What are you up to in the workshop?

You’d make up the carriage in an hour from scratch, four 6205 bearings that had come out of the combines bubble up gearbox and some shaft lathed down to size. Lidl supplied the complete hoist for €50. Cost me around €300 on average for each of the complete gantrys. Longest is 21ft and the shortest is 15ft. All can swing 180 degrees around the workshop.
I only paid £8 for the trolley.👍

I’ve a few Lidl hoists about,one lift the backing gate behind the cows,x2 are on my old foot crush,one on a door,and a couple still in the box.

One of the blades in the mixer wagon snapped off. So had a gander inside and ordered 3 new ones (out of 6) thinking the other 3 were hardly worn, given the top of the auger gets less abuse.

You don't realise quite how much things have worn down till you buy new ones!!Screenshot_20211122-171358_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20211122-171410_Gallery.jpg

One of the blades in the mixer wagon snapped off. So had a gander inside and ordered 3 new ones (out of 6) thinking the other 3 were hardly worn, given the top of the auger gets less abuse.

You don't realise quite how much things have worn down till you buy new ones!!View attachment 100115View attachment 100116
X12 on each auger here,got so worn I found 2 in the feed passage a couple of weeks ago,the bolts had worn the nuts off.

New set of gates for the brother . Material was got 5/6 weeks ago . No choice but get them fitted tonight old set were in a bad way .

View attachment 99918
I always stick in a few loose horizontal bars on the bottom 2 or 3ft of the inside gate up against the cattle. I stops cattle getting there legs stuck if they are messing and also strengthens the gate. Did you get the alu from Houghtons?

Got the alu box off service metals in Dublin. It was the last 4 lengths they had in stock as they closed the 1st of November.
There’s some crowd in the north that stock it but don’t have a name for them . It’s called livestock section. I was on to Fentons the pezzaoli dealer in cork but he had none and was getting it off the crowd in Dublin . Would have bought an extra length to have for spares if I could.
I always stick in a few loose horizontal bars on the bottom 2 or 3ft of the inside gate up against the cattle. I stops cattle getting there legs stuck if they are messing and also strengthens the gate. Did you get the alu from Houghtons?

Got the alu box off service metals in Dublin. It was the last 4 lengths they had in stock as they closed the 1st of November.
There’s some crowd in the north that stock it but don’t have a name for them . It’s called livestock section. I was on to Fentons the pezzaoli dealer in cork but he had none and was getting it off the crowd in Dublin . Would have bought an extra length to have for spares if I could.
Houghtons in the UK were always top notch to deal with before brexit anyway. Would have identical section.

Anyone here know what the studs are called that are used to hold the aluminium panels in the sides of cattle trailers?. I have a job I need to use something a hell of a lot better then pop rivets in.

How about a rivnut
I don't think that's them Aidan. I was looking at a Broughan trailer in the mart last week and the fasteners that were used in it's sides looked a lot stronger then rivnuts. They looked like they'd clamp the aluminium sides on wax tight and keep them that way.

I don't think that's them Aidan. I was looking at a Broughan trailer in the mart last week and the fasteners that were used in it's sides looked a lot stronger then rivnuts. They looked like they'd clamp the aluminium sides on wax tight and keep them that way.
If you gave Broughans a ring they would tell you,obliging fellows

Knew this day was coming and had been dreading it happening. Fan belt on the digger decide to be come a long straight piece of rubber rather than a circle last night 😑 the last time it happened was the day before Christmas Eve at 4pm and no where open to get a belt. All of Christmas Eve was spent trying to get the pump shaft out of the bottom pulley after luckily getting a belt from a friend.

Today tho we got on well, all out and back in around an hour some of which was spent searching for the right nut! GLad I covered it all in copper grease the last time as I’m pretty sure I’d to lever away the pump but today it slid out once the bolts were out.5D006169-7472-4EDB-9EF1-A42A195B5B4F.jpeg9C6D05F3-EB3D-4627-B530-E2C4CB7C04F9.jpegF534C83F-CF41-40E0-A5B1-A2CC51FC0D51.jpeg

Knew this day was coming and had been dreading it happening. Fan belt on the digger decide to be come a long straight piece of rubber rather than a circle last night 😑 the last time it happened was the day before Christmas Eve at 4pm and no where open to get a belt. All of Christmas Eve was spent trying to get the pump shaft out of the bottom pulley after luckily getting a belt from a friend.

Today tho we got on well, all out and back in around an hour some of which was spent searching for the right nut! GLad I covered it all in copper grease the last time as I’m pretty sure I’d to lever away the pump but today it slid out once the bolts were out.View attachment 100207View attachment 100208View attachment 100209
Could you put in a second belt and tie it out of the way, save a lot of ripping next time.

Today tho we got on well, all out and back in around an hour some of which was spent searching for the right nut! GLad I covered it all in copper grease the last time as I’m pretty sure I’d to lever away the pump but today it slid out once the bolts were out.View attachment 100207View attachment 100208View attachment 100209
You do house calls when the belt goes on my lawnmower ?

Back