supposed to sit either side of the flat plate bolted in my pic .

638D93AB-EC8C-4E17-BEE0-4F3F0B8E72FC.jpeg

It`s fully back together .......

I used stainless bolts to put it all back together 8yrs ago after giving the frame a lick of paint . Made it much easier to dismantle this time .
Not sure how much re assembling you’ve done but I’d be using copper grease on all components on a fert spreader when putting it back together, makes the next job so much easier.

Back