Welger 235 or 245

Becauka

We're thinking of buying a used baler up to 5 or 6 year old.
What's the different model changes of welger over the years?
What variations, etc were done?
I heard the camless pickup (What is the difference of how they work?) gave trouble?
Thanks.

I heard the camless pickup (What is the difference of how they work?) gave trouble?
Thanks.
Only real difference between 235 and 245 is the pickup . The camless pickup is a dream keep it greased and replace tines when needed and it give you no trouble and will take in any sort of grass short wet grass with little to no issue . The 235 pick up is a poor second to the camless. Has issues with short wet grass building up in front of the rotor . Can be some what improved by fitting a mchale plastic sheet there . Cam bearings are a pain to change on them and prone to snapping the shaft for the bearing if the bearing isn’t replaced when it goes . The early 245 came with the standard pickup . All my experience is with the profi model 245 and 235 main rotor bearing on the drive side needs replacing at 30k bales might need a bearing on the on the back bottom roller drive side at 50k bales . After that they don’t give any real bother (well haven’t in work)

Only real difference between 235 and 245 is the pickup . The camless pickup is a dream keep it greased and replace tines when needed and it give you no trouble and will take in any sort of grass short wet grass with little to no issue . The 235 pick up is a poor second to the camless. Has issues with short wet grass building up in front of the rotor . Can be some what improved by fitting a mchale plastic sheet there . Cam bearings are a pain to change on them and prone to snapping the shaft for the bearing if the bearing isn’t replaced when it goes . The early 245 came with the standard pickup . All my experience is with the profi model 245 and 235 main rotor bearing on the drive side needs replacing at 30k bales might need a bearing on the on the back bottom roller drive side at 50k bales . After that they don’t give any real bother (well haven’t in work)
Are the tines on the camless fixed in position?

5DA149A1-755B-452E-9420-E85240C9F6CC.jpeg
Thanks.

Lloyd won't be afraid to ask nearly as much as a new baler for them. But they do look exceptional.

Got a 245 here with a camless pick up, having trouble with grass getting inside the bands, real bad too!! Cut it all out this morning and within 50 bales it was full right the way across again, what do you reckon is wrong, 2012 model it is.

Got a 245 here with a camless pick up, having trouble with grass getting inside the bands, real bad too!! Cut it all out this morning and within 50 bales it was full right the way across again, what do you reckon is wrong, 2012 model it is.
Did you upgrade

@Win has she got a rise on the bands at the top to get the grass off? Modification came on the later ones that had higher edges for the last 3-4 inch of the band which should stop that,

As Shane has said above. The raised pick up bands help stop that .

If you keep going @Win Will that grass get worse and worse or is that as bad as it'll get?.
Have seen it before, two things could happen. It'll eventually lock up and the slip clutch will come on. The other thing that might happen is that it'll get really hot...

I had a somewhat similar problem a few years ago with a New Holland baler. My problem was it was pulling straw and silage through the comb on the rotor.(non chopper) It nearly drove me mad until I found what was causing it. The tines on the rotor were worn and a bit of a bur had formed on the ends of them and that was pulling the straw through the comb. Five minutes with an angle grinding sorted the problem completely. Looking at the tines on your pickup they seem a bit worn. You just might have the same problem on the pickup, it is very simple to give the ends of the tines a touch of the grinder.

@Win only time iv seen that is first cut of re-seeded ground:scratchhead: you have the raised bans with was to cure that :scratchhead:

If you keep going @Win Will that grass get worse and worse or is that as bad as it'll get?.
Once it filled up that was it, it kept running but obviously hard to turn, took two of us hour and a half to get it out today with taking bands off.
You baling real stemmy kind of grass . Only had that happen twice both times baling first cut in the same field.
Yeah it was some pretty rough stuff and tacky from being lay on the ground, also had it a week ago when it came on to rain, was ok in the dry. Do these run faster than a cam type cause if your in a big row going slow it seems to be pulling at it more than the 220 does?
I had a somewhat similar problem a few years ago with a New Holland baler. My problem was it was pulling straw and silage through the comb on the rotor.(non chopper) It nearly drove me mad until I found what was causing it. The tines on the rotor were worn and a bit of a bur had formed on the ends of them and that was pulling the straw through the comb. Five minutes with an angle grinding sorted the problem completely. Looking at the tines on your pickup they seem a bit worn. You just might have the same problem on the pickup, it is very simple to give the ends of the tines a touch of the grinder.
Hadn't noticed any burrs but it wouldn't need much, it started on the outsides yesterday and gradually filled in to the middle. There was a lot of bits on the outside of the row so thought that was the cause to start with.

Back