What are you up to in the workshop?

Mild steel patch mig welded to cast iron after preheating the block first. As soon as weld is complete the weld needs to be "peened" or tapped lightly with a pointed hammer to break down or dissolve the molecules in the mig weld that might cause the weld to "lift" away from the block. Job worked out airtight.
You have some knowledge of engineering and machinery. I delight in reading your posts and seeing your photos, if it's not being too nosey where did you learn all this?

You have some knowledge of engineering and machinery. I delight in reading your posts and seeing your photos, if it's not being too nosey where did you learn all this?
Thanks, I learned it all the hard way, try various ways and see what works best. At around ten years old I dismantled a Renault 4 engine just to find out how it worked, more surprising was that I got it back together working again. I seem to take on projects that most would just scrap, I love engineering and mechanics and a challenge that succeeds is very satisfying to me.

I've a tractor here that I only recently discovered didn't have antifreeze in it just water.
Anyway its pure red shite coming out.
I've ran rad flush through it and I've used it for a few hours and drained the water about 12 times now and I'm still getting rusty water.
Any easier cure to get it all out?

I've a tractor here that I only recently discovered didn't have antifreeze in it just water.
Anyway its pure red shite coming out.
I've ran rad flush through it and I've used it for a few hours and drained the water about 12 times now and I'm still getting rusty water.
Any easier cure to get it all out?
Washing soda or dishwasher tablets, but an aluminum radiator mightn’t like it too well. Radflush is well diluted, try a double dose if you want to stay with a safe product and run the engine under as hard a load as you can to get the temp up, block the rad with cardboard if need be.

Washing soda or dishwasher tablets, but an aluminum radiator mightn’t like it too well. Radflush is well diluted, try a double dose if you want to stay with a safe product and run the engine under as hard a load as you can to get the temp up, block the rad with cardboard if need be.
I don't think it's the fact that the rad is blocked with it but I just want to get it out of it.
If I took off the top hose and let water run through the rad?

I don't think it's the fact that the rad is blocked with it but I just want to get it out of it.
If I took off the top hose and let water run through the rad?
Running cold water through a rad will remove very little unless the sediment is loose. Heat and detergent is needed to remove rusty gunk that’s been sitting undisturbed at the bottom of the rad and block for years. If you could shove a hot washer hose through the bottom hose of the rad and reverse flush it would be much better.

Not so much in the workshop but...

Had the lend of a big cherry picker on tracks from a crew putting a new electricity line through the farm. So wanted to fit new bird cages to the farmhouse chimneys, which are rather a long way up. 17m picker was just nice, don't think it had much more reach in it!

Found one pot was in bits, cracked all over and moved when handled, not sure how it was still up there! It's for the log burnerIMG-20201120-WA0001.jpeg so probably heats up and cools down a lot. Decided to find some aluminium tape to tape it up for this winter, will hire a proper big one next year to re do the whole chimney.
Not sure was it the correct thing to do, but it's solid now! Concrete was also cracked, so a bit of silicone to stop water and ice.
20201122_111342.jpg20201122_111345.jpg

Last edited:
What happened that?
It is well below the water, so shouldn't be frost.
Big end bearing cap let go and punched a hole in the block, it couldn’t have picked a better place to exit really. In between the webs and away from the oil galleries.

Had the lend of a big cherry picker on tracks from a crew putting a new electricity line through the farm. So wanted to fit new bird cages to the farmhouse chimneys, which are rather a long way up. 17m picker was just nice, don't think it had much more reach in it!

Found one pot was in bits, cracked all over and moved when handled, not sure how it was still up there! It's for the log burnerView attachment 84650 so probably heats up and cools down a lot. Decided to find some aluminium tape to tape it up for this winter, will hire a proper big one next year to re do the whole chimney.
Not sure was it the correct thing to do, but it's solid now! Concrete was also cracked, so a bit of silicone to stop water and ice.
View attachment 84651View attachment 84652
Had a similar problem with the one here, ended up in a chimney rebuild! It was only 400 years old though...

Reactions: AYF
Had a similar problem with the one here, ended up in a chimney rebuild! It was only 400 years old though...
It did fairly well then! This has only been up 24 yrs! Would expect better tbh!
Chimney was lined with foam crete then, makes me wonder does more heat reach the top with the foamcrete insulating the flue?

Dad is thinking of sticking a big galv pipe up there next time!😂

Found one pot was in bits, cracked all over and moved when handled, not sure how it was still up there! It's for the log burnerView attachment 84650 so probably heats up and cools down a lot. Decided to find some aluminium tape to tape it up for this winter, will hire a proper big one next year to re do the whole chimney.
1606073769654.pngThere is no way you'd get me to go up in one of them, just looking at that is more than enough.:no::scared::sweatdrop:

View attachment 84671There is no way you'd get me to go up in one of them, just looking at that is more than enough.:no::scared::sweatdrop:
I’ve no head for heights either, went up 15 metres in a cherry picker to inspect chimneys here and couldn’t wait to get back down again. But when scaffolding was erected to the same height to repair chimney, the security of the railing and platform was unbelievable. No problem with me being up there then.

Reactions: AYF
That was taken half way down!
The first chimney I had to go through some leylandi trees to get up to it, that was fun with them moving in the breeze!!
The chimneys here are in the centre of the roof so when you're in the cherry picker it's at full stretch and you cant see the base. I'm not wonderful on heights at the best of times but that is a real test of my nerves. I hate it.

You have the tedder parked in the garden???:blink:

You have the tedder parked in the garden???:blink:
Doesn't everyone!?!😂

No. Reaching over from the field, tedder gets the luxury of the leylandi for shelter, such luxuries a shed over machinery isn't a luxury we have unfortunately.

Reactions: Win
I’ve no head for heights either, went up 15 metres in a cherry picker to inspect chimneys here and couldn’t wait to get back down again. But when scaffolding was erected to the same height to repair chimney, the security of the railing and platform was unbelievable. No problem with me being up there then.
I find it psychological,if you go up against a wall your fine but go up out in the open it’s as if you’ve nothing to cling onto.

I find it psychological,if you go up against a wall your fine but go up out in the open it’s as if you’ve nothing to cling onto.
You sound like a mate, they bought a secondhand building a few years back, he rings to see if i'd help get it down. He says 'trouble is i only got one hand to do anything with' Me being a bit slow says 'what you done to the other?' He says 'nothing i'm using it to hold on with!!'......:scared:

You sound like a mate, they bought a secondhand building a few years back, he rings to see if i'd help get it down. He says 'trouble is i only got one hand to do anything with' Me being a bit slow says 'what you done to the other?' He says 'nothing i'm using it to hold on with!!'......:scared:
I put my harness on the other week to go up 15m,heights have never bothered me but 1st time I’ve had my picker up at 15m

I'm ok on heights to a certain extent but it has taken a few years to get to that stage. A few years ago I was putting a bird cage on a chimney on a two storey house we had at the time. The only ladder I could get use of at the time reached to just under the eaves. It was ok getting up but coming back down was another matter entirely, as it was very tricky to see the ladder. Luckily I had someone on the ground to guide me back onto the ladder. I still shudder a little bit thinking about it.

Back