Washing out cows

Mf168

Any suggestions on home made remedies for washing out dairy cows that have a white discharge 6wks or so after calving? I have used metricure in the past , some folk say a mixture of lugels iodine and distilled water is as good at a fraction of the price. What rates of dilution and amounts are used, also what kind guns or syringes do people use? Advice will be appreciated.

Approx 100 ml solution with iodine at 5%. Should be the same colour as weak tea. Works here anyway. Have changed to hibiscrub the last 2 years. No withdrawal and less likely to burn the cow inside.

Had a cow here really bad vet put 50ml of engemycin straight into uterus with a catheter(said to leave her be now). Not a bother on her now. I done 1 myself after that I got a metricure tube heated 1 end and pushed a syringe into it to make it fit worked a treat.
My father always said if it’s white she is fighting the infection herself.

We don’t wash any out anymore,just give them a jab of estrumate.

Used all sorts over the years,had a pipe on a bottle like a calf feeding bag,haven’t used it for years now.

I walk thru cows at night when they’re happy lying down and notice freshly calved cows with a bloody discharge are these the cows that should be getting cleaned out or if it’s not smelling just leave them be?

We don’t wash any out anymore,just give them a jab of estrumate.

Used all sorts over the years,had a pipe on a bottle like a calf feeding bag,haven’t used it for years now.
Does estrumate work if they have held on to the placenta and it’s hanging no sign of letting go?

Does estrumate work if they have held on to the placenta and it’s hanging no sign of letting go?
Last one I had that didn't clean, gave her pen strep for 3 days and on the 3rd morning she'd cleaned, before the 3rd jab. No gloves needed.
First jab was on the Thursday after calving on the Saturday previous.

Back