welder

In a fixed workshop position, I'm sure the mig is a great tool, but for the odd bit of fabrication, repairs and particularly any welding away from the workshop, the stick welder is ample.
They are mantenance free and there are no costs like gas rent involved.
I presume this is why the OP ruled out migs from his first post.

An inverter has the added bonus of being super portable, and being easy to power with a good extension lead. As ive already said, the big old 220amp aircooled in my workshop never comes outside the door now, and my back is all the better for it :yes:

Yes Mike but you should have added, on properly prepered clean metal in a draught free enviroment with enough power to perform spray transfer etc, etc.

Ritchie

invertors imo and i have tried them are utter crap oil cooled are exelent mig`s are better dont touch a shitty invertor

Horses for courses. General fabrication in a workshop then a mig every time.
But repair and modification on the farm yard you can't beat an inverter especially up ladders You can wear it over your shoulder so dont even need to drag leads through the shit.

Horses for courses. General fabrication in a workshop then a mig every time.
But repair and modification on the farm yard you can't beat an inverter especially up ladders You can wear it over your shoulder so dont even need to drag leads through the shit.

i just cant get on with the inverter it is crap . i would still use the mig with gasless wire if i had to use it out side

I dont understand all this talk about inverter and stick welders . Every fabricator and engineere I know only uses mig , every farm with a good workshop I know only uses mig , every one I know only uses mig . I only use mig . I have a stick and an inverter and never use them . I like to have a stick just in case but as for the inverter I could chuck it out I hate the thing an absoulte toy and waste of money .

exactly my point !!
I use a murex250 around the farm no problem just push it into a grain bucket and you can go anywhere and up high if need be i tried the going up ladders with the invertor what a waste of time that was, i will never be convinced invertors are anything but a toy

Seems to me you live in fantasy land I could take you to 4 large enginering factorys in the borders alone making things from postdrivers to tesco super markets trailers truck bodies sheds you name it ! all done with mig welders not a stick in sight all the men will turn there nose up at invertors some of these people are turning over millions of pounds and are widely regarded as very very good so i think they know what there doing you are over technical i bet most here havent a clue what you on about most of the time

Why do you never bother reading and always become condescending and arrogant?

Welding along with engineering is a technical subject if you don't know your stuff and something fails someone dies......, If your welding professionally and its proved that your incompetent your in prison, (worldwide) end off, If you cant understand me, then don't call yourself a "pro welder" your clearly not...

New M/S in a fab shop (like myself) is nearly always welded with MIG (actually MAG) plants....

why..

speed..

Little clean up...

Its a semi automated semi skilled process, MIG ratts are ten a penny

Large shops also use Sub Arc, autoclaves, Robotics, Friction welders and Synergies MIGs....

A farm is not a fab shop, why compare? If all things are equal why are codeings and processes speced for job???.....

Pipe welding is still mostly carried out on site using TIG and ARC, Iv a Friend who teaches 3 year apprenticeships at Edinburgh, Real life training is very very intense, with EVERY FAULT failed till you can move on....

Theres little point in my continuing as its of know help to the O/P theres two of you who clearly know far more than me, tho I doubt have never sat a single coding or passed ott any formal training, or have worked under an inspector.... but hey ignorance is bliss hey....

I repeat in the Vein hope you may listen, there is no one process that fits all....

Why do you never bother reading and always become condescending and arrogant?

Welding along with engineering is a technical subject if you don't know your stuff and something fails someone dies......, If your welding professionally and its proved that your incompetent your in prison, (worldwide) end off, If you cant understand me, then don't call yourself a "pro welder" your clearly not...

New M/S in a fab shop (like myself) is nearly always welded with MIG (actually MAG) plants....

why..

speed..

Little clean up...

Its a semi automated semi skilled process, MIG ratts are ten a penny

Large shops also use Sub Arc, autoclaves, Robotics, Friction welders and Synergies MIGs....

A farm is not a fab shop, why compare? If all things are equal why are codeings and processes speced for job???.....

Pipe welding is still mostly carried out on site using TIG and ARC, Iv a Friend who teaches 3 year apprenticeships at Edinburgh, Real life training is very very intense, with EVERY FAULT failed till you can move on....

Theres little point in my continuing as its of know help to the O/P theres two of you who clearly know far more than me, tho I doubt have never sat a single coding or passed ott any formal training, or have worked under an inspector.... but hey ignorance is bliss hey....

I repeat in the Vein hope you may listen, there is no one process that fits all....

Yea yea what ever, i didnt say i couldnt understand or have you not been reading properly ?? I give up there is no point arguing with you All i have to say is a mig will do everything a farmer wants and can do, a invertor wont cos not many farmers would be able to use a stick these days anyway many think they can with a nice pice of metal on the flat lol ,for farmers mig is king ! PS SNOWCAT EVERYTHING I WELD IS MINE I OWN IT AND I OWN THE WELDER THE METAL EVERYTHING COULD YOU SAY THAT ??

exactly my point !!
I use a murex250 around the farm no problem just push it into a grain bucket and you can go anywhere and up high if need be i tried the going up ladders with the invertor what a waste of time that was, i will never be convinced invertors are anything but a toy

Total crap them inverters . I dont know why folk go on about them . I have a brand new one welded 2 rods if you lot like them so much I will sell it cheap .

Must say I would not wish one on any body

you cant weld rust with a mig , personaly i cant stand stick welders but how many farmers like to pull out there slurry pump and weld it back together in the real world they not going to b arsed to clean it up with a grinder in any case the steal usually that pitted with rust you would have have to grid half way through it befor it would b clean enough

you cant weld rust with a mig , personaly i cant stand stick welders but how many farmers like to pull out there slurry pump and weld it back together in the real world they not going to b arsed to clean it up with a grinder in any case the steal usually that pitted with rust you would have have to grid half way through it befor it would b clean enough

I weld every thing with a mig rusty exhausts rusty landrover chassis the lot

STICK dosent like rust either the cleaner the better for all welding if you cant be arsed to grind and clean up dont even go near the welder your wasteing yer time ,i weld up my slurry pump which has lived in a slurry pit for 19 years now and again with a mig na bother !

I've deleted some posts here. I have no problem with people having opposite 'political' views, but these views should not spill over on to a discussion about welders :confused1:

Back