waterbowls

Why not something with a push nose engager on it?

We hated those type with a vengence - always giving trouble.

Why not something with a push nose engager on it?

We hated those type with a vengence - always giving trouble.

go way, i thought they were supposed to be bees knees, never a drip etc unless im thinking of the wrong ones
im open to suggestions though, whatever goes in will have to be doubles though as they will be mounted on pillars between 2 pens

go way, i thought they were supposed to be bees knees, never a drip etc unless im thinking of the wrong ones
im open to suggestions though, whatever goes in will have to be doubles though as they will be mounted on pillars between 2 pens

They look a lot better than the ones we had so maybe they have improved but no way would I go back to a trough with a float for a house again.

I was so sick of crap troughs that I went and made my own type. Alas no more problems and a serious supply of water, even in the straw bedded sheds we came up with a trough with overflow so never again having a wet bed after a trough over flowing. Use the Philmac ballcocks now which give no bother. Probably work out cheaper in the long run

I was so sick of crap troughs that I went and made my own type. Alas no more problems and a serious supply of water, even in the straw bedded sheds we came up with a trough with overflow so never again having a wet bed after a trough over flowing. Use the Philmac ballcocks now which give no bother. Probably work out cheaper in the long run

any pics ozzy?

For cattle fattening on dry diets you need troughs though. For a pen of 10 cattle they would need about 200 gallons a day.

For cattle fattening on dry diets you need troughs though. For a pen of 10 cattle they would need about 200 gallons a day.

Our biggest pen would have 14 finishers in it and they are more than served by one of those.

They are on silage though which wouldn't be wet - last years was around 65% DM, if I rememeber rightly.

these ballcocks??

RXP_105x104.jpg

no, these

http://www.philmac.co.uk/products/details/?type=4&sub=52

have being going in one shed 5 - 7 yrs without given a bother. Valve at bottom of trough and floating rectangular ball cock.
what kind of a float goes on that ozzy.
looks a damn good idea.

i have the galvanised bowls in the shed here, they had a bar welded round them to make them stronger, but they have my heart broke, no doubt they are a good age, but im forever cleaning the dung out of them.
so ive taken to making my own drinkers.
i have to get round to finishing them, for i havnt really got started much on them yet, but the steel is there and folded along with all the parts needed.
i dont have pics yet, but its basically a rectangular shaped box, 1000mm x 500 x 150mm.
a removable lid on the top of it, a baffle plate to fix a valve ( i had intended on putting in ball valves that would be in their own housing so they wouldnt get broke, but i do like ozzys valve there.
aftert hat, there is two doors on both sides, sprung so they stay closed but easily pushed open, only ever 4 odd inches of water in it, but big enough to keep them right too.
drain valve in a bottom corner.
ill galvanise them and cut the section of the trough out of the 6" wall between the pen and the creep.
no more clipping throughs with the wheels any more.
and hopefully no more cleaning out dung.
and no more leaks.
now, i dont know what they will cost, but at a guess id say they would be a dear through, somewhere in the region of 400 each if you were selling them, there is a bit of work in them.

have the shed piped with 25mm pipe insulated with armaflex and clipped to the rafters, 20mm tail pipes down to the troughs insulated as well.
dear, but cheap in the long run imo.

what kind of a float goes on that ozzy.
looks a damn good idea.

i have the galvanised bowls in the shed here, they had a bar welded round them to make them stronger, but they have my heart broke, no doubt they are a good age, but im forever cleaning the dung out of them.
so ive taken to making my own drinkers.
i have to get round to finishing them, for i havnt really got started much on them yet, but the steel is there and folded along with all the parts needed.
i dont have pics yet, but its basically a rectangular shaped box, 1000mm x 500 x 150mm.
a removable lid on the top of it, a baffle plate to fix a valve ( i had intended on putting in ball valves that would be in their own housing so they wouldnt get broke, but i do like ozzys valve there.
aftert hat, there is two doors on both sides, sprung so they stay closed but easily pushed open, only ever 4 odd inches of water in it, but big enough to keep them right too.
drain valve in a bottom corner.
ill galvanise them and cut the section of the trough out of the 6" wall between the pen and the creep.
no more clipping throughs with the wheels any more.
and hopefully no more cleaning out dung.
and no more leaks.
now, i dont know what they will cost, but at a guess id say they would be a dear through, somewhere in the region of 400 each if you were selling them, there is a bit of work in them.

have the shed piped with 25mm pipe insulated with armaflex and clipped to the rafters, 20mm tail pipes down to the troughs insulated as well.
dear, but cheap in the long run imo.
jfc do a plastic one with a lid that is supposed to be good for keeping shite out but not suitable for working between 2 pens i think

http://www.jfc.ie/Agri-DrinkBowls.html
Is it the kdbl2 your thinking of not a bad trough but a fastard to do anything with the fittings . Have the dbl here between 2 pens alright trough .
Tinman's design is the best for internal troughs .
The best trough of all though is a standard dt90 water trough outside the shed with a hole in the wall for cattle to put there head out . Large supply of water available and easy to clean if dirty .

Sent from my phone to your screen .

We had 4 of these sods in the slatted house, old as a field, small, leaking, a pith...got Condon Engineering in Louth to make up a bigger type which would still fit, lovely job, around 100 + vat each.
107.jpg

We had 4 of these sods in the slatted house, old as a field, small, leaking, a pith...got Condon Engineering in Louth to make up a bigger type which would still fit, lovely job, around 100 + vat each.
View attachment 21949

we had those ones in an older shed, they all got fecked up in the end, that piece that covers the ballcock is bad design and seems to rot away

First of all I am very biased on this subject..been making brackets for jfc bowls for a few years now but its another option to throw into the discussion...uploadfromtaptalk1406239483679.jpg make then for the green, blue and kleen version to mounted on an rsj..

But in answer to the question the la buvette bowl is superior to an awful lot that's around, cast iron, quality fittings. Buying a pressed steel bowl for under 30 quid with cheap far east fittings is a false economy....

First of all I am very biased on this subject..been making brackets for jfc bowls for a few years now but its another option to throw into the discussion...View attachment 22073 make then for the green, blue and kleen version to mounted on an rsj..

do you make the frame for the tip over jfc water troughs as well,have one here and am very happy with it

We have the JFC Clean bowl here for over 10 years in 1 shed. Never a drip, never a drop of dung in them. 100% maintenance free for 10 years. We just clean them out before the cattle go in every year!

Back