What are you up to in the workshop?

I’ve one of those wouldn’t go back its so handy and provides sucha clean cold cut . It does create some metal chips but thats about only con with it but streets ahead of an angle grinder
Would it be a good square cut? I meant would it be worth upgrading to one of those evolution blades compared to the black resin type like below.

1717798008854.jpeg

I think someone in the states makes a toothed blade designed for abrasive saws.

Can't swear to it but I thought I saw mention of it once

Are the evolution chop saws as.fast as an angle grinder or medium sized bandsaw?
Faster.
Honestly, until you have one you won't believe it!

Those old chop saws have a bad tendency to wonder if your a tad too fast.
The Evo won't!

My Evo has seen plenty of abuse, granted not daily workshop work volume, but the blade has done impressively well! Still going with a fair few teeth missing, albeit slower!

The biggest thing that kills the blades is how you line up the material to be cut. For example if you were cutting a flat bar the best way is to mount it vertical, the blade is cutting along the shortest edge, putting it horizontal will absolutely kill the blade as you are trying to cut too much surface area with the cut ... The same can be applied to rectangular box, 100x50 is better cut with the 100mm face vertical..... Once you keep that in mind they will give good service life.

Changed the expansion tanks and coolant in two tractors here.

The tanks had gone completely opaque, and it’s a form of gymnastics to try get up and look through the cap on the Tier 3 7400 and 5400 series Masseys.

IMG_1677.jpegIMG_1689.jpegIMG_1681.jpegIMG_1682.jpegIMG_1690.jpeg

It’s the first time changing the coolant on either tractor, they are only here 3 years (7495) , and 6 months (5475), so was happy to see it looked clean and smelt fresh coming out.

IMG_1679.jpegIMG_1688.jpeg

Getting the old tanks off and the new ones on went easier than I expected. Hardest part was getting in to loosen and tighten the drain plug.

IMG_1683.jpegIMG_1687.jpegIMG_1691.jpeg

The tanks had gone completely opaque, and it’s a form of gymnastics to try get up and look through the cap on the Tier 3 7400 and 5400 series Masseys.

View attachment 138428View attachment 138430View attachment 138422View attachment 138423View attachment 138429

It’s the first time changing the coolant on either tractor, they are only here 3 years (7495) , and 6 months (5475), so was happy to see it looked clean and smelt fresh coming out.

View attachment 138427View attachment 138432

Getting the old tanks off and the new ones on went easier than I expected. Hardest part was getting in to loosen and tighten the drain plug.

View attachment 138424View attachment 138426View attachment 138431
Sisu engines the liners go porous from bad coolant

View attachment 138428View attachment 138430View attachment 138422View attachment 138423View attachment 138429

View attachment 138427View attachment 138432

View attachment 138424View attachment 138426View attachment 138431
Both coolants looked fine and bright.

I know it's no scientific but it's generally a good indicator of how they're doing on corrosion inhibition in my opinion

What coolant did you use ?
Prestone Command HD, at a 45/55 mix with deionised water.

Prestone seems to be a good brand. I got it in the local motor factors Bradshaws (whom I would generally trust and are always good on pricing), but is there any other brand lads would use for tractors?

Last edited:
Prestone Command HD, at a 45/55 mix with deionised water.

Prestone seems to be a good brand. I got it in the local motor factors Bradshaws (whom I would generally trust and are always good on pricing), but is there any other brand lads would use for tractors?
Prestone seems to be the dominant brand. Its most available around here. I just buy the pre mixed mostly now. I just find it handy.

As a general rule how often would ye change coolant on tractor engines?
In my day job a lot of the diesel engines on fire pumps are John Deere engines and they recommend changing coolant annually. I know that’s an overkill for a tractor but what’s considered normal?

In my day job a lot of the diesel engines on fire pumps are John Deere engines and they recommend changing coolant annually. I know that’s an overkill for a tractor but what’s considered normal?
Think the antifreeze and corrosion resistance reduces over the years
Think 5 years tops

Both the manual for the 7495 T3 and 5475 T3 say change every 1200 hours, but if you were only putting 120hrs a year, I wouldn’t be inclined to wait 10 years to change it either.

There's a tractor here will be 30 next year, it's had it's coolant changed once, it still shows as having protection down to minus double figures.

Back