Wanted: a new method of ensilage.

I’ve asked a few knowledgeable people before what’s the difference between the 2 and I’ve never really gotten a proper answer. All I do know is that I’ve never seen any silage no matter when it was cut or what ever type of grass in a bale or put to ever test out over 78DMD and that’s the normal DMD so that’s 81 ivdmd if you add the 3 hence i wondered about the test from the additive supplier.
Not sure on the story with it, it had no additive either which was awesome to tell the rep lol

What's with the sarcasm lad. Don't be so defeatist. It ok if you've no interest in trying to understand the processes of making better quality preserved forage but I don't think you need to shit on other people's interest or attempts at trying to do so.
I get it, the cows only eat what you can bring in to them blah blah. If you've no further interest in it than that then why join in the conversation at all?

I use the way they milk to gauge the quality of the silage. That's all.

Just fuck it in and let the effluent run out. Feed a shake of meal Will be cheaper than buying a whole load of equipment. Might be super weather next year.

I’ve no effluent tank as such,steel erectors coming to do the next 6 bays of the shed in a months time,they’ll cry if they have to drive through any effluent.

Even then I’ve to actually travel on the field to get it,local dealer has a baler advertised for sale or hire so I may be able to do a deal,simply can’t use a fusion baler because there so heavy,this weeks forecast is shite again.

I missed getting some 3rd cut in 17,18 did it end of September and 19 was 18th September,still time yet but this years way wetter.

I’ve no effluent tank as such,steel erectors coming to do the next 6 bays of the shed in a months time,they’ll cry if they have to drive through any effluent.

Even then I’ve to actually travel on the field to get it,local dealer has a baler advertised for sale or hire so I may be able to do a deal,simply can’t use a fusion baler because there so heavy,this weeks forecast is shite again.

I missed getting some 3rd cut in 17,18 did it end of September and 19 was 18th September,still time yet but this years way wetter.

Weather often takes in September for a while.

I think long range forecast should be ignored, cause a lot of depression, no matter what they tell you the forecast is 50:50 past 3 days.

So you would be happy wasting soluble sugars and proteins?

I was on a farm tour a couple of years ago.
He used an adative from this crowd
https://kelvincave.com/forage/silage-additives/approved-biological-silage-additives-better-silage/
He said it was insanely expensive but never had any effluent when using it.
The silage looked unlike any silage I'd seen before too. Grass looked more like dark grass than silage!!
Not sure which one it was though.
To put perspective this farm won a national competition on pit silage with that pit that year.

What's with the sarcasm lad. Don't be so defeatist. It ok if you've no interest in trying to understand the processes of making better quality preserved forage but I don't think you need to shit on other people's interest or attempts at trying to do so.
I get it, the cows only eat what you can bring in to them blah blah. If you've no further interest in it than that then why join in the conversation at all?

No need for that poor attitude. If you've no interest in being civil don't post a reply.

No need for that poor attitude. If you've no interest in being civil don't post a reply.
So are you saying that his previous few comments were very sarcastic? "Just fuck it in and let the effluent run out of it" "I made silage in November once.....it was dung" "I don't understand the figures so I couldn't explain it to the cows", if anyone has a bad attitude as it relates to the topic of the thread it's not me!
Pretty sure @scoffcruddle already knows how to put in wet silage, don't think they are neither constructive or helpful comments.

So are you saying that his previous few comments were very sarcastic? "Just fuck it in and let the effluent run out of it" "I made silage in November once.....it was dung" "I don't understand the figures so I couldn't explain it to the cows", if anyone has a bad attitude as it relates to the topic of the thread it's not me!
Pretty sure @scoffcruddle already knows how to put in wet silage, don't think they are neither constructive or helpful comments.
I'm not saying anything about the other poster. Sarcasm applied with wit is a completely different thing to making personal and derogatory comments about another forum member. Stick to the topic please and thanks.

I'm not saying anything about the other poster. Sarcasm applied with wit is a completely different thing to making personal and derogatory comments about another forum member. Stick to the topic please and thanks.
Nothing witty about what he said. I think it was disrespectful to the discussion. It's as much as saying what's the point in knowing or trying to know these things cause you're just going to feed it to the cows anyway. His 3 posts were pretty much against discussing the topic at all! Sure what's the point trying wet silage be wet just fuck it in and let the effluent run out why talk about it.

Nothing witty about what he said. I think it was disrespectful to the discussion. It's as much as saying what's the point in knowing or trying to know these things cause you're just going to feed it to the cows anyway. His 3 posts were pretty much against discussing the topic at all! Sure what's the point trying wet silage be wet just fuck it in and let the effluent run out why talk about it.
Again, I'm not talking about the other poster, I don't see anything too bothersome with what he said, ignore them if you deem the posts irrelevant.

