What are you up to in the workshop?

Truly the definition of driving till it stops. Lucky he doesn't go too fast and the wheel came off in the field. When I was a young lad he always complained that I broke everything. Now it's gone full circle and this last few weeks he seems to break everything he touches

It's fixed now but took a bit of work

20220803_185003.jpg20220803_185010.jpg20220803_185022.jpg20220803_185031.jpg

Showing my young lad how to tip trailers and not hit the roof in a low shed last week and hit the roof twice, second time fair damage to the door and rail.🫢

The only lesson I could give then was he who breaks fixes, to be fair he must have felt sorry for me he gave me a hand to fix it!

Truly the definition of driving till it stops. Lucky he doesn't go too fast and the wheel came off in the field. When I was a young lad he always complained that I broke everything. Now it's gone full circle and this last few weeks he seems to break everything he touches

It's fixed now but took a bit of work

View attachment 111294View attachment 111295View attachment 111296View attachment 111297
What make of quad?
I’ve a bearing squeaky on my little Honda’s left hand back axle.

What's the building called.
Around here there referred to as " The Barn Loft "
Yea, barn loft is what we call it as well. I think it was for storing grain back in the day. We have an old corn mill on the other side of the yard, so I presume the the grain was rolled and dried there and then stored in the loft of this building

Been taking a break from the forums for a while but i've not been idle. got one or two jobs to put up on here that might interest and i've bought some more gear at auctions including two lathes

this is one

and this is the other

second one was quite heavy, i went with the JXU to fetch it as it was only 20 miles from where i live, but it as too heavy for the JXU to lift. eventually managed to lift it with the tractor and the forklift that was on site lifting together.

What it doesn't tell you about the first one in the listing is that it was in an upstairs room, which was also fun for loading.

I've been having a sort out in the workshop to make room, for the new machine tools, still a way to go on that one but i'm getting there, i'd got a load of rusty tooling from another sale that was too good to throw away but not worth much in it's rusty state so on a whim i bought some derusting fluid on ebay.

the stuff i bought was called evaporust, i was a bit sceptical but very impressed with the results.

i nearly threw this in the skip because it was so rusty

tools1 (24).jpg

this is after 24 hours in the evaporust bath

tools1 (25).jpg

and painted and back together

tools+crops (25).jpg

these taps and dies were red rusty

tools1 (27).jpg

Been taking a break from the forums for a while but i've not been idle. got one or two jobs to put up on here that might interest and i've bought some more gear at auctions including two lathes

this is one

and this is the other

second one was quite heavy, i went with the JXU to fetch it as it was only 20 miles from where i live, but it as too heavy for the JXU to lift. eventually managed to lift it with the tractor and the forklift that was on site lifting together.

What it doesn't tell you about the first one in the listing is that it was in an upstairs room, which was also fun for loading.

I've been having a sort out in the workshop to make room, for the new machine tools, still a way to go on that one but i'm getting there, i'd got a load of rusty tooling from another sale that was too good to throw away but not worth much in it's rusty state so on a whim i bought some derusting fluid on ebay.

the stuff i bought was called evaporust, i was a bit sceptical but very impressed with the results.

View attachment 111422

View attachment 111423

View attachment 111421

View attachment 111424

Have you tried cheapo Cola for rust?
That or

Have you tried cheapo Cola for rust?
That or
I've tried it to unseize stuck engines with mixed success, coke is essentially an acid that eats the oxidising away. in theory. it does work but i'd say this stuff does a better job. this can be reused until it loses its potency but i did a fair bit of stuff before it ran out of steam.

I now have drawer full of large whitworth taps and dies that are all nice and shiny instead of rust coloured, should come in handy if i ever need to buy a steam engine.

I've tried it to unseize stuck engines with mixed success, coke is essentially an acid that eats the oxidising away. in theory. it does work but i'd say this stuff does a better job. this can be reused until it loses its potency but i did a fair bit of stuff before it ran out of steam.

I now have drawer full of large whitworth taps and dies that are all nice and shiny instead of rust coloured, should come in handy if i ever need to buy a steam engine.
Need a fair tank of the stuff to soak a steam engine 😂

How likely are to you to buy a steam engine ? 🤔

this is one

and this is the other

View attachment 111422

View attachment 111423

View attachment 111421

View attachment 111424
Those lathes look like quality pieces of kit, Kerry lathes were highly regarded

Great work on a Lovely building .
What size of entrance is into it, and have you much space in it?
There is a standard size door into the workshop part of it, there was a double door into it as well but we put a big window in it instead. It's 10 metres long and 5 metres deep, on the outside, it's not a big space but I make it do

Back