Welger AP63 Small Square Baler

ZetorMan98

Apologies if this isn’t the right place to be putting this, but I’ve had it in the head to buy a square baler for a few months now, and have spotted an AP63 for sale. It’d only be for my own bit really and maybe a few for a neighbour or 2 but harmless enough work. I’m told if going right they’re a mighty baler. Anything in particular to look for on them? Wouldn’t know much about square balers in general but as many of ye probably have figured by now, there wouldn’t be much in the line of machinery I wouldn’t tackle.
Any advice or info appreciated

Apologies if this isn’t the right place to be putting this, but I’ve had it in the head to buy a square baler for a few months now, and have spotted an AP63 for sale. It’d only be for my own bit really and maybe a few for a neighbour or 2 but harmless enough work. I’m told if going right they’re a mighty baler. Anything in particular to look for on them? Wouldn’t know much about square balers in general but as many of ye probably have figured by now, there wouldn’t be much in the line of machinery I wouldn’t tackle.
We’ve ap61 here and it’s a great baler to use, the only real problem is moving them after and the fact that you waste so much time hooking to it for small bits here and there on a day you just want to keep the other baler going.

Main things I’d say to check are the twine tension springs, they are under the back of the twine box beside the chamber, I think we had bother getting one and that could be 15 year or more ago. Then make sure the knotters are working, if the label is still on the hood for setting them you’ve something to work from atleast. Check the rollers in the packer to make sure there’s not too much play. Check that the knife edges are good and sharp on the side of the packer and the back edge where the chamber starts and make sure they are running without much of a gap.

Can’t say ours has ever given much bother while I’ve been around it bar a roll pin in one of the “beaks” on the knotter broke and the beak wouldn’t open as a result.

A great baler to take stuff though. I think every year we say to hell with it get rid and we won’t have the hassle with it but it’s still here 😕

Serious baler. I believe they're all gear driven, not a single chain in them afaik. I missed out on a seriously tidy one there over the summer. 20210415_200959.jpg

A PTO shaft cover wouldn't go astray there.

Had a IH 440 up to 2 years ago, not missed by any of us.
Yourman that bought it got a new one. It had been lying up in a shed this 15 years. great baler. What were them old IH's like. Seems to be a few going for very little money on done deal.

Back