The dog is close enough to driving the jeep and sending mf240 out for the cows as it is:yes:

He may get a loan of @diesel power s left hand drive Dodge , to get him in on the driving part. That dog is so used to sitting on the left hand side , in the passenger seat . In an advisory capacity of course , that it would be hard teach an old dog new tricks , and sit in.the right hand seat . :rolleyes2:

I don't care who you are talking about, I pulled you on this due to your poor attitude.

Have another read of this: https://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?help/terms

Any more infringements will result in a spell of gardening leave.
You pull away. If you think I'm the one going against the topic and actual discussion then send me to my garden. Should please alot here. All these stupid comments trying to be witty about "the dog" well this forum is heading for the dogs! Nearly ever topic has the same few lads basically as much saying "ah sure why try that sure isn't it just as well to accept what you've got" if it's a tractor they tell you to just cop on and get contractor, if it's dairying sure isn't your land too wet, you'll need to send the dog out on a boat for them in the morning. I'm sick to the eye teeth of it and this place is getting worse and worse so I'm not one bit afraid of not being here.

You pull away. If you think I'm the one going against the topic and actual discussion then send me to my garden. Should please alot here. All these stupid comments trying to be witty about "the dog" well this forum is heading for the dogs! Nearly ever topic has the same few lads basically as much saying "ah sure why try that sure isn't it just as well to accept what you've got" if it's a tractor they tell you to just cop on and get contractor, if it's dairying sure isn't your land too wet, you'll need to send the dog out on a boat for them in the morning. I'm sick to the eye teeth of it and this place is getting worse and worse so I'm not one bit afraid of not being here.

I never said you were going against the topic, I merely take issue with your comments made to another poster in this thread which were out of line with the spirit in which this forum operates.

It's completely up to you how you interpert the discussion forum and the value it gives.

If you have legitimate issues with dogs or other members on the forum feel free to air them in a respectful and appropriate manner. However, members who disproportionately react and make unwelcome personal comments about other members will not be tolerated, regardless of their views on dogs, silage or other matters. That type of behaviour creates a negative atmostsphere in which others will be reluctant to contribute. Our intention is to encourage an atmosphere that facilitates discussion, not hinder it.

Usually into the pits for the main cuts, and bales for everything else for us. Two different contractors are involved it's a matter of asking them what way they are fixed and try book a day in advanced. Once weather plays ball it all falls into place.

Usually into the pits for the main cuts, and bales for everything else for us. Two different contractors are involved it's a matter of asking them what way they are fixed and try book a day in advanced. Once weather plays ball it all falls into place.
I get upset if im not put in the loop a week in advance

Sorry I don't mean a day in advance what I meant was try book a day to cut in advance of cutting. Grammar wasn't my strongest point in school. Was too busy looking at the teacher
dont worry bout it
i tell my customers to ring a week or so before they are ready
can normally slot things together easy then:Thumbp2:

dont worry bout it
i tell my customers to ring a week or so before they are ready
can normally slot things together easy then:Thumbp2:
Ya I'd agree with you. There no point spending a hape of money growing it and then not cutting it right either. Same goes for maize, lads panic and cut and all the sugars and starches running out the back of the trailers

Some pretty exciting breakthroughs in drying technology in the last few years.
Ultrasonic drying it's called, it doesn't require heat but rather shakes water out of material. Done a bit of reading on it yesterday, it uses similar set ups to a humidifier, which can create cold steam.
There has been commercial implementation in using it along with convection or warm air drying where they blast the material with the ultrasonic waves, but it's most efficient in direct contact set ups where the material is on the vibrating surface.
Up to 5 times more energy efficient than warm air drying and twice as fast.
Well what's the catch?
You get 10kwh of energy in a litre of oil, which can be used pretty much at 100% efficiency in producing warm air, but only 30ish% in producing electrical energy, so if you are using a diesel generator to supply the power for the system your benefit is marginal compared to just burning the diesel. And even in a stationary setup the price of electricity compared to oil still leaves it very expensive.
At the minute they can dry out 8kgs of water for every kwh of electricity, this could improve again but I'm not sure by how much, anyway if we are talking fresh grass to hay that's 6000kgs of water that needs removed so that's 750kwh per ton of dry matter at idk 12c/kwh? 90 euro a ton for dry hay any day of the year. That's not low enough yet but it's still a remarkable reduction in energy cost. Even with a little natural wilt say to 25% we could reduce that cost to 50 euro a ton.
Coupled with macerator mat technology on a good day you'd have hay for 35 euro a ton the same day you mowed it.

Back