What are you up to in the workshop?

Pacini’s are a good piece of kit, and that’s a great value welder at that price.

I blew up my "good" inverter welder last year running it off a generator. I bought one of those as I had a job to do away from home and it was cheaper than hiring a mobile welder for 2 days.

It has turned out to be a brilliant little welder. The leads are a bit short/cheap but it has welded everything I have put in front of it so far and has ran off the generator the whole time

2.5 and 3.2 rods.

I bought a girder trolley with a view to making one,like most things it’s on the to do list.
You’d make up the carriage in an hour from scratch, four 6205 bearings that had come out of the combines bubble up gearbox and some shaft lathed down to size. Lidl supplied the complete hoist for €50. Cost me around €300 on average for each of the complete gantrys. Longest is 21ft and the shortest is 15ft. All can swing 180 degrees around the workshop.

Bought it there now
Would be hard to go wrong with the 190 amp one in the link for the money.
I haven’t used them but have heard good reports about them Pacinis from a few friends that bought them
Couldn’t resist at that price an will give old artika a break🙈. Thanks for link.

Nicely done job. Have you the shed uprights buried deeper than normal or anything else done to cater for the stresses and what would be the max weight that could be lifted?
I've often thought of putting up one but worried if it'd be too much stress on a pillar.
The electric hoists themselves are rated up to 250kg so no fear of the pillars or shed giving way. I built the gantrys to a much higher capacity so bigger hoists could be fitted. 250 kgs is a respectable weight to lift though, a full barrel of oil is no bother to it. Where they come in handy is for lifting a heavy length of RSJ from the rack and placing it on the bandsaw or if you wanted to lift a fert spreader hopper up or lower it back on inch by inch. Between the four individual hoists in the workshop they can cover most of the floor area in the workshop which is around 3000 sq/ft itself.
The portal frame construction of the shed means that you could lift a lot more if you constructed the hoist and gantry to do so without worrying about pillars bending or uprooting.

The electric hoists themselves are rated up to 250kg so no fear of the pillars or shed giving way. I built the gantrys to a much higher capacity so bigger hoists could be fitted. 250 kgs is a respectable weight to lift though, a full barrel of oil is no bother to it. Where they come in handy is for lifting a heavy length of RSJ from the rack and placing it on the bandsaw or if you wanted to lift a fert spreader hopper up or lower it back on inch by inch. Between the four individual hoists in the workshop they can cover most of the floor area in the workshop which is around 3000 sq/ft itself.
The portal frame construction of the shed means that you could lift a lot more if you constructed the hoist and gantry to do so without worrying about pillars bending or uprooting.
Have you any photos of the steel rack

I'm looking for ideas, I hope to get 7 x 3 or 8 x 4 RSJ of cuts and weld them together to use as uprights and use a piece of box coming out from it then, something like this

Something like that is ideal, must be strong depending on how much stock you plan to hold.
I hold very little steel now, it's too expensive just to have it in case you need it. Normally just buy it clean now as I want it.

Could you use electromagnets?
I'm planning on putting a gantry up here, did you work out the forces at play relative to the length of the beam and materials used?
Do you have measurements and the type of steel used by any chance?
I have the very same hoist from lidl. I plan to mount it in the calving box above a calving gate incase of a c section, the joys of being part timer

I have the very same hoist from lidl. I plan to mount it in the calving box above a calving gate incase of a c section, the joys of being part timer
Good idea, A smaller version of @MF30 's would be ideal as the hoist will need to slide outwards away from the cow as It lifts the calf out

I'm planning on putting a gantry up here, did you work out the forces at play relative to the length of the beam and materials used?
I didn’t work it out but I’d be fairly clued in on what would be suitable at such lengths with up to 250kg. The beam itself is an 8x4 inch RSJ and most of the bracing is 4x2 channel iron I think. The pivot pin is around 1 inch thick.
I have a hoist mounted over the calving gate too in case a calf needs to be lifted up by the back legs to clear its airways.

Some close ups for you, any other questions just shout.
20211118_085913.jpg20211118_085921.jpg20211118_085939.jpg20211118_085946.jpg20211118_090103.jpg20211118_090121.jpg

Just one work of caution i learned from a vet. If the winch is above where the cow is being opened and there is a build up of dirt or dust on the winch then it woll fall directly down to the open cut. Might be better to have the winch mounted offset and have a clean pulley you attach up high when sections are needed. It might sound like overkill but you would be kicking yourself if an infection developed.

Back